Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Should Taylor keep Steward as his trainer?
Taylor should get rid of Manny as his trainer 42 59.15%
Taylor should keep Manny as his trainer 29 40.85%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shoud Taylor keep Steward as his trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Whole
the real questions is...

should manny keep taylor as his fighter.
If he doesn't, he loses all credibility. Staying with someone until they lose, then jumping ship, is the act of a coward.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
zivic1941
Journeyman

I wouldn't be surprised if Steward is already gone. Lou DiBella was extremely critical of Steward after the fight.

Personally, I think Taylor should take an interim fight to rebuild his confidence, wait for his contract with DiBella to expire (next year), get rid of Haymon if he can, and then sit down with his wife and Ozell Nelson (I don't think Nelson will ever be let go)....discuss several options.....with Taylor giving the final rubber stamp of approval.....he shouldn't be told what to do. Too many hands and minds in Taylor's career.
zivic1941 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #18
conditioner101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It is the act of a coward, and its something the fighters do all the time. Its never "there" fault when they lose... its always the trainers fault. I went through the same thing when I had Kermit Cintron. When he lost to Margarito he pointed the finger at us, and ignored the fact that he neglected to train in the manner that he did in all his previous fights. Showing up 30-40 minutes late to train. Taking shortcuts in training. Quitting workouts. Getting his ass handed to him by sparring partners. All because he was more concerned about the new girl in his life then he was his biggest fight, and the new multi million dollar contract we had just negotiated for him with Main Events. Trainers train, and its up to the fighter to make the most out of his workouts and apply in the ring what he was taught in the gym!
conditioner101 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #19
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7230

Taylor is a lost cause in terms of considerably improving from what he currently is which is a fighter with a lot of flaws. He just doesn't have the common sense to apply what he's taught. When he gets in the ring, he just goes into "dumb" mode or something.

Manny should leave Taylor. But at the same time, i don't think Manny had the same desire to train as he did in the past. We all get old i guess and lose some of that hunger.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #20
zivic1941
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22
Taylor is a lost cause in terms of considerably improving from what he currently is which is a fighter with a lot of flaws. He just doesn't have the common sense to apply what he's taught. When he gets in the ring, he just goes into "dumb" mode or something.

Manny should leave Taylor. But at the same time, i don't think Manny had the same desire to train as he did in the past. We all get old i guess and lose some of that hunger.
It is possible that he is a lost cause as far a technical improvement. He is a very tough and game fighter, but there's really no appreciable improvement in his fundamentals. We'll see.
zivic1941 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #21
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Either way, I think Stewart and Taylor wont be back together.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #22
dragosuhail
Contender
ESB Senior Member

personally i feel the poll should have been: should MANNY get rid of taylor. seriously we all know manny is a HOF trainer. that is undisputable. taylor simply isn't the type of fighter who actually absorbs anything he is told once in the ring.

it's as if his instinct takes over and dictates to his atheletically gifted body what to do. like a puppet. he does NOTHING manny tells him too for 99% of the time. nothing!

i feel sorry for manny steward because i am certain that in private manny knew pavlik was a very formidable foe. i cannot believe manny underestimated pavlik THAT much.

so all that bravado talk about how taylor was a danger to all the greats of the middleweight division etc was purely to boost his figthers confidence. taylor isn't a natural fighter like pavlik. he has to mentally pump himself up which can only take you so far.

i noticed manny talking very assertively in the pressers and im sure that was all to make taylor feel like a beast in order to match fire with fire in the pavlik fight. even in the ring walk manny was still pumping taylor up.

i think manny should cut his losses and focus on other fighters who he gels with. the biggest thing he managed to get taylor to actually do was train in his country gym to the best shape of his career. that is it. when it came to gameplans, adapting etc. taylor like usual did his own thing. but to be fair pavlik also was just a powerhouse so he bent taylor to his will, so maybe taylor was trying to follow stewards guidance?
dragosuhail is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #23
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosuhail
i feel sorry for manny steward because i am certain that in private manny knew pavlik was a very formidable foe. i cannot believe manny underestimated pavlik THAT much.
I don't feel sorry for Steward at all. All the trash he talked, then he looked like a complete idiot in the end. In private, if he knew Pavlik was a formidable foe, he wouldn't have opened his mouth like an idiot the way he did. Period.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #24
Stezzie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnoff
I don't feel sorry for Steward at all. All the trash he talked, then he looked like a complete idiot in the end. In private, if he knew Pavlik was a formidable foe, he wouldn't have opened his mouth like an idiot the way he did. Period.
Manny claims the fight was going fine...they wouldn't have changed anything...I think Manny is the blame...He didnt even give Taylor good technical advice during this fight...Every fighter need a trainer who's thinking works with there style and Taylor is not a jab & grab fighter. He needs a fighter like Floyd Mayweather, believe it or not that can work out a defence for Taylor that Taylor can benifit from. They Taylor can tweak it and use his physical attributes to the fullest...
Stezzie is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #25
Caliboxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think it's good for Taylor to dump Steward right now. That puts all the blame for the loss on Steward and that's not gonna help Taylor win a rematch. Steward and Taylor need to sit down and figure out what they did wrong.
Caliboxing is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #26
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by .trunzx
If anything Manny should leave Taylor, he obviously doesn't listen to what he has to say. He was a little better when he fought Pavlik but when he fought Spinks, he didn't listen to a word Manny said.

very true nice to see you agian did you get banned recently
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #27
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

I really have to question some of the things Manny told Taylor in the corner.

"Your athelecism is wearing him down. He's not used to fighting at this pace."
WTF! Have you ever seen a Pavlik fight that wasn't fast action and FASTER ACTION?

"He's ready to go. You can see it coming."
You don't say that to a fighter who has been eating right hands all freaking night!

The two just do not seem to click. I think Manny's statements were intended to build confidence, but Taylor did not need confidence! He needed to be told to keep his left up where it ought to have been, and to box and move! I do not think they understand each other well at all. I mean come on, this is the guy who created Tommy Freaking Hearns, and a fighter who won a world title with only like 22 fights behind him. They don't click and ought to part company.

Boo
booradley is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #28
jopez707
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 497

i think he should keep Manny, he was winning the fight until he was stopped. He almost had Pavlik out of there in the 2nd, it wasn't Manny's fault that Taylor couldn't finish him.
jopez707 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #29
41fever
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I dunno, JT is very hard headed, he needs to learn to listen no matter how famous he is...Hopefully th ePavlik loss will make him more humble. I'm curious to see who's next in line for his resume
41fever is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #30
MJRJJ23
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .trunzx
If anything Manny should leave Taylor, he obviously doesn't listen to what he has to say. He was a little better when he fought Pavlik but when he fought Spinks, he didn't listen to a word Manny said.

EXACTLY what I was thinking
MJRJJ23 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum