Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876
Default Is a Groves vs Degale clash inevitable?

Is a Groves vs Degale clash inevitable at British title level?

I know a lot of people think this clash would only eventually take place if both reach world title level, the anticipation making the fight even more meaningful, but how does ****** keep both fighters apart that long?

I mention ****** in particular as he clearly has more to lose if his fighter were to be defeated, considering the large amounts of money he is rumoured to be paying Degale.

Groves already has the Commonwealth title and is surely closer to a shot at the British title than Degale. Should Groves add the Lonsdale to his Commonwealth title, I don't see him relinquishing either title in the manner in which a couple of recent Commonwealth champs have done so to enable a stable mate to win a vacant title.

So what title will Degale fight for in the next 1-2 years?
Will ****** have him fight for a series of intercontinental/international titles?

Would Degale be happy fighting for these lesser second tier titles that have no real meaning? They may inflate his world ranking, but I don't see them satiating his ego.

In a recent interview Degale claimed: 'I'm obviously looking forward to it (fighting for the WBA Inter-Continental title) but I believe it is just a stepping stone because my real aim is to be British champion by the end of the year.'

So he clearly wants to fight for legitimate, genuine titles. But for some reason I just can't see this fight happening in the immediate future. Probably because so many of these touted domestic clashes have failed to materialise recently.

And on a side note where does Tony Jeffries fit in to the British smw picture?

Maloney has a really hard job on his hands bringing Jeffries on. He's obviously a moneymaker and I think Maloney will try to bring him on much slower than the other two to see how the division unfolds. Maybe have him fight for area and then English titles before making a move. Not even a move up to light heavy would really make things any easier for him, because as we all know Bellew awaits, and is next in line for a British title shot.
ollyc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is a Groves vs Degale clash inevitable?

i think frank ****** will avoid groves for as long as possible
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Jeffries is a long way behind DeGale and Groves.....and I cant see that changing. dont be suprised if he goes up to light heavy, in a years time bellew and clev will have moved on from there, and beyond them theres not much to shout about
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
i think frank ****** will avoid groves for as long as possible
If Groves is the British/Commonwealth champ how does ****** achieve this without Degale losing face?
When the Khan Thaxton/Murray never materialised Khan was the Commonwealth champ. He had a 'legitimate title'. If Degale fights exclusively for intercontinental/international titles he won't be able to headline shows (unless Sky make a special exception which I suppose is possible).
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
PAULMUFC1999
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I would love to see this fight but ****** wont let it happen, groves has no reason to vacate to let a stable mate win a vacant, because degale isnt his stable mate, i think degale will be manouvered away from groves aslong as poss, would be a great fight i think as they realy do not like eachother, ****** will prob get degale a cheap world title and avoid all tougher domestic challanges, as he did with khan, this would also satisfy degales ego as he would have the belt to say he's one above groves
PAULMUFC1999 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
If Groves is the British/Commonwealth champ how does ****** achieve this without Degale losing face?
When the Khan Thaxton/Murray never materialised Khan was the Commonwealth champ. He had a 'legitimate title'. If Degale fights exclusively for intercontinental/international titles he won't be able to headline shows (unless Sky make a special exception which I suppose is possible).
the answer is the reason frank ****** is so good at his job. id love degale to fight groves for the british. the fight wud be massive imo
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

These are the fights that should be for the British title, the best vs the best.

Quite a lot of British title fights have been contested by fighters barely within the top 10. The board need to scrap the bullshit rule stopping world champions holding domestic belts..... so what if the titles are held up?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULMUFC1999 View Post
I would love to see this fight but ****** wont let it happen, groves has no reason to vacate to let a stable mate win a vacant, because degale isnt his stable mate, i think degale will be manouvered away from groves aslong as poss, would be a great fight i think as they realy do not like eachother, ****** will prob get degale a cheap world title and avoid all tougher domestic challanges, as he did with khan, this would also satisfy degales ego as he would have the belt to say he's one above groves
I'm aware that they aren't stable mates; I referred to Cleverly relinquishing his commonwealth title because it was one way in which ****** managed to prevent a domestic showdown between two of his up and coming fighters. Since Groves is not his fighter there is no chance of this happening. I couldn't see Groves excepting step aside money even if he was a ****** fighter.
As regards getting Degale a 'cheap world title', Degale is a long, long way of that level. Even WBO level. I don't see what ****** will do for him in the short term other than have him unify those crummy intercontinental titles.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
shaun_brown

vCash: 500

The fight will happen when there are five or six zeros in the pay cheque for each fighter. Not for a couple of years yet.
shaun_brown is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

This will probably happen dependiing on unforeseeable events. From what I've seen I'd have it a close fight. No one is going to rush this fight and risk sacrificing a potential cash cow.
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

No Frank ****** is in an inevitable fight. Frank could make Cain avoid Abel if he wanted. Don't ask me how but Frank continously has guys in the hardest divisions avoiding the biggest fights but fighting for titles i.e. Cook, Arthur, now Mitchell etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
This will probably happen dependiing on unforeseeable events. From what I've seen I'd have it a close fight. No one is going to rush this fight and risk sacrificing a potential cash cow.
fight soon and a re-match cud make a whole lot more paper. then if were lucky we cud have a trilogy
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
No Frank ****** is in an inevitable fight. Frank could make Cain avoid Abel if he wanted. Don't ask me how but Frank continously has guys in the hardest divisions avoiding the biggest fights but fighting for titles i.e. Cook, Arthur, now Mitchell etc

As I said before though: what titles is Degale going to fight for if not the British or Commonwealth?
Edit: I forgot to mention that Cook & Arthur both won British/Commonwealth/European titles. Mitchell won British & Commonwealth titles aswell as a host of shitty intercontinental titles. They all won legit titles.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
fight soon and a re-match cud make a whole lot more paper. then if were lucky we cud have a trilogy

Agreed, but I'm not sure that ****** wants to take the risk with Degale. Got a feeing he's trying to build a Khan replacement and we know what that means...
KingCobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum