Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #31
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: *Monzon - True or false, if he was American he'd be top 5 P4P all time?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Hearns is better than either at MW head to head, and he's certainly not smaller than Hagler, regardless of what starting weight. Also, depending on how you saw the Leonard fight, you could say that one.

Some of the names beaten, I'd give Hagler the edge.

Ray Seales x3
Willie Monroe x2
Bennie Briscoe(just like Monzon)
Vito Antuofermo x2
Loucif Hamani
Alan Minter
Mustafa Hamsho x2
Tony Sibson
Wilford Scypion
Roberto Duran
Juan Roldan
Tommy Hearns
John Mugabi

Gimme Monzon's resume and where you think he has the edge.
Monzons guys are clearly better, why do i get the feeling that you really dont know many of them. Emile griffith accomplished more at middleweight than hearns did, and you saying he beats griffith head to head is pure speculation. I can say that napoles woudl box durans ears off head to head, wait a minute, that would be the most likely result.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #32
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: *Monzon - True or false, if he was American he'd be top 5 P4P all time?*

Quote:
Nah, Napoles was a smaller version of Hagler basically, and a past prime Napoles was worse. I think Duran has a style to give Napoles a great fight, it would be pretty hard to gauge who wins that one in my opinion. And Griffith was certainly past his best at MW, and when he fought Monzon. Hagler's win over Hearns was better than both.

You're way off base if you think I don't know Griffith and Napoles by the way.
\
Monzon beat about 6 natural middleweights that would be abc beltholders in today's era, and he beat 2 great middleweights like valdez and benvenuti. He wouldnt fight his own friend galindez and from what i heard its conteh's management's fault as to why they didnt fight, so yeah monzon is not the king of fighting smaller guys if he beat about 6 good fighters in his own weight class. His resume is up there with benny leonard's imo. The only difference is that monzon reigned for 7 years and never lost in his prime.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #33
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
But of better quality than Monzon, and I don't rate Hagler top 10 either, but he's a couple spots higher, both in the top 20.

Nope. Monzon title defences were mostly stronger. Hagler's pre-title opponents better. Griffith was a better middleweight than Hearns, that's obvious. Tommy's legs were gone after three mintues of the Hagler fight. I don't care how furious it was, that's not good.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #34
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Naploles was still regarded as the pfp #1 when Monzon beat him, Duran certainly wasn't when he fought Hagler.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #35
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Hearns is better than either at MW head to head, and he's certainly not smaller than Hagler, regardless of what starting weight. Also, depending on how you saw the Leonard fight, you could say that one.

Some of the names beaten, I'd give Hagler the edge.

Ray Seales x3
Willie Monroe x2
Bennie Briscoe(just like Monzon)
Vito Antuofermo x2
Loucif Hamani
Alan Minter
Mustafa Hamsho x2
Tony Sibson
Wilford Scypion
Roberto Duran
Juan Roldan
Tommy Hearns
John Mugabi

Gimme Monzon's resume and where you think he has the edge.

Well, Valdez, Griffith and Benvenuti were more consitent middleweights than all of them, only Tommy ranks alongside those three at 160.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #36
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Well, Valdez, Griffith and Benvenuti were more consitent middleweights than all of them, only Tommy ranks alongside those three at 160.
What about Frank 'the animal' Fletcher?
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 AM   #37
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
What about Frank 'the animal' Fletcher?
Ask redrooster, Frank le animarl would have beat Hearns, Valdez and Griffith all on the same night.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 AM   #38
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Ask redrooster, Frank le animarl would have beat Hearns, Valdez and Griffith all on the same night.
Damn straight he would have! Have you seen the animal in action? Thing of beauty. redrooster is a wise man
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 02:38 AM   #39
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
Damn straight he would have! Have you seen the animal in action? Thing of beauty. redrooster is a wise man
I have actually. I'm still astonished at the sheer amount of blood he left on the canvsas vs Roldan. The looks on Bo Derek's face at ringside are simply priceless.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 02:40 AM   #40
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
I'm not considering him as a person. He had a cruel, really mean look about him that wasn't a put on, or theatrical. Being a monster probably helped him as a fighter. I bet nobody screwed with him in prison. Like I said, he was as least as good as Ali, despite all of Ali's bells and whistles and charisma. It's kind of hard to compare two great fighters of different divisions, but the rest of those mentioned were in or near his weight class and if matced up, he would have beaten them with room to spare. Leonard by a decision or late tko, and Duran and Oscar he would have beaten like rag dolls, all coldly and systematically. He would have really hurt those guys.
Of course he would've beaten DLH and Duran at 160... both were former lightweights, and peaked between 135 and 147. DLH was rubbish at 160, Duran wasn't that much better. Leonard at 160 would give him a good fight, but wouldn't win. Stupid matchups. You are much better matching him with Hagler, Robinson, Hopkins, Walker, Tiger etc.

FWIW, I have him at number 2 at 160, but only top 20 P4P.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 04:31 AM   #41
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

IMO Hagler has an argument of having a slightly better wins resume than Monzon only if you include the Ray Leonard fight as a win for him. I do, and still consider it pretty hard to split their resumes.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 10-15-2007 at 09:09 AM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #42
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith

Im inclined to say yes
I'm inclined to say no good friend though as you know I am a big fan.

You can never get him above Greb, Langford, Robinson, Armstrong, Chrales, Benny Leonard anyway...after that things start to get interesting again.

I have him at #2 MW.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #43
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

Sweet Pea,

Monzon beat better fighters then Hagler and i am a huge Hagler fan. Honestly Valdez is enough to beat anyone Hagler ever beat including Duran, Hearns and Leonard
dmt is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #44
youngmonzon
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydsmith

Im inclined to say yes
Absolutely!! All the accolades Robinson gets should go to Monzon. Monzon would have whipped him. Monzon is the greatest P4P ever.
youngmonzon is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #45
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

It isn't when concerning Monzon's reign. He had it tougher than Hagler. Better middleweights and fighting in another continent all the time.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum