Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default The last time Amir Khan sparred with Manny is in training for Oisin Fagan..

Which is strange because I was under the impression Khan was a regular sparring mate of Manny's.

Considering that Fagan was the first fight under Roach and Khan has never sparred with Manny since leads me to believe that Amir was;

(A) Not benefiting from sparring with an experienced ultra-speedy southpaw.
(B) Opening a can of whup ass on Manny.
(C) Getting his ass handed to him by the Pac-Man so badly Roach decided to build another gym for Khan to train in.

With my experience and powers of deduction I've come to the conclusion that A + B seem a tad far fetched.

If you were a speedy talented boxer would there be any other reasons for not sparring with Manny Pacquiao?
Guy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75
Default Re: The last time Amir Khan sparred with Manny is in training for Oisin Fagan..

i think it wud have more to do with the timings of both their fights TBH
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
superfly98
Bull
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: The last time Amir Khan sparred with Manny is in training for Oisin Fagan..

Where did you hear this from? Manny sparred Amir before he fought Cotto. If I can find the quote from roach i'll post it
superfly98 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru

I thought the main reason for them ever sparring was to get Pac ready for Oscar and to build Khan's confidence back up. Since then they've not really needed each other in sparring- Pacman isn't fighting someone Khan's size (5'10'') and Khan didn't go on to fight anyone as small and as fast as Pac after that.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly98 View Post
Where did you hear this from? Manny sparred Amir before he fought Cotto. If I can find the quote from roach i'll post it

Straight from the mouth of Khan he's interviewed in this Month's Boxing Monthly.

He says " I did alright and would love to test myself against him again, I've come on so much under Freddie"
Guy is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfer_Words View Post
I thought the main reason for them ever sparring was to get Pac ready for Oscar and to build Khan's confidence back up. Since then they've not really needed each other in sparring- Pacman isn't fighting someone Khan's size (5'10'') and Khan didn't go on to fight anyone as small and as fast as Pac after that.
Exactly. They have no reason to spar. All this 'Khan can hang with Pacquiao in sparring' should be deficated on if someone tries to use it as an argument for why Khan can do this or that.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
i think it wud have more to do with the timings of both their fights TBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfer_Words View Post

Fair points I was just under the impression that Khan was a sparring partner of Manny's last year for the Hatton fight
Guy is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Fair points I was just under the impression that Khan was a sparring partner of Manny's last year for the Hatton fight
dont think they ended up sparring for that mate
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Khan was going to be Manny's Chief Sparring Partner if He Was Fighting Floyd. Roach said his speed and range would come in useful.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

In the Telegraph in October 09 the Headline was "Amir Khan to spar again with Manny Pacquiao" for the Salita fight and Cotto and again in Dec 09 Freddie Roach says they train and spar together all the time

Giving the impression that Amir is almost at Pacs level when he's clearly not if they've not been in the ring together for over a year
Guy is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP_1985 View Post
dont think they ended up sparring for that mate

They didn't but at the time Khan was going on how he'd be sparring Manny to beat Ricky it was all over the papers.
Guy is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Your right Roach was quoted as saying this but it seems he was just talking Amir up.
Guy is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Guy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Bill View Post
Roach wasnt talking Amir up anything, The Pacquio-Mayweather fight didnt happen and Khan wouldnt have been much use sparring wise for Clottey.

Seems he is, the wild Card are giving the impression the Khan can hang with Manny in the ring when he's only ever been in with him once over a year and a half ago.

Why am i bothered? because I was under the impression he was sparring with the P4P 1 in the world.

anyhoo I found it interesting.
Guy is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
superfly98
Bull
ESB Senior Member

Yeah sounds like Roach was building Khans confidence...lol I think Roach's gonna have his work cut out after Khans latest scandal.

Besides Roach has already admitted that Khan's nowhere near Mannys level. I remember him eve once saying that if they ever fought Khan would do alright i the early rounds but would get KO'd middle to the end by Manny.So he's still got a long way to go to become a better coach
superfly98 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Yeah sounds like Roach was building Khans confidence...lol I think Roach's gonna have his work cut out after Khans latest scandal.

Besides Roach has already admitted that Khan's nowhere near Mannys level. I remember him eve once saying that if they ever fought Khan would do alright i the early rounds but would get KO'd middle to the end by Manny.So he's still got a long way to go to become a better coach
What scandal?

He sent some pictures of his **** to a girl? Who cares?
onourway is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum