Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #16
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could a Prime Ezzard Charles beat Marciano?

I'd pick Rocky, but a prime Chalres would have a chance for an upset.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #17
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
The funny thing is Charles did beat Marciano in their first bout and he was past his prime.Charles fought alot different after he killed a guy in the ring.He didn't try to go in for the big knockout as often so answer would be yes a prime Charles would beat Marciano easier than he did in their first fight unless he got robbed because of his skin color again.
Still worrying about whether or not a guy has this or that colour skin I see. That kind of thinking died a long time ago (in Marciano's time - and even before), with the exception of a couple of idiots who constantly bring the matter up.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #18
albinored
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

..even a Charles fanatic like myself conceded, as I watched it live on theatre pay-per-view that Marciano won that first fight. The difference between the two halves of the fight was a punch....legal...that caught Charles in the adam's apple and he could hardly breathe after that. He could not talk above a whisper for days.The ring magazine reporter said a Marciano blow landed after the bell (his favorite one-two was a punch while you were down followed by one after the bell)probably played a big factor....but..Marciano won and Ezzard never made any excuses and I don't either.

re: "Marciano ended Charles' prime". No way. Ezzard was past his prime when he beat Joe Louis. Even a post-prime Charles was still an outstanding fighter. If he had been in his prime for Marciano, Al Weill would not have made the match.

to say that race played a part in the decision is nonsense.

Last edited by albinored; 10-12-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typos and misspellings and a comment on race
albinored is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #19
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
Still worrying about whether or not a guy has this or that colour skin I see. That kind of thinking died a long time ago (in Marciano's time - and even before), with the exception of a couple of idiots who constantly bring the matter up.
There was no racism in the 50's?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 AM   #20
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

You'd certainly be a fool to write him off given how competitive both their actual fights were. It'd be very close to call that's for sure.

Either Marciano by TKO, or a points victory for Charles seem the most likely outcomes.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #21
Mega Lamps
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The funny thing is Charles did beat Marciano in their first bout and he was past his prime.Charles fought alot different after he killed a guy in the ring.He didn't try to go in for the big knockout as often so answer would be yes a prime Charles would beat Marciano easier than he did in their first fight unless he got robbed because of his skin color again.
The fight really was not close and the end of the fight has Charles going into survival mode.
Mega Lamps is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #22
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:

You seriously need to get smashed.
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #23
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinored
..even a Charles fanatic like myself conceded, as I watched it live on theatre pay-per-view that Marciano won that first fight. The difference between the two halves of the fight was a punch....legal...that caught Charles in the adam's apple and he could hardly breathe after that. He could not talk above a whisper for days.The ring magazine reporter said a Marciano blow landed after the bell (his favorite one-two was a punch while you were down followed by one after the bell)probably played a big factor....but..Marciano won and Ezzard never made any excuses and I don't either.

re: "Marciano ended Charles' prime". No way. Ezzard was past his prime when he beat Joe Louis. Even a post-prime Charles was still an outstanding fighter. If he had been in his prime for Marciano, Al Weill would not have made the match.

Interesting contribution, you sound like you were around at the time, when did you see Charles prime as been? Is it rude to ask how old you are? Thanks
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

The 2nd fight was not all that close with charles winning 1 mere round on all 3 of the judges score cards going into round 8. I have the fight, and relly I think I gave Charles about the first round, and that was about it. Marciano relly took over with the knockdown of Charles in round 2, and relly pound Charles in rounds 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Yes Charles got lucky with the cut in round 6. but I gave Marciano the round with Marciano's higher ounch out put, to Charles VERY low punch out put. He got that elbow in that did the damage to the nose. But relly the myth was the 2nd fight was close, but it was relly a one sided beat down for Charles.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by albinored

Your acting like Marcaino was protected as Champion. I find that hard to belive as Marciano time and time again went after the number 1 contender. I belive the match would have STILL been made had Charles been 25 or so and still the number 1 contender.

Moore, LarSarza, and Ezzard Charles, were all rank number 1 when Rocky gave em title shots. Marciano was not side stepping to fight a weaker oppention. Sure he gave ****ell a shot, but that was more of a test run for the nose. Outside of that evey one was rank 1.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Charles would never win.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I give Charles a good chance to win a decision he was a lot quicker in his prime and harder to hit but think he would loose a trilogy 2-1 to Marciano.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #28
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer
There was no racism in the 50's?
I didn't notice much when it came to the boxing ring. Blacks fought against whites..

I any event, only small minded people keep bringing up ethnicity on nearly a constant basis.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 01:57 AM   #29
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
If you don't scew the statistics he lost 5 of his last 21 against the best 5 of those he faced. My point is prime Charles wouldnt have lost these and had deteriated and probably would win more rounds in his prime against Marciano.
If you want to be picky and play number games like that, be sure you get it right- he hadn't lost to five opponents; two of those losses were to the same opponent(Walcott), and it's plenty debatable whether those four(aside from Walcott) were the best opponents- the main reason you'd rank Valdes ahead of other opponents in that group is because he beat Charles, which is circular reasoning, and I think it's debatable whether Johnson or Layne were better heavyweights than Maxim or Bivins. Of the non-Walcott losses, two were very close/disputed decisions(Layne and Johnson) and Charles had since avenged the Layne loss in dominant fashion. He had just won back-to-back resounding knockouts over top 10 opponents and was the #1 contender for Marciano's title. Like I said before, while his career was a little bit on the downhill slope, he was by no means a used-up fighter at that point.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #30
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
You seriously need to get smashed.
Better to ignore him I think Luigi.
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum