Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484
Default *Monzon - True or false, if he was American he'd be top 5 P4P all time?*

Im inclined to say yes
Smith is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: *Monzon - True or false, if he was American he'd be top 5 P4P all time?*

Most people would still consider him too boring for that spot- though i like him
dmt is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

Default Re: *Monzon - True or false, if he was American he'd be top 5 P4P all time?*

**** boring, he did what he had to do, nobody could beat him when he started his roll, i honestly dont think anyone in history could have beaten him in his peak, nobody.
Smith is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

An awful lot of American's do consider him the top middleweight of all time. In a division which has had SRR, Hagler, SRL, Duran, Fitzsimmons, Greb, Walker, Zale, Griffith, Benvenuti, Ketchel, Langford, The Nonpariel Jack Dempsey, Hearns and countless others within it's ranks, I'd say that's pretty good credit from the Yanks.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith

Im inclined to say yes
I think he falls outside the 5 whatever his nationality. I cant rate him above Armstrong,Pep,Greb,B Leonard,Ali..But he must be in everyones top 4 at 160
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
What in his resume makes you think he's even top 10? His resume is nowhere near enough,nor his accomplishments. He was a great fighter, but definitely not that great. This whole American thing is ridiculous, it has to do with what they accomplished rather than what nationality. Duran isn't American.
Yeah but if he was American he'd be no.1
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

If he was P4P top 5 he would have got in the ring with John Conteh or Galindez or Bob Foster
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
If he was P4P top 5 he would have got in the ring with John Conteh or Galindez or Bob Foster

Monzon was great pals with Galindez so that fight was never an option. A fight with Conteh was mooted for 1975 but fell through when John parted company with Mickey Duff.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

As great as Monzon was i don't see him being very successfull at light-heavy - he was not suited to it. At middle he was superb, top 2.
dmt is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
As great as Monzon was i don't see him being very successfull at light-heavy - he was not suited to it. At middle he was superb, top 2.

Of course, and in the days of one/two title holders, both very strong at the weight; not twenty years later when every Tom, Dick & Vasquez held a belt of some sort.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith
**** boring, he did what he had to do, nobody could beat him when he started his roll, i honestly dont think anyone in history could have beaten him in his peak, nobody.

He'd probably be rated higher at 160 if he lost to Griffith, beat Griffith in rematch, lost to Napoles, beat Napoles in return, lost to Valdez, regained against Valdez. Drew with Corro, then carried on till he was in his mid forties and lost to Mark Kaylor and Larry Holmes' brother.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

For part of the 1970s, Monzon and Ali were boxing's only two undisputed champions. As Carlos had no difficulty maintaining his weight, he had no incentive to take a demotion to partial world championship recognition in the LHW division. (Ditto Hagler.)

Should John McCain somehow manage to win the White House, he would attempt to implement domestic federal authority over an international sport. Carlos Monzon's career, in which he only defended his title once in the States, is testament to the absurdity of McCain's notion. (As I will point out to him personally when I see him, assuming somebody else on the boards here has not already pointed the example of Monzon's career out to McCain. All a federal boxing commission would do is drive boxing further out of the U.S.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #13
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I consider him the greatest middleweight of all time and one of the top 10 of all time pound-for-pound(top five is debatable) as it is.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
He'd probably be rated higher at 160 if he lost to Griffith, beat Griffith in rematch, lost to Napoles, beat Napoles in return, lost to Valdez, regained against Valdez. Drew with Corro, then carried on till he was in his mid forties and lost to Mark Kaylor and Larry Holmes' brother.
The scary thing is youre probably right

Just wanted to see what the reaction towards him is, ive got him as 8 on my all time P4P
Smith is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If he was American, or even spoke English and smiled more, he'd be considered a legend, right up there with Ali, Leonard, Duran and De La Hoya. Of course, he was at least as great as Ali, and better than the others I mentioned.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum