Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Say Paul Smith wins the Contender What chance do you give him Vs Pavlik?

Personally I think Pavlik is massively beatable and will not hold onto that title long. This might seem like a silly post, but you know how big the contender is in the US and with genuine world class fighters competing should Paul win it he may get a shot at the title and if he did I'd give him a chance.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
stuey
Never bet on England
ESB Addict

vCash: 622
Default Re: Say Paul Smith wins the Contender What chance do you give him Vs Pavlik?

not sure why you dont like pavlik?
showed a huge heart, bigpunch, great stamina, terrific finishing.
i cant think of too many middles who beat him right now, certainly not smith...

perhaps a puncher such as abraham might give him problems...
stuey is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
lsg

Default Re: Say Paul Smith wins the Contender What chance do you give him Vs Pavlik?

Jeff, I'm not saying he'd win right now but trust me, Paul Smith at 11st 6lbs would put over pretty much anybody he hits clean on the chin. Time is on his side Jeff and I don't think jumping up that far straight away will be the way he goes about it. Still , if the phone rings and there is $1m on the other end, who would turn that down ?????

Did you notice when they were doing those tests that Paul was the hardest puncher? Don't forget Paul is a middleweight competing in a super middleweight tournament out there and he banged harder than any of them.

Trust me on the power thing, he can really whack
lsg is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
rooq
East Side Guru

if paul smith manages to get through to the semi's and then beat the likes of bika, coddrington or soliman then i think he'll justifiably be a top ten contender.

but until i see him in the ring with someone at that level its hard to say.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
if paul smith manages to get through to the semi's and then beat the likes of bika, coddrington or soliman then i think he'll justifiably be a top ten contender.

but until i see him in the ring with someone at that level its hard to say.
Soliman is past it, so if he fought him, I would fancy him to win, but if he fights Bika or Codrington, then he loses IMO.

BTW saw smith in the city centre last tuesday, pigging out on one of those portable burger bars
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Pavlik is a bigger, stronger, more powerful, more durable Paul Smith. They fight very similar. Paul Smith would not beat Pavlik.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
lsg

Jesus Nemesis !!!! Can't the guy have a burger without you snooping on him and scornfully reporting it on here. You should work for the dole lad
lsg is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsg
Jeff, I'm not saying he'd win right now but trust me, Paul Smith at 11st 6lbs would put over pretty much anybody he hits clean on the chin. Time is on his side Jeff and I don't think jumping up that far straight away will be the way he goes about it. Still , if the phone rings and there is $1m on the other end, who would turn that down ?????

Did you notice when they were doing those tests that Paul was the hardest puncher? Don't forget Paul is a middleweight competing in a super middleweight tournament out there and he banged harder than any of them.

they did this on joe frazier and julian jackson and niether had the statistical power to ko anyone...yet they did.

i personally think he can do alot of damge at middlewieght but he is only a prospect and to win the contender then some intercontinental belts then i will believ e that he can ko him.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
lsg

I agree entirely. Punching is a combo of strength , technique and timing but is something I believe you are born with. Power can be increased with coaching but only by a percentage. Paul can bang ...... HARD!
lsg is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsg
Jesus Nemesis !!!! Can't the guy have a burger without you snooping on him and scornfully reporting it on here. You should work for the dole lad
Relax. I was only making a point

I guess you must support the scum
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #11
The taff
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Pavlik is a bigger, stronger, more powerful, more durable Paul Smith. They fight very similar. Paul Smith would not beat Pavlik.
Agreed
The taff is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Soliman is past it, so if he fought him, I would fancy him to win, but if he fights Bika or Codrington, then he loses IMO.

BTW saw smith in the city centre last tuesday, pigging out on one of those portable burger bars
Would never trust some of those portable burger places.

As for Smith I can definately see him winning a British title at least.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsg

Actually according to those tests Max Alexander was the hardest puncher , a guy with 2 stoppages in 14 wins........so there goes the accuracy of those tests out the window .

Wasn't Paul dropped twice(and heavily) by Conroy McIntosh , imagine what would happen if Pavlik hit him .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Smiths chances, somewhere between Slim, and none. Soliman and Bikka would both beat him with (relative) ease. Codrington looks like he can dig too, even though he's an arse. Smiths untested, so to compare him with the man that beat THE MAN I think its a little too soon. I hope Im wrong, so very wrong as I'd like to see nothing more (not literally) than Paul prove me wrong and rip his way throughthe world scene.

Answer me this, how many of you, pre contender, would put Smith ahead of froch?
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars
Actually according to those tests Max Alexander was the hardest puncher , a guy with 2 stoppages in 14 wins........so there goes the accuracy of those tests out the window .

Wasn't Paul dropped twice(and heavily) by Conroy McIntosh , imagine what would happen if Pavlik hit him .
I swear Paul Smith won the power test.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum