Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #61
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather jr vs Shane Mosley

Quote:
Simply as Mayweather adapted and felt more comfortable with Oscar, he was able to up the pace of the fight to a level De La Hoya could not compete with.
That's a very charitable view of it, but respectable. I don't think Floyd's problems against Oscar came as a result of being slow to adapt - he bossed the first round. It was that Oscar was a much more complete fighter, even faded, than Floyd had faced pretty much ever.

Oscar just landed that jab and got tired. Even in the last few rounds, when Oscar did throw the jab it was landing and pushing Floyd back.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #62
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Also, the biggest advantage Floyd has over Shane is his footwork, being able to punch without getting set, punch speed(although Shane is quick) and accuracy. These are gifts, not stylistic intangibles.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #63
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

Shane is one of the better fighters Floyd has faced all this means is Floyd may have to work harder to make it look easier
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #64
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Also, the biggest advantage Floyd has over Shane is his footwork, being able to punch without getting set, punch speed(although Shane is quick) and accuracy.
Agreed, which is why Shane will need to have worked on cutting off the ring.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #65
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
That's a very charitable view of it, but respectable. I don't think Floyd's problems against Oscar came as a result of being slow to adapt - he bossed the first round. It was that Oscar was a much more complete fighter, even faded, than Floyd had faced pretty much ever.

Oscar just landed that jab and got tired. Even in the last few rounds, when Oscar did throw the jab it was landing and pushing Floyd back.
Floyd did come out quick first round. I put that down to a bit of nerves. Remember he had never been in a MEGA MEGA fight before. He won that because Oscar did nothing rather than bossing it as you say.

De La Hoya is a very under rated fighter in terms of skill level. I agree he got tired, but it wasnt due to age. That was a fresh De La Hoya but he simply could not deal with the pace Mayweather set. Anything in that fight was going to push Mayweather back. Remember he was fighting at Light Middleweight and De La Hoya has a 19lbs weight advantage on the night. Add to that small ring and gloves Mayweather has not used for 7 years.

I no its off topic but the De La Hoya that faced Mayweather was 10x better than the one who Pacquiao faced.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #66
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
Agreed, which is why Shane will need to have worked on cutting off the ring.
I would love it if Mosley did that and cut him off before throwing a brutal one-two-three combination ala Margo, but I get the feeling Mosley thinks he can hang with Floyd in a chess match(keeps talking about being faster than Floyd) so I'm half anticipating him trying to box PBF early on.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #67
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

The problem is Mosley is not a great boxer. He's a great gunslinger, a great fighter but not a great boxer. He doesn't move amazingly well, especially at this stage, and his jab is reasonable but its not exactly a Vernon Forrest type dominating jab that is needed to control Mayweather. He kinda of flicks it out there to tee up the right hand or left hook.

I see Mayweather's jab being more effective because he'll move better and be in better position. He can use his extra edge in speed this way.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #68
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
The problem is Mosley is not a great boxer. He's a great gunslinger, a great fighter but not a great boxer. He doesn't move amazingly well, especially at this stage, and his jab is reasonable but its not exactly a Vernon Forrest type dominating jab that is needed to control Mayweather. He kinda of flicks it out there to tee up the right hand or left hook.

I see Mayweather's jab being more effective because he'll move better and be in better position. He can use his extra edge in speed this way.
Bingo
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #69
ai786
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan684 View Post
24/7 is aimed at making fights more interesting and making underdogs look better. Don't believe it. Look at Hatton/Floyd 24/7

Floyd by wide decision/late stoppage
I doubt it mate that Floyd can stop Mosley, when he couldn't even stop Marquez lol.. Anyways I think the odds don't justify how competitive this fight is.
ai786 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #70
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Did anyone here Manny Stewards comments on this fight and his usual hedge betting?

Message to fellow ESBers, don't ever take Steward too literally with calling fights dead even going in. Try to find the beginning of Round 1 for Floyd v. Hatton and you'll hear that Steward is going on & on about how Floyd & Ricky is a pick'em fight with a slight edge going to Ricky for his effective aggressiveness (lol). I think there's some past skeletons somewhere with Steward running the K Gym outta Detroit and the Mayweather clan right there in Grand Rapids. A pissing contest between cats marking their territory?

He seems to always end a Floyd fight with "so and so brought the best outta him" LOL. I see Steward saying that exact statement then transitioning over to the Pacquiao vs. Floyd fight has to happen but Pacquiao better be careful because Floyd is a whole nother cookie. Then in the week of that fight Steward will do a 180 and say Floyd has little chance against the work rate of Pacman yada yada. Got to love Steward, still take him over those 2 other casual clowns any day though.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #71
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

There's no need to discredit Shane just because Floyd cherry picked his last few fights while Shane took on tough competition. Its funny now Margarito is overrated now, but everyone picked Margarito to beat Shane.

Nobody needs to tell me how gifted Floyd is, people don't have to preach to me about Floyd. I took bullets for Floyd on many occasions. I'm a fan of the sport first and foremost. So its time for Floyd to get his weight up (literally) no more school for the blind opponents strictly murders from here on out. And in two days I'll get my wish. I'm picking Shane to win the fight based on a few things. Floyd is still the best skilled fighter of this decade regardless. But Shane's style I believe matches up with Floyd's. I truly believe Shane will give Floyd headaches inside the booth. Remember Shane will walk though 3 punches to land one. I also think the level of opposition eventually catches up to you no matter how good you are, its gonna be a shock to the system for Mayweather going from Marquez to Mosley.

I read the other posts trashing Shane for losing to Vernon and Winky, but guess what, if Floyd had the testicular fortitude to fight them he would have 2 loses too. And let me get this straight because Hatton beat Collaza (barely) and Shane beat Collazo there's some six degrees separation going on with Floyd and Shane? C'mon fellas! Lol I like most of you on here and if you're picking Floyd that's cool but dissecting Shane, who's fought everybody is not a good look!
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #72
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I agree with you Slip. I think it's going to be a very close fight. I want Mosley to win and, while I think he's clearly up against it, I think he can do it. He loves to fight. He isn't just talented - he LOVES it. And, even if he's trailing going into the final four rounds, he'll bring it to Floyd's body.

Can't wait.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #73
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
. Remember Shane will walk though 3 punches to land one. I also think the level of opposition eventually catches up to you no matter how good you are, its gonna be a shock to the system for Mayweather going from Marquez to Mosley.

Being as its possibly Mosleys last 'super' fight, he's gonna lay it all on the line and I'm really intrigued to see how Mayweather handles the intensity that Mosley will bring.

Floyd for all his talents is what's wrong with boxing today,a money motivated squirt who truely believes he's bigger than our sport.
If Shane defeats him Saturday night,not only will it be a victory for him but also for the sport of boxing.
TheUzi is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #74
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

remember Mosley ducked Mayweather back in the day.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #75
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

68-9-1
Guy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum