Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #46
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: What fighters do you rate better than Mayweather Jnr of the modern era

Its hard to realy judge when we have no comparison. Leonard Hearns Hagler are the obvious ones , they had great competition , PBF has no where to proove himself to silence discreditors. SSM was a great win for him but the closest he could have came to this style of megafighting would have been SSM and Pac with a few remaches thrown in. Whitaker has that kind of indistructable defence but still a comparison ios hard. Personaly i think you look at PBF style skill and practitioning of the sweet science and its hard to discredit him against anyone of a plausibal weight match up when you stick the face to face in that square circle.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #47
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What fighters do you rate better than Mayweather Jnr of the modern era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post

I'd say all things considered Hill is perhaps his best win
Very possibly so. On a separate note though, i want to say that i rate the Hopkins win. If all the talk of the pre-prime stuff is true to some degree, it is still exaggerated. He beat Bernard Hopkins at MW and i tend to give him credit for that.

I'm not a Jones fan, far from it, but i like to keep consistent with the application of how i rate wins and fair is fair. A win over Hopkins a few years later might have been better but this is still a quality scalp.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #48
Zulu Jungle

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Why would the number matter? Its who he beat to get there.

And the manner of the victories.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #49
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Bill View Post
Mayweather should try to beat Rocky Marciano record of 49-0, If Mayweather can make 50-0 and retire and never fight again he will be a boxing lengend for several generations and an all time great.

If he gets 50-0, I would rate him as being "The greatest".
Great post.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #50
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Great post.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #51
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #52
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'm taking a sabbatical. If anyone wants to get hold of me send me a PM
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #53
StevenB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Anyone's record can get pulled apart, especially on here! So I've judged it on my own opinion of pure boxing ability. There have been some amazing talents in the last thirty years. But there are a select few who have such amazing ability that you get that feeling of anticipation before watching them that only the very elite can provide.

Personal opinion of course but my top five are...

1) Roy Jones Junior (prime) I'm yet to see someone before or since with the natural ability, on front foot or back that this man had. Defensive genius, amazing handspeed, with decent power too - I just wish he'd stepped it up a bit earlier

2) Mike Tyson - has there ever been a boxer who can put a tingle up the spine and produce a feeling of impending carnage and menace like this man. In his prime, focussed, I believe he would have beaten any heavyweight of the modern era

3) Floyd Mayweather Jnr - people seem to go out of their way to disprove that Floyd is a great. I don't always like the guy, but I do think much of what you see is an act, designed to sell tickets. I didn't used to think he could stand up to pressure fighters, I was wrong. I didn't think he had a great chin, wrong. I didn't think he was a good puncher, wrong. There's nothing he can't do. Pacman is made for him (come forward fighter, no defence), Floyd will be far too good for him

4) Marvin Hagler - a genuinely hard man, fantastic boxer puncher who was denied big fights for so long because people were basically shit scared of him. Like Tyson, had a tremendous aura about him. My earliest boxing memory is of him and I remember him scaring me! Could box, punch, stick and move, brawl, he had the lot.

5) Marco Antonio Barrera - the epitome of the hard as nails Mexican who proved on the night he beat Hamed that he could box with the best of them. Power, ability, teak toughness a true warrior with underated boxing skills.

6)Sugar Ray Leonard
7)Wilfredo Benitez
Lennox Lewis (yep, really)
9)Julio Cesar Chavez
10)Pernell Whitaker

We should be grateful to have Floyd (and Pacman) because we'll miss them when they're retired in a year or two...
StevenB is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #54
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Tyson at number 2????
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #55
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Anyone's record can get pulled apart, especially on here! So I've judged it on my own opinion of pure boxing ability. There have been some amazing talents in the last thirty years. But there are a select few who have such amazing ability that you get that feeling of anticipation before watching them that only the very elite can provide.

Personal opinion of course but my top five are...

1) Roy Jones Junior (prime) I'm yet to see someone before or since with the natural ability, on front foot or back that this man had. Defensive genius, amazing handspeed, with decent power too - I just wish he'd stepped it up a bit earlier

2) Mike Tyson - has there ever been a boxer who can put a tingle up the spine and produce a feeling of impending carnage and menace like this man. In his prime, focussed, I believe he would have beaten any heavyweight of the modern era

3) Floyd Mayweather Jnr - people seem to go out of their way to disprove that Floyd is a great. I don't always like the guy, but I do think much of what you see is an act, designed to sell tickets. I didn't used to think he could stand up to pressure fighters, I was wrong. I didn't think he had a great chin, wrong. I didn't think he was a good puncher, wrong. There's nothing he can't do. Pacman is made for him (come forward fighter, no defence), Floyd will be far too good for him

4) Marvin Hagler - a genuinely hard man, fantastic boxer puncher who was denied big fights for so long because people were basically shit scared of him. Like Tyson, had a tremendous aura about him. My earliest boxing memory is of him and I remember him scaring me! Could box, punch, stick and move, brawl, he had the lot.

5) Marco Antonio Barrera - the epitome of the hard as nails Mexican who proved on the night he beat Hamed that he could box with the best of them. Power, ability, teak toughness a true warrior with underated boxing skills.

6)Sugar Ray Leonard
7)Wilfredo Benitez
Lennox Lewis (yep, really)
9)Julio Cesar Chavez
10)Pernell Whitaker

We should be grateful to have Floyd (and Pacman) because we'll miss them when they're retired in a year or two...
I'd watch some Jose Napoles
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #56
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I'd watch some Jose Napoles
Lyrical assassination right here.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #57
Zulu Jungle

vCash:

No way is Barrera better than Ray Lenoard.

Lenaord fought everyone - except his mandtaory challenger - Colin Jones - he retired before the fight - cos he heard how hard Colin had been training in the old shed in Wales.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #58
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Jungle View Post
Say from 1980 onwards

What fighters do you reckon were better fighters than Floyd Mayweather Jnr ?
Roy Jones certainly.
Evander Holyfield probably.

Marginally or Maybe:

Bernard Hopkins.
Manny Pacquaio.
Oscar De La Hoya.
Chavez.
Whitker.
Leonard.
Duran.
Hagler.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #59
Zulu Jungle

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cepillo View Post
Roy Jones certainly.
Evander Holyfield probably.

Marginally or Maybe:

Bernard Hopkins.
Manny Pacquaio.
Oscar De La Hoya.
Chavez.
Whitker.
Leonard.
Duran.
Hagler.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #60
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Jungle View Post
No way is Barrera better than Ray Lenoard.

Lenaord fought everyone - except his mandtaory challenger - Colin Jones - he retired before the fight - cos he heard how hard Colin had been training in the old shed in Wales.
and who did Barrera duck
LP_1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum