DRAW 1 0.88%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #46
BURNLEYBLUE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1016
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather jr vs Shane Mosley

I think Mosely is a brilliant fighter,and part of me would love to see him pull this off. But I just cannot see any way how he beats Mayweather.Defensively faultless,unbelievable balance, draws your shots and makes you pay,although with a little to much economy at times. I think he will step it up on saturday night and leave us all with mouths agape.
Floyd may not be the most exciting fighter,but he is defo the most complete fighter of our time, and imo will be looked back on as one of the most talented of all time.
Buzzing about this fight.Hoping it to be more competitive than i see it being. I for one am just going to sit back and appreciate the brilliance of Floyd Mayweather jr.
BURNLEYBLUE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #47
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

If Floyd goes out and wins this convincingly, then I'll be on here giving him credit. But, for me, I expect him to it in style. I don't think he'll be able to potshot the way he did at Oscar - Mosley will always fire back when under fire. When have we ever seen him in real trouble other than the Forrest fight?

I don't think he'll be able to muscle Mosley around. This is a man who was able to move Fernando Vargas and Ricardo Mayorga - guys who were weighing nearly 170lbs on fight night. Shane's a strong guy.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #48
harvinmagler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1450

floyd late stoppage, ala hatton
harvinmagler is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #49
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Mayweather and Mosley are similar in allot of ways, but in truth they are completely different. On the surface, they both fight out of an orthodox stance, and there best punch is the left hook.

What will decide this fight is not the similarities, it will be the differences. Shane Mosley is a pattern fighter. He has a winning formula that has worked for him in the past and he will follow that plan no matter what happens in the fight. He has hand speed, he has power, he bounces side to side and he will try to overwhelm is opponents with combinations. Mosley has not changed this over the years he has just refined and improved it.

Mayweather is an adaptable fighter. This is why he is so great and can be compared to the likes of Ali and Robinson. What Floyd Mayweather Jnr does in the early part of a fight could be completely defferent to what he does in the later rounds. This means that while Floyd Mayweather knows exactly what Mosley is going to do in the fight, Mosley has no clue what Mayweather is going to come up with. Mayweather knows that Shane Mosley is going to be right in front of him. If Mayweather starts to land Mosley is just going to start flying back, taking shots not moving his head, solely relying on his hand speed to win the exchanges. 9/10 it will be superior; but in this fight it’s not. Mosley is not going to show Mayweather anything he has not seen before.

Mayweather is a much better fighter than Mosley. He is more deadly, he has the far superior technique. From the very start of the fight he will be in a stance where he is able to throw his most dangerous punch the left hook. He can throw that that left hook at anytime, at the blink of an eye, faster than Shane Mosley. He can throw it to the head and the body.

Mosley will constantly try and clinch and hold Mayweather. He did this agaisnt Cotto, Mayorga and Margorito. This is a tactic used by Nazim Richardson fighters who are in the twilights of there careers. If the referee is strict on this it will play right into Mayweathers hands and Mosley will not be able to fight at the pace Mayweather dictates. Mayweather has incredible stanima.

The fight will be tight for the first 4-5 rounds, but from there Mayweather will have figured out Mosley and you will see Mayweather start to dominate more and more as the fight goes on. If Mosley is going to have any chance in this fight he is going to need to do something dramatic early on. Mayweather will b
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #50
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonan View Post
And Shane was a bigger underdog for Marg 6-1 if I remember right!!
That tells us all be need to know about how pointless of a fight this is for Floyd.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #51
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Mayweather and Mosley are similar in allot of ways, but in truth they are completely different. On the surface, they both fight out of an orthodox stance, and there best punch is the left hook.

What will decide this fight is not the similarities, it will be the differences. Shane Mosley is a pattern fighter. He has a winning formula that has worked for him in the past and he will follow that plan no matter what happens in the fight. He has hand speed, he has power, he bounces side to side and he will try to overwhelm is opponents with combinations. Mosley has not changed this over the years he has just refined and improved it.

Mayweather is an adaptable fighter. This is why he is so great and can be compared to the likes of Ali and Robinson. What Floyd Mayweather Jnr does in the early part of a fight could be completely defferent to what he does in the later rounds.
You make some interesting points here, but I don't entirely agree. First off, Mosley's best punch is his right hand, but he's such a good puncher all round that it's never his dominant weapon. It was the right hand that won his fights against Mayorga, Margarito and Oscar, along with his body work.

I'm not sure what you mean by a pattern fighter, but Mosley's supremely adaptable. He beat Oscar in the first fight by making adjustments, particularly in the face of Oscar's jab. You are 100% right about combinations, and also the fact that, like Holyfield, he knows that he might miss you with the first two, but he will catch you with the third.

Your last point is true to a degree. Floyd's is good, but he's nowhere near Robinson skillwise or in terms of the changes Robinson made - usually on the fly, even from the first round.

Floyd sits back in the first three rounds while he works out his opponents offensive tendencies, but Ray would actually come out firing to test defensive tendencies and how the opponent responds to different sorts of attack.

He'd see how an opponent responded and then he would see what their offensive tendencies were. This was usually all done in the first round. The two aren't close in this regard.

What Floyd does have a clear knack for is his positioning. He's excellent at being slightly out of range, just enough to make his opponent miss and sneak a right hand through or step to the side and land a left hook.

But we've also seen the bother Floyd has with guys who jab him consistently, with guys who can punch fast and with sustained aggression and, when he's on the ropes, his tendency to shell and lower his output to nothing, except for sneaky counters.

Good post though.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #52
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Mayweather is a different class. I really am baffled some people can't see that(including Mosley himself it seems).
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #53
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonavena25 View Post
Mayweather is a different class. I really am baffled some people can't see that(including Mosley himself it seems).
Proven by the fact he's beaten no one near the calibre of the fighters Mosley has/taken on fights as risky as Mosley has?!?!

Floyd will win this though; He has a massive edge in footspeed/movement, and whenever Shane plants his feet to throw Floyd will move out of range and pot shot his way to a points win.

Not a career-affirming win either, especially considering Shanes inactivity, age, and the styles clash favouring Floyd.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #54
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvinmagler View Post
floyd late stoppage, ala hatton
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #55
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Proven by the fact he's beaten no one near the calibre of the fighters Mosley has/taken on fights as risky as Mosley has?!?!

Floyd will win this though; He has a massive edge in footspeed/movement, and whenever Shane plants his feet to throw Floyd will move out of range and pot shot his way to a points win.

Not a career-affirming win either, especially considering Shanes inactivity, age, and the styles clash favouring Floyd.
No, it will be proven by how easily he beats him on Saturday. Your second paragraph sums it up nicely.

I think it would be doing Floyd a disservice to put it down to stylistic reasons as well. He's just better.

Their overall career in terms of opponents faced is another thing, but I think Floyd beats anyone Shane fought apart from maybe Forrest.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #56
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonavena25 View Post
No, it will be proven by how easily he beats him on Saturday. Your second paragraph sums it up nicely.

I think it would be doing Floyd a disservice to put it down to stylistic reasons as well. He's just better.

Their overall career in terms of opponents faced is another thing, but I think Floyd beats anyone Shane fought apart from maybe Forrest.
BOLD: No, it's styles.

LINED: Winky would dominate him at 154.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #57
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The prime Oscar would hammer Floyd too, btw. Much faster, much more consistent with the jab.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #58
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
The prime Oscar would hammer Floyd too, btw. Much faster, much more consistent with the jab.
Deffo. 130 Floyd vs 130 Oscar would have a good shout though, closer to his best IMO
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #59
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
You make some interesting points here, but I don't entirely agree. First off, Mosley's best punch is his right hand, but he's such a good puncher all round that it's never his dominant weapon. It was the right hand that won his fights against Mayorga, Margarito and Oscar, along with his body work.

I'm not sure what you mean by a pattern fighter, but Mosley's supremely adaptable. He beat Oscar in the first fight by making adjustments, particularly in the face of Oscar's jab. You are 100% right about combinations, and also the fact that, like Holyfield, he knows that he might miss you with the first two, but he will catch you with the third.

Your last point is true to a degree. Floyd's is good, but he's nowhere near Robinson skillwise or in terms of the changes Robinson made - usually on the fly, even from the first round.

Floyd sits back in the first three rounds while he works out his opponents offensive tendencies, but Ray would actually come out firing to test defensive tendencies and how the opponent responds to different sorts of attack.

He'd see how an opponent responded and then he would see what their offensive tendencies were. This was usually all done in the first round. The two aren't close in this regard.

What Floyd does have a clear knack for is his positioning. He's excellent at being slightly out of range, just enough to make his opponent miss and sneak a right hand through or step to the side and land a left hook.

But we've also seen the bother Floyd has with guys who jab him consistently, with guys who can punch fast and with sustained aggression and, when he's on the ropes, his tendency to shell and lower his output to nothing, except for sneaky counters.

Good post though.
Watch the Mayorga fight again. Its a big left hook that finally catches Mayorga to start him rocking, even if its the right that finished him off. Its also the punch he twice knocked out Fernando Vargas with. If you look back to his lightweight title days (btw I rate Shane as the 2nd best post war Lightweight after Duran) allot of those fights ended shortly after Mosley landed with the big left hook.

Pattern fighter means he always fights the same kind of fight. he is able to adapt in simple ways like avoiding the jab, up the work rate. He is able to do this against De La Hoya as he is also that kind of fighter. His only other fights against adaptable fighters were the 2 Forrest fights. The fights are almost replicas with Forrest completley controlling the fight in the later rounds. Mosley was unable to change his strategy in 24 rounds. He may be able to hit a good fighter with that third shot, but Mayweather is a defensive genius, the second Mosley starts throwing a combo Floyd will tuck up and not get hit clean enough to be hurt.

I wasn't saying he is better than Robinson or as good as. But he is in that category of great fighters. What seperates him from others is that adaptibilty. Ali, Robinson, Leonard all had the same attribute.

Its a combination of positioning and reaction. His reactions are simply phenominal.

Mosley has the jab to trouble Mayweather but his work rate will fall after the first 4 rounds. Allot of people blamed Os cars age as the reason he stopped throwing the jab that brought him some success in there fight. I disagree. Simply as Mayweather adapted and felt more comfortable with Oscar, he was able to up the pace of the fight to a level De La Hoya could not compete with.

I do not think Mosley shows effective sustained aggression. In his fights with Mayorga, Cotto and Margorito he was constantly holding and clinching. This shows that even against slower paced fighters he was unable to keep a steady pace of punching and had to resort to negative holding tactics. This is due to his age. The same tactic was used by Hopkins in his fight with Calzaghe. This is the Nazim Richardson way with older fighters. It will play into Mayweathers hands as he doesn't allow fighters to get hold of him especially if you have a ref in there that doesn't like it. Bayliss is the ref and he doesn't allow much clinching.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #60
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

Vernon Forrest is literally the only fighter on Mosley's resume to make you sit up and possibly use it to denigrate Floyd's choice of opponents. Vargas and Mayorga were mediocre and Winky comparison is just unfair imo.

It's not Floyd's fault that Mosley moved up to light-middle and made an arse of himself against Wright. People use that to cement Shane's legacy but he got dominated(moreso in the first fight). All he demonstrated was his toughness at a higher weight.

Floyd's optimum weight is probably welter(and we know where he started) so we shouldn't really be envisaging a fight with Winky.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum