Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vitali Klitschko vs. Frank Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I tend to think that the Lewis fight was Bruno's masterpeice but that he did it against the wrong guy.

If you could stick that performence on a lesser oponent then he might have really done something.
against mcCall i think was his best win maybe not masterpiece but he definatly did everything he had and made a win...he outjabbed early when mcCall came back to finish. he had turned defencive and used his reach to keep oliver outside he turned southpaw to mix it up and banged a big shot and clinched.

he used exactly what he had to do win. when he was a bomber with little stamina against a guy who could bang had an iron chin and better stamina we knew it was giong to be bruno winning the first rounds then boom a shot by oliver stops him dead.

against lewis he used great technique for a big overmusculer guy. and out boxed the boxer by being aggresive but damaging.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #17
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
It's true that Frank Bruno just fell short at the highest level, but the standard was pretty good back then compared to today. Only top drawer fighters beat Bruno, and not without a stiff argument.
Vitaly Klitschko would not be able to intimidate, outbox or outwork Bruno. He would not be able to walk him down or back him up.
Frank would be pleasantly surprised to find Vitaly so easy to hit, especially with his ramrod jab.

Bruno was a solid technician and if he kept to a gameplan he would box to a decent points win, or if Vitaly struggled with the pace, and started to let his hands drop he would stop him with a big right hand to the side of the head.
I know Vitaly had a solid chin, but Frank had a monster punch on him.
Oh, and if Bruno ever got in the ring with Wlad, his brother would suffer the same fate, only inside 2 rounds.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

If Bruno finds the straight rand hand he could actually KO Klitchko early. Bruno was a harder puncher than Tyson and Foreman if he actually landed. I don't know if Vitalis leaning back defense would work against a tall straight fast 1-2 too well.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
If Bruno finds the straight rand hand he could actually KO Klitchko early. Bruno was a harder puncher than Tyson and Foreman if he actually landed. I don't know if Vitalis leaning back defense would work against a tall straight fast 1-2 too well.
Bruno, a harder puncher than Tyson and Foreman?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

Quote:
are u thinking of wlad?

no way does he ko vitali early. vitali doesn't get enough credit for his defense. he knew when to take a step back when his opponent came forward and u rarely saw him get caught by consecutive punches or a 1-2.

Bruno seemed great early but would get very sloppy as the fight moved past the middle rounds. vitali was never behind on the cards in his career and only injuries forced his 2 losses. vitali's chin advantage and agression seals it for me. Vitali tko or Bruno by injury stoppage
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #21
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeIsGod
vitali was never behind on the cards in his career and only injuries forced his 2 losses.
Bruno's right hand could trouble even the best of chins. Oliver McCall went into his shell after tasting it and only got confident as Bruno tired.
I believe Vitaly would react badly to Bruno's power, and he would get "injured" before Frank ran out of gas.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #22
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Bruno will stand his ground, jab like its going out of fashion, land a big punch or two, even take some rounds but after about 5 rounds stick a fork in him because he's done.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 AM   #23
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I tend to think that the Lewis fight was Bruno's masterpeice but that he did it against the wrong guy.

If you could stick that performence on a lesser oponent then he might have really done something.

I tend to agree with both points. A similar performance would take him a few more rounds with Vitali, however a similar ending is almost inevitable (ie: Bruno gasses out, gets caught by a massive shot, freezes and is on the receiving end of an unanswered barrage: before the ref steps in).

Ps: I don't think that Lewis was hugely impressive in the fight against Bruno, however part of this was because Frank boxed very well behind the jab not really allowing Lennox to get any significant rhythm going.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #24
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Foreman hit harder than Bruno (by far).

Vitali has never thrown a punch with more than 60 % of his maximum power.

Vitali has never been KO'd.

Bruno has.

IMO, Prime Vitali stops Bruno in5 or 6.
cuchulain is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #25
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Bruno, a harder puncher than Tyson and Foreman?
A punch meter test was carried out on Bruno, Tyson and Foreman and Bruno came out on top
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 AM   #26
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
Well he may have taken a few breathers against Sanders, but that doesn't negate the fact that he threw more than 50 punches a round. I lost the document that had the exact number (as far as those numbers are exact), but i remember it to be over-averagely high just like other fights of his.
I think he only was inactive in the last minute of the 6th round in his fight against Lewis, may have to rewatch that one.

Still though, he never lost a fight because he ran out of gas.
Well, one could argue that his inability to sustain an attack after the 4rth round against Lewis led to his demise. Anyway, the point is that pretty much any world class boxer can average 60 + punches against a stationary punching-bag (Sanders); it's a whole different matter when up against world championship level boxers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
My point simply was that his punch output has been very high in all his fights and he has more late stoppages. In other words, he remains dangerous along the stretch.

Vitali lost the war against Lewis, but Bruno lost his wars also.
The difference is, Bruno fought wars and won, something Vitali can't claim to have done.

Quote:
I've watched this fight last week and this is simply not true. The only times when Sanders was effective was when he ducked Vitali's right hand and came back with a very hard and fast power left hand. It was also exactly that punch which stunned him in the 1st. When Sanders came forward, he usually missed a lot of his punches and Vitali moved out of the way. I do agree that Vitali is not a counter puncher. Some of them were arm punches but they scored and weared him down anyway.
He missed punches, but when Sanders threw sustained attacks (particularly in the 1rst round) he always was able to connect in the end. Bruno's attacks would be more scientific, more sound and harder than Sanders'.

Quote:
Incidentally, Vitali is much faster on his feet than Bruno is.
Faster, yes, but not that much faster. Vitali looked fast primarily because he only fought a handful of fleet-footed boxers (I can't think of anyone aside from Hide and Donald).

Quote:
Well this is what we can never know for sure. It is actually interesting because i think neither Frank or Vitali were ever really outboxed.
True, but Bruno was never outboxed at a much, MUCH higher level of opposition. It's like comparing Ali and Hide in this respect.

Quote:
Akward or not, he did it very effectively. Bruno landed a few very good right hands but he won most of the rounds with jabs, not power punches. It's not like Lewis was miles down against Bruno; i think it was along the lines of 4-2 for Bruno (just like Vitali-Lewis), but it has always been the later rounds when Bruno was more and more prone to be taken out and i think this is where he will meet his demise against Klitschko, after perhaps a very good start.
For Bruno against Vitali, his right hand would be more a device to keep Vitali tentative, giving Bruno the space to out-box Vitali with his jab. After the beating Bruno would give Vitali in the first 8 rounds (which would be much more brutal than what Lewis did to him) I don't think Vitali would have enough left to come back, allowing Bruno to cruise to a decision.

At least you agree now that Bruno would dominate the early rounds.

Quote:
Yes, but Lewis was a lot more durable than Bruno, Sanders was probably on the same level but then again, he got stopped by Klitschko. Vitali would definitly find openings and land those akward shots.
I disagree: Bruno had a better defense than the version of Lewis that Vitali fought, and was leagues ahead of the washed-up never-was that Sanders hauled to the ring against Vitali. Even if Vitali does find a spot, I don't think he has the one-punch power to turn around the fight in the same way that Bonecrusher and Lewis did.

Quote:
By the way, what's your evidence that Bruno hits harder than Lewis and Sanders? I would say they're about on the same level.
Based on their performance against common opposition: Bruno staggered a prime Tyson with one punch, Lewis failed to do that; Bruno had McCall scared of his power, Lewis failed to do that.

Quote:
And the thing is, even if he goes into a shell like McCall did, that hardly guarantees a victory. He had to hold on pretty desperatly late against McCall, and Witherspoon and Smith lost all or nearly all 10/11 rounds but they still beat him. Of course Vitali could break down as well, but Bruno comes off as a bit more fragile to me.
Bruno was more fragile, but I don't think Vitali is going to be shattering him. Bruno was extremely green against both Bonecrusher and Smith; it wasn't until the early 1990s that he really peaked. In the late rounds against Vitali, I think both would be holding on desperately, since as I've already shown Vitali had a trend of tiring early in tough fights.

Quote:
This could be one of the most robotic fights ever, by the way.
True, but I think Bruno-500 is going to be the robot who's clockwork dictates the fight.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #27
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
I believe Vitaly would react badly to Bruno's power, and he would get "injured" before Frank ran out of gas.
That is a possibility. Vitali's heart is somewhat questionable, something that can't be said about Bruno.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #28
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchulain
Foreman hit harder than Bruno (by far).
Actual tests suggest otherwise.

In a head to head test Bruno beat both Foreman and Tyson.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #29
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
Well, one could argue that his inability to sustain an attack after the 4rth round against Lewis led to his demise. Anyway, the point is that pretty much any world class boxer can average 60 + punches against a stationary punching-bag (Sanders); it's a whole different matter when up against world championship level boxers.
I think you're dismissing Vitali's opponents a bit too easy, in general. Like saying earlier that 'they weren't there to win'. They're professional fighters. I'd say they were dominated.

Quote:
The difference is, Bruno fought wars and won, something Vitali can't claim to have done.
Which wars did Bruno win? Vitali fought only one war which was against a formidable opponent and while he lost, he gave a good account of himself.

Quote:
He missed punches, but when Sanders threw sustained attacks (particularly in the 1rst round) he always was able to connect in the end. Bruno's attacks would be more scientific, more sound and harder than Sanders'.
Then again, Sanders has much quicker hands than Bruno. And i stand by my point that nearly all of Sanders' damaging punches that landed were fast counters.

Quote:
Faster, yes, but not that much faster. Vitali looked fast primarily because he only fought a handful of fleet-footed boxers (I can't think of anyone aside from Hide and Donald).
Byrd was probably fast as anyone Bruno faced with the exception of Tyson, but he didn't really outspeed Klitschko.

Quote:
True, but Bruno was never outboxed at a much, MUCH higher level of opposition. It's like comparing Ali and Hide in this respect.
You have a good point here. All i can say is that Byrd was only outboxed by his brother outside of him (the Ibeabuchi fightwas pretty much even). And Lewis, despite being old was still formidable. Lewis had not quite hit his stride yet against Bruno (Stewardless) and seemed to be bothered by the cold in Cardiff park.

Quote:
For Bruno against Vitali, his right hand would be more a device to keep Vitali tentative, giving Bruno the space to out-box Vitali with his jab. After the beating Bruno would give Vitali in the first 8 rounds (which would be much more brutal than what Lewis did to him) I don't think Vitali would have enough left to come back, allowing Bruno to cruise to a decision.

At least you agree now that Bruno would dominate the early rounds.
Well i don't agree that Bruno would dominate the first 8 rounds. I think Vitali would hold his own, maybe be behind on the cards, but have enough left to stop him late if not before the 6th.

Quote:
I disagree: Bruno had a better defense than the version of Lewis that Vitali fought, and was leagues ahead of the washed-up never-was that Sanders hauled to the ring against Vitali. Even if Vitali does find a spot, I don't think he has the one-punch power to turn around the fight in the same way that Bonecrusher and Lewis did.
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree; i think Vitali will get his fair share of punches in. I just don't trust Bruno against someone who won 32 of 33 fights by knockout.

Quote:
Based on their performance against common opposition: Bruno staggered a prime Tyson with one punch, Lewis failed to do that; Bruno had McCall scared of his power, Lewis failed to do that.
Lewis made McCall cry and stop fighting, i would say that is a class above making McCall go into a shell. Lewis made Tyson quit mentally with hard punches, Bruno couldn't keep him off him. I will admit that Tyson was ****ed up mentally in 2002 even worse than in 1989, but still.

Quote:
Bruno was more fragile, but I don't think Vitali is going to be shattering him. Bruno was extremely green against both Bonecrusher and Smith; it wasn't until the early 1990s that he really peaked. In the late rounds against Vitali, I think both would be holding on desperately, since as I've already shown Vitali had a trend of tiring early in tough fights.
Where have you shown the trend that Vitali tired in tuogh fights? The only example that i recall is the Lewis fight. And i wouldn't call Bruno extremely green; he had roughly 21 (compared to Smith's 14 fights) and 28 fights when he fought them. He had enough experience to thoroughly outbox them, he just didn't have the durability, and i'm not convinced he ever would.

Quote:
True, but I think Bruno-500 is going to be the robot who's clockwork dictates the fight.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #30
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
A punch meter test was carried out on Bruno, Tyson and Foreman and Bruno came out on top

Really? I find that a tad hard to believe. He's a hard hitter but to put him up with Liston, Foreman, Lewis and Tyson is a tad far, I think.

In terms of all round punching attributes (ie: handspeed, excecution, technique and variety) Tyson woulds surely top these three. No probs.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum