Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #61
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather "Is technically flawed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug1list View Post
lol @ your reasons for picking apart manny's record above 130, quite absurd.
I was playing Devil's Advocate
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #62
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
He has THE best record of any current active fighter IMO.
most probly, trying to think but my mind gone blank
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #63
hagman1989
the boxing site , try it
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug1list View Post
lol @ your reasons for picking apart manny's record above 130, quite absurd.
thats what you can do its what people do

he said being harsh and it was but all true to some extent thats it

he does have a great record but its like evryone elses if you realy want to you can pick it apart
hagman1989 is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #64
ricardoparker93
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5403

The fact that he doesnt string combinations together only adds to how perfect his single shots, footwork and defence are technically. It's his aversion to risk taking that will be his eventual undoing, not a lack of technique.
ricardoparker93 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #65
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
i was thinking the same. imo pac has 1 of the best resume's of any current active fighter
Im not so sre its any better thananyone elses record. Pac faced Morales 3 times yet each time Morales was coming off a loss (albeit one of them was to him) and Morales was already on the slide by the ist encounter imo which is not surprising considering the wars we've seen him in the past two decades. I dont rate his win over JMM as much as others coz I had Marquez a clear winner in both fights. (the 1st fight Pac won the 1st 2 rounds and that was it and the 2nd was even clearer for JMM imo)

The second Barrera win was against a semi retired fighter who was only trying to last 12 rounds. (1st Barrera fight was a good win) The Oscar larios fight was against another fighter coming from a loss and also had came up 2 weights. Battery was also a fighter not coming from a win and he really shouldnt have been in the position to get a shot anyhow considering his recent record was abysmal.
More recently he has beated a seriously weight drained Oscar who needed an iv in his arm immidiately after the fight to re-hydrate him (as Buncey put it he looked like a thunderbird puppet with the tiny body and huge head) then there was the fight against Cotto where Miguel, who has had weight issues in the past was made to fight at 145 rather than 147 and had recently been brutalised by Marg which was most likely due to illegal hand wraps that could have killed him never mind damaged his ability. Then the most recent of all was Clottey who was also coming off a loss.

Add to all that the added suspicion about P.E.D's and you cant help but ask questions.

Floyds record isnt air tight by any means but I'd rate it better than Pacs anyday.
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #66
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Resume isn't just who you beat, it's who you face and how you perform against them. Even in his losing effort to Morales, it was a competitive fight.

To say Marquez 'clearly won' either fight is just deluded. I had him winning the rematch by a point, but it was perfectly feasible to score it for Manny - they just match up very well overall.

The suspicions about PEDsis just a fabrication. You can't use supposition and heresy to judge a fighter. Manny's fought the best and looked for the best challenges. It was Floyd who kept adding stipulations that scuppered the fight.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #67
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
Resume isn't just who you beat, it's who you face and how you perform against them. Even in his losing effort to Morales, it was a competitive fight.

To say Marquez 'clearly won' either fight is just deluded. I had him winning the rematch by a point, but it was perfectly feasible to score it for Manny - they just match up very well overall.

The suspicions about PEDsis just a fabrication. You can't use supposition and heresy to judge a fighter. Manny's fought the best and looked for the best challenges. It was Floyd who kept adding stipulations that scuppered the fight.
i had the first fight a draw and marquez won the second in a close fight. people seem to forget manny jumped 2 weight divisions after only having 1 fight at lightweight to face. oscar. not many people gave manny a chance in that fight. cotto didnt struggle to make weight either. for the clottey fight he weighed 146 and done **** all in the last few days before the weigh in. after the fight cotto said the weight wasnt a problem he just got beat by the best fighter he ever fought
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #68
avidlemon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
i had the first fight a draw and marquez won the second in a close fight. people seem to forget manny jumped 2 weight divisions after only having 1 fight at lightweight to face. oscar. not many people gave manny a chance in that fight. cotto didnt struggle to make weight either. for the clottey fight he weighed 146 and done **** all in the last few days before the weigh in. after the fight cotto said the weight wasnt a problem he just got beat by the best fighter he ever fought
Manny for el presidente!
avidlemon is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #69
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidlemon View Post
Manny for el presidente!
1 fight i think he'll lose

apparentley theres some billionaire whos very popular
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #70
avidlemon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
1 fight i think he'll lose

apparentley theres some billionaire whos very popular
it's like frank maloney running in the election. funny as ****, but a bit pointless!

Can you imagine if manny got in

"karaoke machines for EVERYONE!!!!!! "
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #71
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

SSM - Mayweather is the most pointless super fight since Mayweather - ODH.

These fighters don't belong in the same ring as him.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #72
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe View Post

you are a prick
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #73
avidlemon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe View Post

WTF?

On what basis?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #74
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator View Post
Im not so sre its any better thananyone elses record. Pac faced Morales 3 times yet each time Morales was coming off a loss (albeit one of them was to him) and Morales was already on the slide by the ist encounter imo which is not surprising considering the wars we've seen him in the past two decades. I dont rate his win over JMM as much as others coz I had Marquez a clear winner in both fights. (the 1st fight Pac won the 1st 2 rounds and that was it and the 2nd was even clearer for JMM imo)

The second Barrera win was against a semi retired fighter who was only trying to last 12 rounds. (1st Barrera fight was a good win) The Oscar larios fight was against another fighter coming from a loss and also had came up 2 weights. Battery was also a fighter not coming from a win and he really shouldnt have been in the position to get a shot anyhow considering his recent record was abysmal.
More recently he has beated a seriously weight drained Oscar who needed an iv in his arm immidiately after the fight to re-hydrate him (as Buncey put it he looked like a thunderbird puppet with the tiny body and huge head) then there was the fight against Cotto where Miguel, who has had weight issues in the past was made to fight at 145 rather than 147 and had recently been brutalised by Marg which was most likely due to illegal hand wraps that could have killed him never mind damaged his ability. Then the most recent of all was Clottey who was also coming off a loss.

Add to all that the added suspicion about P.E.D's and you cant help but ask questions.

Floyds record isnt air tight by any means but I'd rate it better than Pacs anyday.
I don't even rate Pac's wins over De La Hoya (with hindsight), the 2nd fight with Barrera or the 3rd fight with Morales. Yet I still rate his record as being better than Mayweather's.

Pacquiao's first big fight was against the long standing OPBF flyweight champion Chokchai Chockvivat who had defended his title 8 times and briefly flirted within the top 10 of the division. Pacquiao, at aged 18, dominated Chokchai and knocked him out for the 10 count in the 5th round. After this, he had a few more fights before his first crack at a 'world' title against Chatchai Sasakul.

Sasakul's only defeat before Pacquiao was to Arbachkov, arguably a P4P top 10 fighter. He then avenged this loss and handed Arbachkov his only career defeat. Not to mention Arbachov was the top man in his division for 5 years. Sasakul was also within the top 10 of the division for 5 years before he met Pacquiao as well and was regarded as the 'top dog' when he and Pacquiao met. Pacquiao, who was 19 at the time and only in his 2nd scheduled 12 rounder, came from behind to knock Sasakul out to pick up the WBC flyweight title.

Pacquiao defended his title 2 times, beating Gabriel Mira (who was on a good run and he beat Yong-Soon Chang, a fighter who had only lost once before in a 'world' title challenge and was a former OPBF champion), but lost his 2nd defence against Medgoen Singsurat. This would be his last loss until he fought Eric Morales for the first time.

He then jumped up to Super-Bantamweight from Flyweight and in his first fight fought former 'world' title challenger Reynante Jamili, doing a quicker job than what Eric Morales managed (stopping Jamili in 2 rounds, whilst Morales took 6 rounds to do the job). In his next 4 fights, 3 of his opponents were either former or future 'world' title challengers and Nedal Hussein was very briefly seen as a top 10 Super-Bantamweight after being stopped by Pacquiao.

Pacquiao then got into a position to challenge for the IBF Super-Bantamweight title. His opponent was Lehlohonolo Ledwaba, a fighter who was one of the top guys at super-bantam for 2-3 years, had defended his IBF title 5 times and his only loss previously had been in his 12th fight. Pacquiao, coming into the fight as a late replacement, dropped Ledwaba 3 times and dominated him until the fight was waved off in the 6th round to become a 2-weight 'world' champion.

A technical draw with fellow 'world' champion Agapito Sanchez seemed to slow the momentum he had built since moving up in weight, but a win on the Lewis vs Tyson undercard against Jorge Julio (former WBA champion, admittedly 9 years before his bout with Pacquiao) got him back on track, as he became the only person to stop Julio halting him in the 2nd.

He had a couple of fights in his homeland before returning to the States to stop the unbeaten, overmatched Emmanuel Lucero in the 3rd round. This would be his last fight at Super-Bantamweight as he stepped up to challenge Marco Antonio Barrera.

Barrera, a top 10 P4P'er after beating Naseem Hamed, Eric Morales and Johnny Tapia recently, was made the overwhelming favourite against Pacquiao. Yet Barrera was battered by Pacquiao as he was floored in the 3rd and rescued in the 11th by his corner. In what is arguably his greatest performance, Pacquiao, the former Super-Bantamweight sensation became the number 1 featherweight in the world.

Pacquiao then fought the number 1 challenger in the division as he took on the Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez. Although Pacquiao floored Marquez 3 times in the 1st, Marquez came back to earn a draw, whilst many thought the decision should have went to Marquez. After a warm-up fight against Fahsan 3K Battery, he again stepped up in weight to challenge the legendary Eric Morales.

Morales had only lost two times before this fight (both to Barrera), but put on a great performance to win a close, but clear decision over Pacquiao. Pacquiao came back and beat the gatekeeper Hector Velazquez to set up another fight with Morales. Although Morales was upset by Zahir Raheem when he stepped up to Lightweight, he came back down in weight to fight Pacquiao. Although obviously not the force he once was, Pacquiao became the first man to stop Morales as he dropped him twice in the 10th, and ultimately, the final round.

A fight with Oscar Larios followed. Larios was a former two-time 'world' champion and had beaten the likes of Israel Vazquez, Wayne McCCullough (twice) and Willie Jorin. Although he had lost his last fight against Vazquez (their 3rd fight), he certainly looked in form as he took on Pacquiao, although he lost a lopsided decision. Pacquiao won for a 2nd time against Morales, in what was pretty much a meaningless fight.

Jorge Solis was his next opponent, and although he didn't come in with the best of records (although a win over Cristobal Cruz looks good now), he has proved his worth recently. A second fight with Barrera ended as expected as the Mexican warrior dropped a decision but left with his pride.

He then had his eagerly anticipated rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez. Although Pacquiao won his 3rd 'world' title, the fight could have went either way, yet the knockdown of Marquez in the 3rd round proved vital in Pacquiao winning the split decision.

Another step up in weight and another 'world' title as he took apart David Diaz and stopped him in the 9th. Again he stepped up in weight as he challenged the legend Oscar De La Hoya. Although he was seen as a massive underdog, Pacquiao, like in the 1st Barrera fight, battered his opponent until they could take no more. The win was pretty much discredited instantly after Oscar's weight problems became evident.

Going down to Light-Welterweight he took on the number 1 in the division Ricky Hatton. Although most predicted a tough fight for Pacquiao, he took apart Ricky flooring him twice in the first round and knocking him out with a chilling left hook in the 2nd round.

He then moved up to Welterweight to challenge Miguel Cotto. Although he was forced to weigh-in at 145, it didn't seem to affect Cotto as he looked impressive in the early stages. Yet Pacquiao took over, dropped Cotto twice (heavily the 2nd time) and caused the referee to stop the fight in the final round.

In his last fight he took on Clottey, who has been a top Welterweight for the last 5 years. And although Pacquiao didn't stop him, he impressively won every round (in most people's eyes) and Clottey had never been dominated like that before.

Sorry for going on (I didn't expect this post to be so long!!), but I thought I would point out some of his other wins at the lower weights on his record and I feel his record is that of a top 50 ATG fighter in my opinion. The same can't be said for Mayweather though I believe.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #75
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Great post, Kos.
threethirteen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum