Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
GBT
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Darren Sutherland

Since the tragic death of Darren Sutherland I have not heard anything as to what might have caused him doing such a thing, if it was in any way to do with Boxing it is not right for this to be brushed under the carpet

Can anyone shed any light on it with any news as to what drove him to this he seemed such a happy man and and was a fantastic prospect
GBT is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
daveyboy1609
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 206
Default Re: Darren Sutherland

It was something to do with him being extremely lonely in London or something. Not 100% sure though.
daveyboy1609 is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

He was lonely in London.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

But wouldn't you just...move?

Must be more to it than that.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Its not as simple as he was lonely in London there are a lot of other factrs that take part in these type of things depression other mental problems are hard for us to comprehend on somebody who had so much going for him but these type of things have the worst effects on some of the best people
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
diggler
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
But wouldn't you just...move?

Must be more to it than that.

thats what i thought surley he could of gone back to ireland
diggler is online now  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

If he didn't leave a suicide note then we'll never know. He must have been suffering from really bad depression to do such a thing when his life seemed to be moving very much in the right direction, well, his boxing career anyway.

My best friend took his own life a few years ago in a similar fashion. I never saw it coming and I don't know exactly why he did it, and I was his best friend and closer to him than anyone.

I guess men don't seek help for this kind of thing as it's not very macho to admit you're suffering from depression.
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
GBT
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownCobra View Post
If he didn't leave a suicide note then we'll never know. He must have been suffering from really bad depression to do such a thing when his life seemed to be moving very much in the right direction, well, his boxing career anyway.

My best friend took his own life a few years ago in a similar fashion. I never saw it coming and I don't know exactly why he did it, and I was his best friend and closer to him than anyone.

I guess men don't seek help for this kind of thing as it's not very macho to admit you're suffering from depression.
Good post
GBT is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
jdawg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownCobra View Post

My freind did the same Cobra, I know exactly how you feel and sorry for your loss. Like Darren, he was always bright and cracking jokes you'd never think anything was wrong. Depression's so misunderstood still and like you say its hard to admit you have I guess.

Darren had his eye fractured boxing for Ireland in the ams and for about 6 months he wasnt sure if he'd be allowed to box again. He suffered depression then so he had a history of it. Such a dramatic change in his life being away from home and family obviously triggered it but you never know for sure. What a fighter he was
jdawg is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
safc1990
Goodbye Bolo :(
ESB Addict

vCash: 2952

I suspect that the only people who really know are Frank Maloney and Sutherland's family. I remember people referring to rumours that they'd heard from a solid source and also remember Sutherland's father on some Irish talk show hinting that he had issues with Maloney.

I doubt that it will ever come out into the open.
safc1990 is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I dont think there were any issues i think Maloney truely cared for Sutherland he let him live at his house after all he was easily Maloneys top prospect. The family are obviously angry as this has happened whilst he was miles away and seperated from them but i dont think anybody was at fault definitely not Maloney anyway.
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
SteelTownCobra
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
My freind did the same Cobra, I know exactly how you feel and sorry for your loss. Like Darren, he was always bright and cracking jokes you'd never think anything was wrong. Depression's so misunderstood still and like you say its hard to admit you have I guess.

Darren had his eye fractured boxing for Ireland in the ams and for about 6 months he wasnt sure if he'd be allowed to box again. He suffered depression then so he had a history of it. Such a dramatic change in his life being away from home and family obviously triggered it but you never know for sure. What a fighter he was
Yeah, things like this are very sad indeed. By all accounts Darren was a very likeable kind of guy.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend too, jdawg.
SteelTownCobra is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

there was an "elephant in the room" referred to on The Late Late show but surely that is something for Darren's family and close friends. does it matter if we find out anything now?

its happened, it was tragic, we should just celebrate his achievements now as a boxer and a human.

Does anyone know if that documentary "saviours" is online anywhere??? this was a documentary made before the olympics about his amateur boxing club, he was one of the main focus's of the film
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
loughlan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
loughlan is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
safc1990
Goodbye Bolo :(
ESB Addict

vCash: 2952

Quote:
Originally Posted by loughlan View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Truly awful what depression can lead to, suffer from a mild case of it myself.

It was very eerie the day before he died there were pubs in Sunderland advertising a card with him and Jeffries being the main attractions.
safc1990 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum