Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #16
NoHomeJerome
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Is a Groves vs Degale clash inevitable?

Frank ******.
NoHomeJerome is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Agreed, but I'm not sure that ****** wants to take the risk with Degale. Got a feeing he's trying to build a Khan replacement and we know what that means...
na mate ur fight. i was just dreaming
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #18
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

****** will probably find a way to avoid it, if anyone can it's him.
Degale will probably be fighting for Inter-Continental titles for a little while yet, probably till ****** thinks Brian Magee has declined enough and Degale has become experienced enough for that fight.

Then he'll have Degale get into the shape of his life and make Magee too tempting an offer on about 3 weeks notice.......job done.

Or something to that effect, but god knows he'll find a way.
BigEars is online now  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

It will be avoided for as long as possible until Groves looks beatable and/or there is major money involved
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
****** will probably find a way to avoid it, if anyone can it's him.
Degale will probably be fighting for Inter-Continental titles for a little while yet, probably till ****** thinks Brian Magee has declined enough and Degale has become experienced enough for that fight.

Then he'll have Degale get into the shape of his life and make Magee too tempting an offer on about 3 weeks notice.......job done.

Or something to that effect, but god knows he'll find a way.
Surely if things have gone to plan Magee would've fought for a world title by then?
Magee/Smith is a natural fight to make; if Smith wins he wins the Euro title which imo is still very prestiguous despite the calibre of some of the recent fighters to win the belt, & if Magee wins he gets a top five ranking with the WBO.
With two of their top four tied up in the super six he would be very close to a shot at Stieglitz. So one way or another I expect him to be done with that Euro strap in the near future.
The same applies if Smith proves victorious as well.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #21
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyc View Post
I'm aware that they aren't stable mates; I referred to Cleverly relinquishing his commonwealth title because it was one way in which ****** managed to prevent a domestic showdown between two of his up and coming fighters. Since Groves is not his fighter there is no chance of this happening. I couldn't see Groves excepting step aside money even if he was a ****** fighter.
As regards getting Degale a 'cheap world title', Degale is a long, long way of that level. Even WBO level. I don't see what ****** will do for him in the short term other than have him unify those crummy intercontinental titles.
frank could give degale a shot at paul smith in a voluntery defence of the British that would propel him above groves should he win,imo degale is the best SMW in the UK.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
frank could give degale a shot at paul smith in a voluntery defence of the British that would propel him above groves should he win,imo degale is the best SMW in the UK.
u joking.....
i think smith and groves beat degale at the moment but give him some time and he will come good
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
ollyc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Maybe so, but Groves would soon become Degale's mandatory.
And were Degale to beat Smith, I don't think we could see a repeat of what happened with Hatton after he beat Thaxton and immediately gave the British title up to pursue the WBU.
ollyc is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #24
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

It should be, but in reality its far from it. If I had to have my money on it I can't see it happening while they're both domestic fighters, I really can't.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
Hooch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can see a Cleverly/Bellew situation arrising here with Groves picking up the 3 major belts, the difference being Groves wont be vacating - De Gale picking up meaningless intercuntinental scraps.

Although it would not surprise me if FW rushes De Gale into a title fight with Smith to stop this happening, either way the winners should be the fans.

Which is nice
Hooch is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #26
ed7890
Col. Hunter Gathers
ESB Addict

vCash: 1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
These are the fights that should be for the British title, the best vs the best.

Quite a lot of British title fights have been contested by fighters barely within the top 10. The board need to scrap the bullshit rule stopping world champions holding domestic belts..... so what if the titles are held up?
Amen to that.

Or imagine if the European holder was actually the best in that weight class from Europe, like back in the old days. It would bring so much excitement back to the sport.

The people with power in boxing are so short sighted, all greedily trying to protect their own cut, but all weakening the sport a little bit. It could be done so much better and would be much more profitable.

A rising tide raises all boats.
ed7890 is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #27
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Wont happen as long as De Gale is promoted by Frank ******..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #28
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

If and when it happens, Groves will smash him to bits.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #29
avidlemon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

it is a fight that will happen, but at what stage who knows? Clearly groves promotional team are willing to push him further and a lot ealier than frank is with degale. And with degale being a stable mate of smith, i can't see them being in the same ring for some time, so in reality, i can only see it happening if the british becomes vacant, via maybe smith winning the euro, and moving into a wbo fight, and the vacant title being contested, which i could envision happening sometime the end of this year.
The reason frank will be willing make the fight is that it will generate a bumper crowd at a class arena like the 02, and he needs another star rolling off the conveyor belt.
avidlemon is offline  Top
Old 04-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #30
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
These are the fights that should be for the British title, the best vs the best.

Quite a lot of British title fights have been contested by fighters barely within the top 10. The board need to scrap the bullshit rule stopping world champions holding domestic belts..... so what if the titles are held up?
do not agree its a bullshit rule. You not going to get David Haye defending agaisnt his mandatory Sam ***ton for the British and WBA world title are you??
robpalmer135 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum