Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default How to deal with a Mayweather defensive styled boxer?

By Mayweather-defense i mean bending the waist, keeping the right glove at the side of the head and tucking the head in while using the left shoulder well. And keeping the left hand sort of in front of the body so it can quickly counter.

What is the best approach to dissect that type of defense? Not throwing single shots but double jabs and combinations to offset their body movement? Hooks seem to be easily blocked by this guard whereas straight punches have a bit more succes.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Spartan_Boxer

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How to deal with a Mayweather defensive styled boxer?

It seems Mayweather would be open to a left head rip (cross beween hook & uppercut) after a right cross. Cause he likes to dip down to his right side. In saying that a lot of great fighters he's fought would have spent hours trying to dissect his weakness and have still come up short so I can't really speak.(just my opinion)
Spartan_Boxer is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

i noticed the guys in my gym that do it start losing their cool when they are pressured and smothered.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Honestly? The best solution is probably just to pummel him repeatedly, with as many hard shots as you can.

If you hit that left shoulder enough it'll start hurting a bitch and he will probably start getting sloppy

Defensive boxers like that count on you throwing single shots, which makes it easier for them to counter safely...if you keep pounding them it gets harder for them to get their shots off in return, and when you're in a philly shell-esque defence like that, once your defence breaks down you are ****ED and easy to pounce on. The key is to keep them from controlling the rhythm of the exchanges, if you keep up the pressure they will feel obligated to start firing back and that is when you have them.

The problem is when they have excellent footwork, like Floyd, which means they can stay away from you when you try that.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
g0tpHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
Honestly? The best solution is probably just to pummel him repeatedly, with as many hard shots as you can.

If you hit that left shoulder enough it'll start hurting a bitch and he will probably start getting sloppy

Defensive boxers like that count on you throwing single shots, which makes it easier for them to counter safely...if you keep pounding them it gets harder for them to get their shots off in return, and when you're in a philly shell-esque defence like that, once your defence breaks down you are ****ED and easy to pounce on. The key is to keep them from controlling the rhythm of the exchanges, if you keep up the pressure they will feel obligated to start firing back and that is when you have them.

The problem is when they have excellent footwork, like Floyd, which means they can stay away from you when you try that.

If I remember correctly, that was Arturo Gatti's gameplan as well .

Perhaps it would work better with a a stronger, faster fighter lke Hatton. I think Cotto has the best chance though.
g0tpHo is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0tpHo
If I remember correctly, that was Arturo Gatti's gameplan as well .

Perhaps it would work better with a a stronger, faster fighter lke Hatton. I think Cotto has the best chance though.
Quite the contary, Gatti tried to box Mayweather

I never said it would beat Mayweather, either...I stated at the end of my post that the defensive boxer having excellent footwork+stamina really compounds the problems he can pose to you. Mayweather is the best in the world at what he does, so it will take someone who is the best in the world at what THEY do to dethrone him Your average Joe, hell even your average/above-average champion, isn't gonna have what it takes to be able to pull off the pressure angle, Mayweather is too slick.

The other way I can see someone beating a Mayweather-style boxer is ala Hearns, having a dynamite straight right/left (southpaw) that can laser in through the defence. This requires REAL accuracy though...so it would take no less than the second coming of the Hitman himself to pull this off against a defensive mastermind like Mayweather.

PS - Look at the Toney/Peter fights to see what I'm talking about Toney is slick as hell defensively, but a crude banger in Peter was able to get through his defence through sheer relentlessness, and he got the decision. Imagine what someone with a real impressive workrate + accuracy and a little more refined attack could do?
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #7
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I think taking control of the centre of the ring is important. As allowing a superior boxer to box in the middle where he has room to move is a mistake. Hold the centre ground and force him to the ropes when you can but don't simply plod after him.

Fighters who use the shoulder roll are open to the right to the body. Throw a jab then right downstairs when they roll to their right, exposing the left side of their body. Danger here is getting penalised of kindey punches but it worked for Rahman against Toney.

Mayweather likes to keep his left by his waist to protect his mid section even when in close. Use that against him by using a forearm or actually leaning your body weight to pin that arm down in close to land a short right hand. I'd also be throwing punches at his left shoulder to keep the left hand down and over the course of a long fight that could effect his left jabs and hooks.

Many people talk about using the left hook against fighters like Mayweather and Toney but I have yet to see anyone land it effectively with any regularity. When Mayweather dips to his right he has his right hand in place to block any left hook and because he is leaning to the right his body is tucked up nicely to block any left to the body.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Brighton bomber makes a good point especially in the case of a Mayweather defense (left arm held close to the body). Opponents who maintain a static defense are good for having their limbs abused. Keep hitting the side of the bicep and you'll soon notice that arm getting looser.
Pugsley is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
I've heard that bullshit many times and never seen it work against anyone. You can hit my shoulder for hours without any result. Especially in sparring with 14 ounce gloves like we're talking about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan_Boxer
It seems Mayweather would be open to a left head rip (cross beween hook & uppercut) after a right cross. Cause he likes to dip down to his right side. In saying that a lot of great fighters he's fought would have spent hours trying to dissect his weakness and have still come up short so I can't really speak.(just my opinion)
I thought about something similar. Make him slip to his right by feinting a jab, then hook off it. It sounds easy but you'll have to keep in mind he's a terrific counter puncher. Part of the reason is the stance allows you to stay close. Everyone wants to smother him with punches, just like they wanted to smother Jones Jr. A few counter punches take that desire away quickly.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber
Fighters who use the shoulder roll are open to the right to the body. Throw a jab then right downstairs when they roll to their right, exposing the left side of their body. Danger here is getting penalised of kindey punches but it worked for Rahman against Toney.
Very true. The only risk is his left elbow. I sometimes fight from half guard, at first I was caught with the exact punch you're describing, which hurt my kidney like hell. It's not really the opponents fault since I turned into it myself, a referee will notice that as well. I learned to defend against it by sticking out my elbow a little. Hitting an elbow hurts like hell, it may even break or injure your hand.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley
Brighton bomber makes a good point especially in the case of a Mayweather defense (left arm held close to the body). Opponents who maintain a static defense are good for having their limbs abused. Keep hitting the side of the bicep and you'll soon notice that arm getting looser.
While you're wearing down his bicep, he'll be wearing down your head. Let's see which one gives in first
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
Very true. The only risk is his left elbow. I sometimes fight from half guard, at first I was caught with the exact punch you're describing, which hurt my kidney like hell. It's not really the opponents fault since I turned into it myself, a referee will notice that as well. I learned to defend against it by sticking out my elbow a little. Hitting an elbow hurts like hell, it may even break or injure your hand.
Very good point though I guess you're exposing the right side a little by moving the elbow a little.Though with that guard it would take a very, very accurate body puncher to land the left hook down stairs.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
I've heard that bullshit many times and never seen it work against anyone. You can hit my shoulder for hours without any result. Especially in sparring with 14 ounce gloves like we're talking about now.
Roy Jones Jr used it against Eric Lucas very effectively. It's simply not a regularly used tactic as it isn't something you can use against many fighters and it takes a very smart persistant fighter to employ such a strategy.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Yeah but Roy Jones could beat Eric Lucas using only slaps or one hand. That doesn't mean it works well, especially in amature fights which don't go past 3 or 4 rounds, a wearing down tactic like that would not be advisable.

Thanks for all the advice though.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

It doesn't matter who you fight the science stays the same. You need to continously be ad******g your range/distance while timing your opponents offence/defence.

With a Floyd Mayweather you just have to pick the punches that work in each given situation. Why? Because Floyd Mayweather can do more or less every defensive move known to boxing.

There is no cure for Floyd Mayweather. To beat him, you simply need to be a very good fighter. Talented with tools and intangiables. Otherwise you don't win, you get dominated, it really is that simple.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing