Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #61
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tommy Hearns vs. Oscar De La Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I notice ALL your examples are of Hearns at 160 or more excepting one Robbi. Hearns has a helluva lot of fights below 160 vs decent fighters where he didn't have a problem. Hearns was on the downslide vs Kinchen, Barkley and Roldan, and these men are a helluva lot bigger and stronger than DLH and Mosley. Crikey, both were quite natural at 135. We saw what Hearns did to Duran, who has a better chin than both and is a better fighter than both. Certainly loses nothing power wise either. Could you see Mosely and DLH giving Hagler a good fight? I also don't see DLH and Mosely as the big bombers you do at 147. Imagine Hearns red hot poker of a left hook to the body vs DLH after watching Hopkins stop him with a comparatively innocuous shot. DLH is quite simply out of his element.
JT. I think you maybe go best and start again. From the finish of your post it seems you think I take De La Hoya to beat Hearns, not the case. And I never said that Mosley and De La Hoya were both bombers, aka serious knockout artists. However, I did say Mosley threw bombs against De La Hoya during the 12th round of their first fight. My personal definition of throwing bombs "letting go with power punches". What I will say without question, De La Hoya has enough power in his left hook to wobble and floor Hearns. Now with that statement Im not making a case for De La Hoya here, Im just saying he could give Hearns some trouble. But Its Hearns on points.

And nothing wrong with me stating the quality of Hearns' chin at 160lbs and above, as I simply said De La Hoya had the better chin throughout their careers. If you actually read my last post on page 4, you will see the fair comparison about both guys moving up in weight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #62
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
My arguement is their chins through their careers, not just 147lbs.
What examples would you give of DLH surviving similar blows to what Hearns did in the Hagler and Roldan fights? These are big men, and quite big hitters.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #63
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
What examples would you give of DLH surviving similar blows to what Hearns did in the Hagler and Roldan fights? These are big men, and quite big hitters.
My last post on page 4 covers that.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #64
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
And my first post as well on page 4.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #65
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
And my first post as well on page 4.
Would you still stand behind this comment

Quote:
I would go as far to say if anyone thinks Hearns has a better chin than De La Hoya, your either a Hearns nuthugger or a De La Hoya hater.
Seems to me that the subject at hand regarding chins is potentially close enough for the above to be quite rash to be honest.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #66
quintonjacksonfan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Why Oscar got knocked down by two nobodies at 130 pounds
Only one fighter knocked down Hearns under 160 pounds and that was SRL

I would go as far to say if anyone thinks Hearns has a better chin than De La Hoya, your either a Hearns nuthugger or a De La Hoya hater.
quintonjacksonfan is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #67
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabin
At welterweight Hearns was a freak of nature. He would annihilate De la Hoya, who, for once, would feel like one of the vastly smaller opponents he regularly feasted on early in his career.

I can think of no way De la Hoya could win. Only many different ways he could lose.
You overrate Hearns at 147 lbs, donīt forget, he was 6ī2 tall, making Welterweight-limit was very difficult for him, thatīs why he had for example stamina-issues...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #68
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Would you still stand behind this comment

Seems to me that the subject at hand regarding chins is potentially close enough for the above to be quite rash to be honest.
Tell me this JT. Why does Hearns have a reputation as having a weak chin, yet De La Hoya on the other hand has the reputation as having a solid chin?.

Now, Im not saying De La Hoya has a Hagler like chin, and Hearns on the otherhand has one of the worst chins in history. Hearns was much more vulnerable at showing the effects of his opponents punches, aka being wobbled and being all over the place.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #69
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintonjacksonfan
Why Oscar got knocked down by two nobodies at 130 pounds
Only one fighter knocked down Hearns under 160 pounds and that was SRL

Whatīs wrong with that? Did you see the fights? DLH simply fought too wild and got catched with a flush shot. Valenzuola knocked him down, but DLH KOīd him in the same round, and Campanella was a hard hitter at that weight, he caught DLH with a beatiful left hook, but DLh showed his chin and heart and KOīd him in the 3rd round...
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #70
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Hearns KO 5. Since when is the Golden Man in Hearns' class to last the distance?

Oscar is just sickeningly overrated.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #71
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabin
At welterweight Hearns was a freak of nature. He would annihilate De la Hoya, who, for once, would feel like one of the vastly smaller opponents he regularly feasted on early in his career.

I can think of no way De la Hoya could win. Only many different ways he could lose.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #72
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hearns wins this quite simply because he's bigger,faster and more skillful.Simple as that.

But I'll say this for Oscar he did have a very good chin and an excellent skill-set but for some odd reason he never really settled on what style of fighter he wanted to be.Whether that was because he changed trainers every second fight I don't know,but when he fought Whitaker he was a defensive minded boxer against a guy who didn't have the power to hurt him,when he should've been more aggressive.

Then after comfortably out-boxing Trinidad for 8 rounds he decides to turn into a runner as though he was suddenly fearful of Tito's power after it not being a factor at all earlier in the fight.

Then in the first fight with Mosley he got some good work going coming forward behind the jab as an aggressive stalker but then decides to stop using it after the halfway point.He still walks forward but gets beaten to the punch for round after round until Mosley took control of the fight.

Possibly his endurance was suspect as some allege but I just think he fought in two minds too often for his own good.

Tommy Hearns was confident in his ability to outbox and KO anyone he fought and always fought with the authority this accorded.

So I'll go with Hearns by TKO 9.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #73
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
You overrate Hearns at 147 lbs, donīt forget, he was 6ī2 tall, making Welterweight-limit was very difficult for him, thatīs why he had for example stamina-issues...
I can't see there being a stamina issue in this fight when the much more active SRL took 14 rounds to stop Hearns, and DLH is no stamina king himself.

No one will expose the other's stamina.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #74
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Hearns KO 5. Since when is the Golden Man in Hearns' class to last the distance?

Oscar is just sickeningly overrated.
Joe Calzaghe
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #75
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
I can't see there being a stamina issue in this fight when the much more active SRL took 14 rounds to stop Hearns, and DLH is no stamina king himself.

No one will expose the other's stamina.
That´s because he 5 rounds (against the likes of Primera, Shields, etc.), DLH would be another calibre...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum