Old 04-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970
Default Green vs Siaca lead-up

Green throws pre-emptive jab at mouthy Man

Sydney Morning Herald - DANIEL LANE April 11, 2010

WORLD cruiserweight champion Danny Green has some advice for arch rival Anthony Mundine if he intends to comment on Green's fight with Manny Siaca in Perth on Wednesday: don't.

Siaca wrenched the WBA super-middleweight title from Mundine in 2004 when, after flooring the Australian in the second round, he won the bout by a split decision.

The Puerto Rican has fought only six times since. His last outing ended in a first-round knock-out victory over American journeyman George Klinesmith as a middleweight a year ago. While Green intends to destroy the man who conquered The Man, he's braced for Mundine to make some disparaging comments.

''Anthony Mundine should refrain from saying anything,'' Green said. ''The fact is he had the opportunity to be in that ring against me but he's too much of a *****. Mundine had a massive opportunity - massive - but he didn't take it.

''Anything he might want to say about me fighting Siaca lacks credibility because he won't fight me. People need to remember he kept calling me out of retirement; he entered the ring to challenge me after I knocked out his mate Roy Jones [jnr] and he scurried out of it embarrassed when the crowd booed him.

''My tip is he should be smart and bite that tongue of his that he keeps tripping over tie it in a knot.''

Had all gone to plan, Green would be fighting American great Bernard Hopkins after his last-start 122-second demolition of Jones jnr last December.

After raising hopes he would fight Green in Australia, Hopkins priced himself out of the match before agreeing to box Jones in Las Vegas last Sunday in an exhibition.

Green said watching Hopkins hit the canvas after receiving what appeared to be ''crow pecks'' from Jones meant there was no way he'd now offer the cash that was originally posted.

The West Australian made clear his anger towards Jones, who critics say poisoned Australia's ''greatest boxing moment'' by alleging Green wore illegal hand wraps.

''Roy Jones disrespected his own legacy by making those false allegations,'' Green said. ''That [allegation] and the other excuses were made for a first-round demolition he never imagined. It's sad he can't accept he was beaten fair and square.

''He says the referee stopped it too early, he was going to get carried out. He said I punched him in the back of the head; if he watches the fight he'll see I hit him square on the temple. The temple is on the side of the head.''

Green was, however, impressed by Siaca's vow to beat him by KO after he voiced concerns he wouldn't get a fair shake on the judges' cards in Perth.

''I think it's fantastic he wants the KO,'' Green said. ''But he's wrong in believing that about home-town decisions because Australia is a fair country.''
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Green vs Siaca lead-up

Im looking forward to the fight Wednesday...its funny Green can't stop talking about choc every press interview
ashley is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Im looking forward to the fight Wednesday...its funny Green can't stop talking about choc every press interview

Did you really say that?

Coming from you....
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Pot... kettle...
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

It is a pot/kettle job Ash, but you don't have to fight Siaca on wednesday night.

Yeah, Green's focus should be soley on Siaca at this stage.

We saw what happened to Roy when he was half focused on Hopkins in the lead-up to the Green bout.

Will concede Green makes some interesting points there though, and in pretty humourous manner. He's certainly right in saying that under the circumstances Mundine has no right to comment.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
It is a pot/kettle job Ash, but you don't have to fight Siaca on wednesday night.

Yeah, Green's focus should be soley on Siaca at this stage.

We saw what happened to Roy when he was half focused on Hopkins in the lead-up to the Green bout.

Will concede Green makes some interesting points there though, and in pretty humourous manner. He's certainly right in saying that under the circumstances Mundine has no right to comment.
Yeah..anybody would think Green punched **** out of Mundine last time the way he's talking
ashley is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Anybody else would think he's trying to sell this fight and the inevitable return...
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeah..anybody would think Green punched **** out of Mundine last time the way he's talking
Agree to some extent Ash.

Fact is though that Green has done all but roll out the red carpet for a re-match. So anything Mundine might have to say about this particular bout is pretty irrelevant, at least at the present time.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

Quote:
****en oath.Green is lucky that Australians generally have little knowledge of boxing and in the main hate Mundine.Mundine called him out when he was campaigning at SMW .Green came out of his Garay inspired retirement and challenged Mundine when he was about to fight his first fight against Taylor at MW.and wants the fight at LHW
i mean Danny in the press is becoming much worse than Mundine.he must think people have no memories.llets go back to Dec 3.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

i love the bit at the bottom.'whats next Bernard Hopkins,fighting in America,who knows?'
the reality fighting someone ranked 56th who has fought 5 times in 5 years the last at MW at the boxing mecca that is Perth WA
ROLL UP,ROLL UP THE CIRCUS IS IN FULL SWING FORUMITES.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

It's certainly a two ring circus now SM. No question about it.

There's been occassions where either of them have called out the other. But the fact remains that Green's comeback was completely motivated by Khoder's desire for Green v Mundine II, nothing else.

At present Green holds the high ground with Mundine regarding any comments he might have re Green v Siaca. Mundine's comments at present are totally irrelevant.

But what you say is correct, both camps are carrying on like circus' and have been for some time.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

im not sure.Mundine beat Green handily first time.he did try and bait Green with his stupid chicken stunt that Calzaghe tried to bait Ottke into a fight years ago.Mundine looked small at SMW when beside Siaca,Kessler especcially.i dont think Mundine fights him at CW he would get monstered.if this fight happens it will be at a catchweight IMO.like Pavlik/Hopkins 170 or thereabouts otherwise Mundine wont fight him.and why should he.he didnt call him out of retirement to fight him at CW.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
im not sure.Mundine beat Green handily first time.he did try and bait Green with his stupid chicken stunt that Calzaghe tried to bait Ottke into a fight years ago.Mundine looked small at SMW when beside Siaca,Kessler especcially.i dont think Mundine fights him at CW he would get monstered.if this fight happens it will be at a catchweight IMO.like Pavlik/Hopkins 170 or thereabouts otherwise Mundine wont fight him.and why should he.he didnt call him out of retirement to fight him at CW.
Dunno about that, he has been on record to say this about Green.....

''I'm fighting at junior middleweight now and my next bout is scheduled at junior middleweight - that's 69.9 kilograms. [But] I'll tell you what, we will make it even. I'll fight at middleweight and he can fight at heavyweight. That might help to even it up,'' Mundine said.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/ill-take-on-green-anytime-says-choc-20091204-kb07.html

Sox is offline  Top
Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Yeah fair points SM.

I reckon if and when they do meet again, it'll be for CW title, assuming Green still holds it at the time. That would appear to be a reasonable extra incentive for Mundine also.

Logically it'll be a catch-weight affair. But if it is there's probably scope for Green to come in heavy, but still under the real CW limit.

Eventually Green should or will be forced to defend against a quality and 'natural' body weight cruiser - that will be a moment of truth for him - and he may well relinquish the belt and fight Mundine at that time. Still he's gotta get past wednesday night first.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Dunno about that, he has been on record to say this about Green.....

''I'm fighting at junior middleweight now and my next bout is scheduled at junior middleweight - that's 69.9 kilograms. [But] I'll tell you what, we will make it even. I'll fight at middleweight and he can fight at heavyweight. That might help to even it up,'' Mundine said.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/ill-take-on-green-anytime-says-choc-20091204-kb07.html

thats just Mundine being Mundine.a MW fighting a HW is absurd that was tongue in cheek.though Greeny would like that as the one-sided Calzaghe-Lacy type shellacking he received in 2006 still plays on his mind.he wants all the advantages he can get.if i was Mundine i would continue at MW and let Green continue calling him out in the press knowing that where it counts in the ring he owned him badly.and it still plays on his mind.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
thats just Mundine being Mundine.a MW fighting a HW is absurd that was tongue in cheek.
Of course, but as usual it opens him up for plenty of flak by the layman.
I reckon a catch weight fight will happen though, and the gap will be pretty big.
Sox is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum