Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
gallardo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Quality of Mosley's sparring partner's

guys,

I've noticed from the 24/7 vids that Mosley's two sparring partners used throughout camp seem quite young.

Does anyone know who the sparring partner's are? How good are they? Are they the right choice for fighting someone as technically sharp as Mayweather?

I was surprised by Mosley's camp.

Thoughts...
gallardo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289
Default Re: Quality of Mosley's sparring partner's

i think Rock Allen is one of them, he is definitely part of the camp - hes also naazims son. dunno how good he is though, he was one of ricky hattons sparring partners for PBF
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

The Dargan brothers who are nephews of Nazim, Carl Dynamite Dargan is actually a pretty good fighter. I think Rock Allen (Nazim's son) is also sparring with him.

They might seem young and inexperienced and in a different situation i might say it wasn't adequate preparation, but Shane is a gym rat who goes all out in sparring sessions and doesn't really need rigorous sparring at this stage. I believe he's probabily sustained more damage in sparring then in his fights and would just take something out of him right now, remember he's been in camp for a very long time as he was getting ready for Berto and where do find anyone who could imitate Floyd?

Fighters need different things at different times in their careers and Shane just needs sharpening up/confidence and not tough contact at this time.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think a lot of people are focusing on Shane's inactivity, but it's not an issue. he was in fighting shape for Berto, like Slip says.

The guy looked phenomenal at the weigh-in.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
loginistooshort
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Rock Allen was a very good amateur. Though in the pro ranks he hasn't fought great competition by any means.
loginistooshort is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
hagman1989
the boxing site , try it
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

who can give them the problems that floyd can in sparring , the answer is not may therfore young hungry guys looking to leave a mark on the champ is the next best thing

some of these old fighters that now get paid to spar are redtundant to a guy like shane
hagman1989 is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
jonnyP
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 85

does anyone knwo who ffloyd was sparring with ?
jonnyP is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
gallardo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
The Dargan brothers who are nephews of Nazim, Carl Dynamite Dargan is actually a pretty good fighter. I think Rock Allen (Nazim's son) is also sparring with him.

They might seem young and inexperienced and in a different situation i might say it wasn't adequate preparation, but Shane is a gym rat who goes all out in sparring sessions and doesn't really need rigorous sparring at this stage. I believe he's probabily sustained more damage in sparring then in his fights and would just take something out of him right now, remember he's been in camp for a very long time as he was getting ready for Berto and where do find anyone who could imitate Floyd?

Fighters need different things at different times in their careers and Shane just needs sharpening up/confidence and not tough contact at this time.
Slip, I get where you're coming from, but reading your post (and others on this topic) makes me feel like fans are futilistic on Shane - almost to the point of giving up on him.

When you say "I believe he's [Shane] probabily sustained more damage in sparring then in his fights and would just take something out of him right now" - if Shane can't handle rigourous sparring then what's he going to do in the ring? And if he's at the point of having sustained enough damage (which i agree with you on) - should fans be supporting a fight against Mayweather?

Back to the sparring partners, I would think someone like Tim Bradley would be good. I know that he was being lined up as Pac's sparring partner by Roach for fighting Mayweater.
gallardo is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
brucebufershair
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I'd imagine he's using them because their young quick guys and he's working on closing down the ring against faster fighters . He'll catch up to one and then when that ones getting tired another one of them will take over and he'll have to close them down again . Then repeat the process .
brucebufershair is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I think Mosley is a bit past the stage where he needs proven names in sparring. Mosley will know everything he needs to know about the game and his own game at this point.

Getting a few young, hungry kids that are sharp probably isn't the worst idea to sharpen Mosley's tools.

You can't find anybody that does a Mayweather impression. You can get a guy that does the defence, you can get a guy that moves, you can get somebody fast. You can't get somebody that puts everything together like Mayweather otherwise they'd be 5 weight world champs themselves and they wouldn't be the 'sparring partner'.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

In this situation boxers usually try to find 3 or 4 sparing partners who are a composite of. their opponent. They'll never find one guy that gives them everything that Mayweather or Pac will give them.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 05-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I question how much it helps though when you're facing a great fighter.

So okay, you get Steve Forbes to do the defence. Problem is he's tiny and hardly moves at all. So as Mosley the welterweight you bully him around a bit in sparring, job done.

Now we need handspeed and movement, Amir Khan comes in. How is Amir Khan's upright robotic style going to help prepare for a guy that ducks and rolls and slides at every opportunity...?

Any example could be used, it just doesn't happen and is basically a lost cause. Putting one or two attributes at a time infront of yourself and expecting it to have much use come fight night is optimistic. I believe you've got to get sharp, get your timing, and then hope once that bell goes you can figure out the right play pretty quickly. So I can see where they're coming from with these 'unknown' partners. Shane has the experience now, he's had years of good sparring and fights, he either has it in the bag or he doesn't, not much point spunking money away on sparring partners IMO.
TFFP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum