Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default If you were Cleverly's promoter...would you put him in with Hopkins?

Well? I know its not remotely likely but hypothetically speaking.

Having seen Hopkins in his last two outings, struggle (relatively) with fighters you'd expect him to dominate and impress against. Losing rounds to both. Getting hit a lot more than we've come to expect from a master defensive fighter. Getting hit by what seemed to be pretty ordinary punches to the back of the head and rolling around on the floor like he'd been harpooned, trying to get a break presumably, numerous times.

On the other hand, of course he still has that ring IQ. He's still strong in the clinches. He still roughs fighters up, hits on the blindside of the ref, all that nonsense (but can't take a bit of rough treatment himself ). It's always talked about how fighters aren't the same again after Hopkins treatment and it could be true. He still has a good defence though his reflexes are obviously fading and handspeed is a proven formula for success against him. He can presumably still pick good counters, though we havn't seen that in his last two outings so much due to how the fights panned out.

Cleverly has handspeed to trouble Hopkins. He has a variety of punch which you need, you can't throw the same punches or Hopkins neutralizes you as Pavlik found out. He has great stamina and punch output, that can't be disputed, Calzaghe beat him with high output. So you'd think he has the basis of a style to give this version of Hopkins trouble, though obviously the main concern is his defence which Hopkins could pick apart, and him being a relative novice that might not have the know how to overcome Hopkins tricks.

Is it a risk worth taking? Would Cleverly be getting Hopkins at the perfect time, so that he could win but also get due credit? Do you see Cleverly troubling Hopkins or even winning? Or does he have no chance in your mind?
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019
Default Re: If you were Cleverly's promoter...would you put him in with Hopkins?

No, I'd look at Glencoffe.

RJJ would be another but Johnson would be my first port of call.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Leo Ross
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 713
Default Re: If you were Cleverly's promoter...would you put him in with Hopkins?

Definately, too good an opportunity to pass up if it ever came about.
Leo Ross is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

Its a no lose situation if he ever fought him. He'd probably learn so much in defeat without taking huge amounts of punishment.

Hopkins would obviously never take the fight. He's after the big pay days,quite rightly so.
TheUzi is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

No he should fight someone near Euro level first.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Leo Ross
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUzi View Post
Its a no lose situation if he ever fought him. He'd probably learn so much in defeat without taking huge amounts of punishment.

Hopkins would obviously never take the fight. He's after the big pay days,quite rightly so.
Whether people like him or not, Hopkins is a huge name in boxing and the opportunity to share the ring would be a huge thing for Cleverly, like Barrera for Amir.
Leo Ross is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

If the opportunity came, then yes I would take it. Plus a loss to him isn't exactly the end of the world is it? He would learn 10x more from the fight, win, lose or draw, than any of his previous fights.

I think Lacy might be an option Frank looks at, wouldn't cost too much now to bring him over here and if Clev did a similar job to him that Calzaghe did then they can really push the 'new Calzaghe' angle when promoting him.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post

Johnson would be a great effort from ****** and would show us where he is at.

No way would Hopkins take the fight as Clev is unknown. He would have to tell him that he is Joe's brother and that is the closest he will ever get to a re-match with Joe.
Will is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post

Any reason why?

Based on their last two outings I'd rather face Hopkins than Glen based on Cleverly's strengths. His main strength is handspeed and a good engine. The gameplan would be to expose Hopkins age in the fight, quite a simple one.

Glen still fights 12 hard rounds and never stops coming. He looked pretty decent against Mack compared to Hopkins against Jones and Ornelas.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

To be honest I think ayone near world level will destroy Clev right now.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
If the opportunity came, then yes I would take it. Plus a loss to him isn't exactly the end of the world is it? He would learn 10x more from the fight, win, lose or draw, than any of his previous fights.

I think Lacy might be an option Frank looks at, wouldn't cost too much now to bring him over here and if Clev did a similar job to him that Calzaghe did then you have yourself the 'new Calzaghe' etc.
At this point I think Manfedo would give him the better fight as Lacy is truly finished.
Will is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Lacy would be a good fight to hype to clueless people. 'Dangerous puncher, Calzaghe victim...blahblah'. Yeah I could see that.

But at the same time its completely worthless and not remotely a test as we know. Lacy's perceived power is absolutely useless because he can't throw punches and Cleverly would just box circles round him all night.

So yeah, I can see it happening !
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
At this point I think Manfedo would give him the better fight as Lacy is truly finished.
Without a doubt Lacy wouldn't provide much, if anything, in the actual fight, but a low risk fight that gets his fighter plenty of exposure = something Mr ****** likes
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Without a doubt Lacy wouldn't provide much, if anything, in the actual fight, but a low risk fight that gets his fighter plenty of exposure = something Mr ****** likes
Which is more or less why I thought Manfredo. Remember the weights though.
Will is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

No...

He'd lose and look bad in doing so.
Lee Mc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum