Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #16
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019
Default Re: Great battle - Credit to both

Smashing fight.

I do think Kessler has lost quite a lot though.

This will be his last hurrah and if he retired I wouldn't blame him.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan91 View Post
^ Big Peter? Legend! "Well, you already got one decision in your home so it's even"

I'd say it's Ward or Dirrell's to lose. Winner of their fight wins the tournie for me
Ward then.

Just look at Dirrell's record it is full of holes. Ward is flawless so far.

He beat Abraham, but I think his reputation was based on everyone, including myself, giving Jermain Taylor too much credit.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
He was too often backed up and playing the counterpuncher, thats not his game.

I thought backing up, away from home, wasn't the best of moves, as it's handing 60-50 rounds to Kessler. The judges automatically favour the aggressor and that most the time equates to the man going forward, it's handing home judges a gift to give rounds to the home guy if they want to.

Of course, he may not have actually had the choice not to back up as Kessler didn't let him.

I think there were times when Kessler was rattled, but for some reason Froch didn't or couldn't apply the gas. Not saying he would have automatically stopped him, but a chance was there, to go for it and Froch simply didn't.

Anyway, great credit to them both, think it was close...ish, but you can't really moan about it going to Kessler
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
Rangersfan1982
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
It's not unreasonable, if a little outlandish. I thought the interviewer on primetime was fantastic too! Really put Carl in his place.
IMO it was. For me Kessler by two rounds and no more.
Rangersfan1982 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Both came out with credit.

This is Kessler's best win quite easily, Froch has proved himself a good foe. Kessler showed a lot of heart and strength, they were his best attributes tonight, it wasn't the most silky of displays he just dug it out.

Froch tried hard but never quite put enough pressure on for some reason. He just couldn't dictate to Kessler nearly enough, he had moments but could never sustain even through 1 round. He was too often backed up and playing the counterpuncher, thats not his game. He was better coming forward but maybe Kessler was just too strong and he couldn't do it with any consistency. I expected a bit more from Froch early and in the middle but he let Kessler have a comfortable time of it up until the latter stages. Maybe he felt he could dig it out again but it was a bad gameplan if he was relying on that.
He always fights the same way really. Against Taylor, he employed the same tactics. It's obvious to me that he respects solid punchers and doesn't want to overplay his hand too soon. And I don't think he's as confident about trading early when opponents are fresh. He also backs his fitness in taking people into the later rounds. He got lucky against Taylor and he hasn't heeded the warning.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #21
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

Fair play to both fighters. Very entertaining fight, really went for it. Froch has nothing to be ashamed of, he gave it a good lash against a quality boxer. This tournament rocks. Hope we see more super six's.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Great fight, I had it 8-4. Kessler did great considering how everyone wrote him off after the Ward fight. This is what's so great about this tournament, you can lose a fight like Dirrell and Kessler and then come back and win your next one to put yourself right back in the mix. The whole thing's wide open now.

Froch didn't put enough pressure on, he wasn't allowed to really as he couldn't get beyond the jab too much. McCraken, like always, was giving good advice in the corner but it just wasn't meant to be. How the **** did Barker have it to Froch by 1 btw?! No doubt Fat Mick will have had a word with him beforehand.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #23
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

^^ All of them were ridiculously biased. Completely insulted the viewers intelligence tonight. I wasn't altogether surprised they thought it was close and that they rooted for the Brit, thats expected, it was the way they just completely saw what they wanted to as the action unfolded that was infuriating. If something happened they claimed the opposite happened.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
jdawg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yea spot on, great fight enjoyable to watch despite the result. Kessler was the worthy winner for sure by the odd round. Id like to think Carl was wrong saying he'd of got the call if the fight was over here... sad to say he was possibly right.

Lovely to be shouting WARRIORS... WOW.... and THROWBACK FIGHT again lots of props to both fighters thanks for a very memorable fight
jdawg is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
This is what's so great about this tournament, you can lose a fight like Dirrell and Kessler and then come back and win your next one to put yourself right back in the mix. The whole thing's wide open now.
It is great, the scores are wide open at the moment and no fillers in the mix
Guy is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Am enjoying this tournament, no doubt.

Credit to Froch if he gets in on with AA, as pencilled in, in a few months, I can't see it happening though.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #27
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli View Post
Am enjoying this tournament, no doubt.

Credit to Froch if he gets in on with AA, as pencilled in, in a few months, I can't see it happening though.

whatcha mean Jon?
Guy is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #28
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan1982 View Post
IMO it was. For me Kessler by two rounds and no more.

Yeah, can't see a case for Kessler winning by more than 2 and your could argue it closer. Mate was of same opinion. Awful scoring by that judge.

Froch for me, landed the better punches and all credit to Kessler for withstanding them. Kessler applied more pressure and his aggression won him the fight. Based on who took more punishment, Froch won it for me, a position supported by Kesslers battered face. Based on the scoring system the fight was Kesslers. So far as the overall result goes, no argument from me. Froch aquitted himself admirably against a tough warrior in a wonderfully entertaining fight and probably earnt himself some new supporters tonight. Well done to both men.
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #29
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It is great, the scores are wide open at the moment and no fillers in the mix

Froch-Abraham next

Both coming off their first loss, should be great!
ishy is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Yeah, can't see a case for Kessler winning by more than 2 and your could argue it closer. Mate was of same opinion. Awful scoring by that judge.
I'd be happy to see any card with Kessler winning by 2-4 rounds. Acceptable margin in the cold light of day.

Can you change your moniker to "Queen Cobra" or "Princess Cobra" now please.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum