Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835
Default How Good Was Fabrice Tiozzo

I'm an American I never saw him fight before so I figured I'd put this on the European Forum where there may be more knowledge. I read a little about him and saw that he was 48-2 and his losses were to the same guy Virgil Hill and were years apart.

He did beat several belt holders and held belts at LHWT and Cruiser

He beat guys like Dariuz M, Branco, Miller, McCallum, and Lucas

How do you rate him?
KO KIDD is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
FROST
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How Good Was Fabrice Tiozzo

I saw his fights with Mike McCallum and D. Michalczewski, maybe some other ones that I don't remember too well (like the Hill fights).

He had a very good performance against McCallum. Ok, Tiozzo fought on his home turf, but McCallum is a road warrior, and Tiozzo kept coming against the master boxer McCallum and outworked him. Tiozzo also showed some skills there. People say that McCallum was shot by then, but I can tell that he was still a tough, highly experienced and skilled fighter, even tho he was past his best. He also gave Roy Jones and Toney good fights after that. I remember that fight because of the cut glove incident, something that doesn't happen too often. I'm a big fan of Mike McCallum and he's one of the most underrated fighters from the last 30 years. James Toney said he's the best opponent he's ever faced, putting him even before Roy Jones, and Toney should know. (In my book, Roy Jones was better than McCallum, because he was so freakishly talented, but McCallum was more 'text-book' skilled and durable).

Tiozzo totally destroyed D. Michalczewski in Germany. I remember Tiozzo coming to the ring with only his belt across the waist, all alone, no robe, simple black shorts and a focused look - he did his best Tyson imitation there. To be fair, Michalczewski was shot to pieces and a KO waiting to happen..

Last edited by FROST; 04-19-2010 at 03:05 PM.
FROST is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hill absolutely blew him up with one punch. Tiozzo was a strong guy but very limited. The McCallum win was his best, but understand that McCallum was nearly 40 years old and way past it at that point.

Tiozzo's Cruiserweight reign wasn't that impressive. Nate Miller really wasn't very good, his defenses were against C-level competition and then lost the title to an ancient Virgil Hill. He came along at a very weak time in the Cruiser division, just before Jirov, Gomez, Nelson, etc.

I do give him credit for melting back down at 175 at an advanced age and winning a world title. I haven't seen any of those fights so can't comment. The one win that is also sorta interesting is his win over a young Eric Lucas. Never saw that one either.

To answer the question, from what I saw Tiozzo was a very good European-level fighter, maybe a B-level world class fighter who was for the most part managed properly and matched with opposition he could handle.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Tiozzo vs Hill 2 is a good symbol of Tiozzo's career. Hill had won the rematch before the fight. Rumors about Hill's injuries had convinced Tiozzo that the fight would be postponed again. He had been lazy and stupid enough to stop his preparation.
Result : at the weigh-in it was easy to say what would happen , Tiozzo looked completely out of shape. An old Hill KOed a prime Tiozzo in 1 round with a jab, something a prime Hill had been unable to do in 12 rounds against a green Tiozzo.
About a come back : Tiozzo said he wants to fight Huck to prepare for Mormeck...
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
NSFW
ESB interacial lovin...
ESB Addict

vCash: 2266

Great fighter.
NSFW is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Tiozzo is a dreamer, he has never been able to manage his career. Huck would annihilate him imo. But would german fans pay to see that ?
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitir View Post
Tiozzo is a dreamer, he has never been able to manage his career. Huck would annihilate him imo. But would german fans pay to see that ?
What, you mean now?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROST View Post
I saw his fights with Mike McCallum and D. Michalczewski, maybe some other ones that I don't remember too well (like the Hill fights).

He had a very good performance against McCallum. Ok, Tiozzo fought on his home turf, but McCallum is a road warrior, and Tiozzo kept coming against the master boxer McCallum and outworked him. Tiozzo also showed some skills there. People say that McCallum was shot by then, but I can tell that he was still a tough, highly experienced and skilled fighter, even tho he was past his best. He also gave Roy Jones and Toney good fights after that. I remember that fight because of the cut glove incident, something that doesn't happen too often. I'm a big fan of Mike McCallum and he's one of the most underrated fighters from the last 30 years. James Toney said he's the best opponent he's ever faced, putting him even before Roy Jones, and Toney should know. (In my book, Roy Jones was better than McCallum, because he was so freakishly talented, but McCallum was more 'text-book' skilled and durable).

Tiozzo totally destroyed D. Michalczewski in Germany. I remember Tiozzo coming to the ring with only his belt across the waist, all alone, no robe, simple black shorts and a focused look - he did his best Tyson imitation there. To be fair, Michalczewski was shot to pieces and a KO waiting to happen..

Thatīs an understatement.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
What, you mean now?
Tiozzo said "seriously" he wanted Huck (he comments Huck's fights on french channel W9 and he says he thinks Huck is good but not so impressive !) Even if they organized Maske vs Hill 2 I don't think german promoter/fans would pay for this joke you're right.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitir View Post
Tiozzo said "seriously" he wanted Huck (he comments Huck's fights on french channel W9 and he says he thinks Huck is good but not so impressive !) Even if they organized Maske vs Hill 2 I don't think german promoter/fans would pay for this joke you're right.
Thereīs no ppv in Germany, the fights are for free on TV.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I know that but guys in the arena pay their tickets !
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Cpt_Vodka
Teddy Atlas
ESB Full Member

vCash: 446

Hill would ALWAYS have his number. Tiozzo should of fought Mormeck.
Cpt_Vodka is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I agree with that. Tiozzo had difficulties against technicians, counterpunchers protected by a superior jab like Hill. That said I think a normal version of Tiozzo would have been decisionned again, not KOed by a jab.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
boxexpert
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

he sent michalczewski into retirement and was WBA champ,that says enough.
boxexpert is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus View Post
Hill absolutely blew him up with one punch. Tiozzo was a strong guy but very limited. The McCallum win was his best, but understand that McCallum was nearly 40 years old and way past it at that point.

Tiozzo's Cruiserweight reign wasn't that impressive. Nate Miller really wasn't very good, his defenses were against C-level competition and then lost the title to an ancient Virgil Hill. He came along at a very weak time in the Cruiser division, just before Jirov, Gomez, Nelson, etc.

I do give him credit for melting back down at 175 at an advanced age and winning a world title. I haven't seen any of those fights so can't comment. The one win that is also sorta interesting is his win over a young Eric Lucas. Never saw that one either.

To answer the question, from what I saw Tiozzo was a very good European-level fighter, maybe a B-level world class fighter who was for the most part managed properly and matched with opposition he could handle.
You are calling a two-weight WORLD champ a EUROPEAN-level fighter?

What are you smoking.

Tiozzo wasn't the most astonishing fighter 175 has ever seen, but he was a solid world champion with good boxing skills, decent chin and a fair bit of pop in his fists.

He was probably the best European LHW behind Michalczewski during the 1990s, even ahead of Henry Maske. He KOed Michalczewski, but that was a shot, coming out of retirement version who had somehow forgotten how to jab.

Prime for prime these two would have had a real war with Michalczewski coming out on top via UD or late stoppage, in my opinion.

Overall Tiozzo was a very good fighter with borderline Hall of Fame talent and resume, but a bit of a dedication problem.
Axe is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum