Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Mayweather - Martinez 160

I know it's a huge ask of Floyd, and personally the only fight I wanna see Floyd/Pac in this year is against each other, but what would you guys think of this ?

If Pacquiao stands firm on his end of the bargain, with regards to the drugs testing then could you see Floyd challenging Martinez for his WBO/WBC crowns at 160 ? If he went up there and then beat Martinez where would you class that win, in regard to his previous victories and how would you hold his record against Manny's ???
Dan684 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999
Default Re: Mayweather - Martinez 160

Well it would be the best win of his career IMO. How would his record compare to Pac's? I would have to say it would be about even, unless Pacquiao was to fight, and beat, Paul Williams at the same time.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Cor....i'd have to say to real fans Martinez is a real class operator and for Floyd to beat him at 160 i'd say it would be his top victory. I think it be that big a victory. Martinez seems in the peak of his powers and jumping two weights to beat him would be a fantastic victory.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

Yeah, I couldn't see Pac facing Williams. Maybe, Foreman (If he beats Cotto) but not Williams
Dan684 is online now  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Before last night it would have been laughable, but now? I think he could do it. I think he'd beat Williams comfortably too now, which I didn't before. Winning the middleweight championship would trump any single win Manny had but, overall, Manny's resume would still be a little deeper imo. Of course, if Floyd fights Manny and say Berto before moving up, then he has the better resume and would have shout at being the GOAT if he won all three.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I agree.

The Retard Room would discredit it though, saying that Martinez exposed by Margarito.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

I'm not overly optimistic about it happening but, as I said in another thread, I would not complain if we got this instead of a Pacquiao fight; I'm getting fed up just hearing about the fight now and am more interested in alternatives that actually could happen. The Ring middleweight title (if the fight happened I don't know if PBF would pay the WBC and WBO sanctioning fees) would look incredibly impressive on PBF's resume and I think a fight with Martinez would be an intriguing one. Given that Martinez isn't a devastating puncher and he isn't a particularly big MW, the fight doesn't seem too distant a possibility should the Pacquiao talks go tit's-up again.

Martinez is exciting, but leaves himself open. He throws from awkward angles and is mobile and has the superior height and reach over PBF, but I think PBF could win a points decision if he spent the night patiently countering; it could well be a fight only the purists could enjoy. I'd love to see this fight and, given the magnitude of such an achievement, would, IMO, have to go down as PBF's biggest win should he take the fight and be victorious. Super feather- Middleweight is just immense.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Bonavena25
Vamos!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Floyd would probably win, like he would probably win any fight(within reason of course) that he puts his mind to.
Bonavena25 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

i quite like martinez. cud be a good lil chess match
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
RedDragonBoxing
Ametuer Boxer
ESB Addict

vCash: 902

Would make more sense if the fight was at 154 for the WBC title :/ asking a welterweight to move straight up to Middleweight, even if its floyd is a bit harsh.

Still Sergio is a great fighter and would be interesting to see him against Mayweather
RedDragonBoxing is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
servo
England.
ESB Senior Member

Floyd is in a position to establish himself as an all time great, if he takes the right fights from now until he retires... If he were to face any two of Williams/Pac/Martinez (although i really do not see him moving to 160 - maybe 154?)and win - it would be incredible. I would be in vegas for the fight if any of these did happen.
servo is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
KingCobra
IBF World Champion
ESB Addict

I think Floyd and Pac owe it to boxing to get a fight on. I see it as an event of great sporting significance, and let's face it boxing could do with one. There can't have been many more important fights since the first pair of gloves were laced up, at least not in my humble opinion.
KingCobra is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

With a fight against Pacquiao looking uncertain, the 33-year-old Mayweather could try and move up a weight and go after light-middleweight and middleweight champion Sergio Martinez of Argentina.

"I thought about that," added Mayweather. "As of right now, I don't know what I'm going to do. All I want to do is go home and relax."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It's on the Scene as well. Much more interesting fight than PBF-Pacquiao, IMO.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragonBoxing View Post
Would make more sense if the fight was at 154 for the WBC title :/ asking a welterweight to move straight up to Middleweight, even if its floyd is a bit harsh.

Still Sergio is a great fighter and would be interesting to see him against Mayweather
Floyd has fought at 154 before.

Williams is winnable for Pac: P-Dub is susceptible to southpaws with movement by the looks of things. Tough fight, but Pac doesn't care about tough fights.

Martinez is a bad matchup for Floyd IMO. Floyd will struggle to boss the pace against an opponent he has no chance of hurting.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
emallini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mayweather is 3 wins away from being the GOAT. Pac , martinez and williams.
emallini is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum