Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Thumbs up Carl Froch & Clinton Woods

I accept that obviously Froch hasn't retired yet, but so far is there much between these men?

Is Froch destined to become just like Woods? Both were successful domestically and both have held 'proper' world championships whilst gaining some good wins on their records along the way. Although one of the best we have produced in years, Clinton Woods never got recognised in the mainstream media to the same extent as some of the other fighters we have produced in this country and he became a well kept secret of the hardcore fan. Both Froch and Woods have taken on some of the best in their division and have also lost to the top tier of the division that they were campaigning in, but ultimately proved that they were world class themselves in the process. Being in the Super 6 obviously makes Froch more of a 'name' in America than Woods ever was, but I'm solely on about status in the UK and accomplishments.

For the record, I hope Froch does beat AA and progresses in the tourney as he deserves the attention of the casual fan - the level of opposition he has taken on in his 27 fights is admirable - but is this currently an apt summary of similar careers? If Froch does lose next, then is he destined to become the new Clinton Woods; a man appreciated by few, but deserving of much more attention and appreciation? Is Froch just on that 'Woods' level in terms of accomplishments and fanbase now?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

H2H, Thus far not dissimilar?

Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289
Default Re: Carl Froch & Clinton Woods

good point.
maybe froch could be compared to witter as well
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Yobbie
Full-Time Fighter

vCash: 269

Both are deserving of a great amount of respect. They'd fight anyone, home or away and they both have great chins too and the-never-say-die attitude, usually these would make for great attributes for a popular fighter, but their personalities hindered this I believe. Woods was not a trash talker, very humble and quiet. Froch comes across as an unlikable arrogant guy but he's just super-confident and honest. Woods fought the better opposition but lost to them, Froch is more exciting to watch and has the more memorable fights.
Yobbie is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
rockandrollstar
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1940

Theyve both got/had shit promotors
rockandrollstar is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrollstar View Post
Theyve both got/had shit promotors
I was going to make that point, but didn't want this to turn into yet another 'Hennessey is shit' thread.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbie View Post
Both are deserving of a great amount of respect. They'd fight anyone, home or away and they both have great chins too and the-never-say-die attitude, usually these would make for great attributes for a popular fighter, but their personalities hindered this I believe. Woods was not a trash talker, very humble and quiet. Froch comes across as an unlikable arrogant guy but he's just super-confident and honest. Woods fought the better opposition but lost to them, Froch is more exciting to watch and has the more memorable fights.
remember woods trying to trash talk against tarver? pretty funny

that fight still annoys me, woods had the beating of tarver if he was 100%, ifs and buts though. great fighter
Old 04-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

difference between Froch/Woods/Witter and Hatton/Khan/Calzaghe is 1 man.

Frank ******
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
One Round
Hertfordshire's Finest
ESB Senior Member

Come on. I get the Woods comparison, but Witter? That's selling Froch a bit short. More people probably watched the Pascal fight than the combined viewing figures for Witter's whole career.
One Round is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
mugen82
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Round View Post
Come on. I get the Woods comparison, but Witter? That's selling Froch a bit short. More people probably watched the Pascal fight than the combined viewing figures for Witter's whole career.
Believe it or not, i think the Bradley-Witter fight got a higher rating than the Pascal fight, just goes to show how much bad luck Froch has had in his career. He's jinxed in some way.

But Woods is a legend, you could never question his heart, but his trash talking against an asshole like Tarver was quite hilarious, it just wasnt in his make up. A thoroughly nice chap, i rememebr after the third johnson fight (which i think he lost, but was happy for him to win, regardless) saying that the only reason he got into boxing was to get rid of his man boobs lol.
mugen82 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

he can still beat some good fighters, but he'll fall short to the very best, fighters like Bute,Chad dawson,ward,Tavoris Cloud would all give him a serious beating,regardless of how ppl scored the fight kessler isnt at his best anymore any1 can see that a froch struggled badly. With his Punch power (which seems a bit overrated now) he still has a good chance at other fighters in the devision
faisal is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

dawson and cloud are light heavys and i would expect both to beat him, but cloud aint that great yet
Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

carl froch has spoken about his desire to campaign at 175lbs thats why those names were mentioned, i'd make him the underdog against pascal as well,
faisal is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
mugen82
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Artist View Post
carl froch has spoken about his desire to campaign at 175lbs thats why those names were mentioned, i'd make him the underdog against pascal as well,
Pascal at 175 seems a whole 'nother animal, was he weight drained againt Froch, cos at 175 he is more than willing to box and move around, whereas in the Froch fight he seemd more focuseed on trying to knock his head clean off, and when he couldnt do that decided to last the distance.
mugen82 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Artist View Post
If he were to leave the tournament by choice, or if he wasn't able to qualify for the semis, I think LHW is his only option in the immediate future as well. HBO might put a fight on with Bute, but I wouldn't see that going too well for Froch, even though I think people are hugely carried away with Bute. Other than Dawson, LHW is pretty weak (B-Hop is irrelevant now) and I'd still back Froch to draw Pascal into a tear-up. At 168, I would relish a rematch with Kessler, though!

I think he's more than capable of winning belts in two divisions. Maybe this loss will make him even better; who knows? He might start to apply more pressure when he has the momentum now rather than just drop his hands and stare at his opponents, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him coming back even more determined now that his '0' is gone. It's weird because now that he's lost, I'm actually quite excited about his career again like when he first won the title. Froch might well turn into an animal now he's tasted defeat! Always worth watching, though, and I'm sure he'll sell plenty of career sets when he's retired. I hope he doesn't remain a fighter that only the hardcore fans appreciate, though.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think Froch could outbox Cloud to win a decision.

Woods was faded and only lost 8-4, and gave Cloud a fair bit of trouble with his 1-2...... unless Cloud really is that powerful - Woods probably has a better chin than Froch

Still don't see the fuss about Dawson, if he beats Pascal impressively then I might just be sold. Bute looks impressive but was all but done in the first Andrade fight, and I'm not inclined to overrate him because he beat Miranda, who's lost convincingly to pretty much every top fighter he's been in with.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum