Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
The_Hammer

vCash: 1000
Default Were your parents supportive?

Hello all,

I'm 15, and I've been boxing since late September/early October-ish (about 9 months I guess). I also play 2 varsity sports (rowing and cross country) at my school, so until recently I wasn't able to really focus on boxing (I was only at the gym 2-3 times a week, and sometimes sparring on Saturdays). I'm in real good shape, which I'm keeping up with roadwork every morning, and since I've been putting in an hour and a half or two hours a day at the gym (solid worktime, counting commute is bullshit) my technical skills are dramatically improving (I mean, I'm not quite as good as vicious boxer, but thats just unnatainable skill, I just don't have white sweatband enough for it ).

This is great because I could finally get my hands on something I've been hungry for since my first time in the gym: an amateur fight. However, therein lies the problem. While my mom was supportive of this when it was more casual, she's starting to get really uncomfortable now that its looking competitive.

I understand that she's just worried because she cares, but in a way I feel betrayed. I've presented her with as much information about the risks involved as possible (which is drastically less than many other activities that she has knowingly let me participate in: scuba diving, rock climbing, ice climbing, mountain biking, snowboarding and rodeo riding) and I've even taken her down to the gym twice to speak with my coach, but she doesn't seem able to make a decision.

I was wonderring if any of you guys have had this kind of experience with family or spouses and if you could share how they worked out.

Also, any good, scientific information from a reputable source about risks and dangers of the sport would be really appreciated.

I'm going to set up another meeting to have her talk with my coach, and I guess we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for any help!
The_Hammer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Default Re: Were your parents supportive?

My parents are 110% behind me.

But I understand, moms don't want people to punch their kids in the face.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
amy is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

my mom hated me doing boxing.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
USMCGixxer6
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

mom didnt want me towhen I was a teen, so I stuck to football and baseball. Now im 21 and she has no choice, lol. She supports it now though
USMCGixxer6 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
fernando4cv3
Journeyman

i had the exact same problem. my parents were alright with it when they thought i was just doin for fun. now they see im serious about it and openly show there dissatisfaction to say the least lol. they still dont want me doing it but i do it anyway. now they have just excepted it. they dont support me in it but it has gotten better
fernando4cv3 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

my cousin wanted to box, he went in for a few sessions, his parents hated it and told him if he goes to the boxing gym one more time he will have to get out of the house
Old 06-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

My father was a pretty good boxer when he was young. It didn't bother either of my folks, as long as I took it seriously and what not, they both understood what the amateurs were like and the rules and all. Shit, my mom doesn't even really have a huge issue with me competing professionally. Shocking, I know.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

My mums said that im not allowed aslong as im under her roof. So im looking for a new place (lol joke). No shes not happy but im 19 so tough lol
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

My parents aren't really afraid of me boxing, and all the guys in my family have boxed, however, I have always been driven to make something of myself and make a good life for myself. So the issue has always been: do you want to be a boxer? If so, what titles do you have, who have you beat etc. If you aren't an amateur star then don't bother and focus on other careers. Once that is established, I always get told that if I'm not going to go pro, I spent too much time training, which detracts me from focusing 100% on the options that will earn me $. I'm 19, and have been living by myself for several years already, however, I still respect my parents immensly for all they sacrificed to get me a decent life and to give me options sacrificing a lot of their own lives, so I really don't want to let them down. The way I reacted to this was to become very disciplined, have days which start at 4am, and to try to do both college, work and training almost full time at the same time. In the last year I just burned out and underperformed in all three, so it has really made me think.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47
My parents aren't really afraid of me boxing, and all the guys in my family have boxed, however, I have always been driven to make something of myself and make a good life for myself. So the issue has always been: do you want to be a boxer? If so, what titles do you have, who have you beat etc. If you aren't an amateur star then don't bother and focus on other careers. Once that is established, I always get told that if I'm not going to go pro, I spent too much time training, which detracts me from focusing 100% on the options that will earn me $. I'm 19, and have been living by myself for several years already, however, I still respect my parents immensly for all they sacrificed to get me a decent life and to give me options sacrificing a lot of their own lives, so I really don't want to let them down. The way I reacted to this was to become very disciplined, have days which start at 4am, and to try to do both college, work and training almost full time at the same time. In the last year I just burned out and underperformed in all three, so it has really made me think.
Has it made you think you should come to the US, where you could tear folks up at 201 or 178 and don't need to be an Olympian or something to get a good pro contract and go far?
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #11
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
Has it made you think you should come to the US, where you could tear folks up at 201 or 178 and don't need to be an Olympian or something to get a good pro contract and go far?
That's what you say mate, not what my tournament performances to this date have shown! If something drastically changes, I'd think differently. Besides, I enjoy the amateur game. If I could be half decent there than I'd be happy enough.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47
That's what you say mate, not what my tournament performances to this date have shown! If something drastically changes, I'd think differently. Besides, I enjoy the amateur game. If I could be half decent there than I'd be happy enough.
You'd do really well, the scene in the US is no where near as technical as Europe, especially at the higher weights. Jump on over and see sometime.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It was my dads idea lol. My mom hates it when I get hit though.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
It was my dads idea lol. My mom hates it when I get hit though.
tell her to STFU or do what i did and get a new one.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
RockOn33
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

my dad doesnt really care... he used to work for a boxer name Pete Muller(or something like that) who owned a deli and every once in a while Pete would set up a ring and have a huge block party, and my dad would fight in some of those, but it wasnt really amateur boxing, more like a hobby. He still loves to come early and watch me train a little bit. My mom on the other hand HATES it. It took me 2 years to convince her to let me start. Luckily, i talked to my moms mom and found out my great grandfather was a boxer, and i used that ad eventually she gave in. It was amazing because 2 of my 3 older brothers tried to convince her to allow them to box and neither succeeded. Now, my mom claims she wont watch me spar, but when my fights come she says she will be ready to watch.
RockOn33 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing