Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Arthur
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default How good was Dariusz Michalczewski

I really liked Dariusz Michalczewski back in the day but lost respect for him when he showed no interest in fighting RJJ. Still i dusted off some tapes of his fights and rewatched them. After watching them i remember why i liked him. He had a great left hook and was always exciting. He pulled off some big wins as an underdog.
anyways, how do you think Dariusz Michalczewski will be remembered?
Arthur is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
justaboxingfan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: How good was Dariusz Michalczewski

I remember that DM wanted RJJ and wise versa but niether guy would fight overseas. He almost went to a 49-0 record but lost to Julio Gonzales on points in his 49th fight. He was a heavy puncher and probably the best boxer to come out of Poland.
justaboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dariusz used to say he wanted to fight Jones...there was even a "open letter" written to Roy by Michaelczewski in one of the boxing publications , pleading with Roy to go to Germany.Both guys refused to travel across the big pond.To me, it diminishes both of their legacys.Michaelczewski was good enough to steamroll Virgil Hill, who had just beaten the previously undefeated Henry Maske, and had some other good wins, but if they had fought, I would have went with Jones to win.Dariusz had a style that didn't allow the avoidance of punishment, and he just wore out down the road.But in 1997 or 1998 a fight with Jones would have been damn interesting.The Pole certainly would have been a more worthy challenger than anyone else around that time period, but both guys *****s hurt too much to take a chance to get the fight together.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Very entertaining fighter, I ve seen most of his matches and i cant remember any dull encounter of his. As to the Jones fight, it seemed neither of them wanted to make the move out of his respective backyard and as we dont know what went on or was negotiated behind closed doors its vain to blame this or that fighter for weaseling out of the match. Both accused the respectively other of ducking them.

DM has provided the boxing crowd in Germany with numerous thrillers, late on in his career with his skills eroding he was known to start slowly and trail on points and (most of the time) still come back to stop the other guy in the middle to later rounds. Excellent accurate and fast jab, killer left hook, good chin and superb stamina were his best assets, he never was an outstandingly rapid mover and his defence was rather penetrable to put it midly actually his best defence was his chin. He was a face first come forward fighter and thats the sort of fighter that usually burns out quickly, astonishing feat he managed to cling on for so long.

He shouldnt have come back for the Tiozzo fight, he was shot by then.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Arthur
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNose
Dariusz used to say he wanted to fight Jones...there was even a "open letter" written to Roy by Michaelczewski in one of the boxing publications , pleading with Roy to go to Germany.Both guys refused to travel across the big pond.To me, it diminishes both of their legacys.Michaelczewski was good enough to steamroll Virgil Hill, who had just beaten the previously undefeated Henry Maske, and had some other good wins, but if they had fought, I would have went with Jones to win.Dariusz had a style that didn't allow the avoidance of punishment, and he just wore out down the road.But in 1997 or 1998 a fight with Jones would have been damn interesting.The Pole certainly would have been a more worthy challenger than anyone else around that time period, but both guys *****s hurt too much to take a chance to get the fight together.
yeah, to me insisting the fight take place in Germany is the same as saying you don't want it to happen at all. Jones was never going to fight him there. Jones was p4p, and had 3 belts. If Dariusz wanted a fight he would of came to the states to fight him.
Arthur is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Arthur
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry
DM has provided the boxing crowd in Germany with numerous thrillers, late on in his career with his skills eroding he was known to start slowly and trail on points and (most of the time) still come back to stop the other guy in the middle to later rounds. Excellent accurate and fast jab, killer left hook, good chin and superb stamina were his best assets, he never was an outstandingly rapid mover and his defence was rather penetrable to put it midly actually his best defence was his chin. He was a face first come forward fighter and thats the sort of fighter that usually burns out quickly, astonishing feat he managed to cling on for so long.

He shouldnt have come back for the Tiozzo fight, he was shot by then.
that made me laugh. Good post Merry
Arthur is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

What happened in his fight against Ralph Rocchiangi? (spelling!)
Heard it was contraversial.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azim
That would be quite difficult because they never fought

He fought his brother Graziano 2 times, winning the first by dq with Graziano more or less beating him up.

Graziano, that character! Was it a bs dq?
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

DM was solid and very tough but too often fought undeserving (non top ten) fighters to make serious waves.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
Arthur
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitas
DM was solid and very tough but too often fought undeserving (non top ten) fighters to make serious waves.
so you're saying he is the Polish version of Joe Calzaghe then?
Arthur is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
so you're saying he is the Polish version of Joe Calzaghe then?
yes.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #12
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

Very good fighter, fought a lot of weak comp that Universum served up, but managed to face the best in the world at 175 as well...until Jones entered the division in 96/97.

Overall I believe history will be kind to him, he was willing to face the best (as we saw when he faced Barber, Hill, and Griffin, and when he came out of retirement to take on Tiozzo), and had no quit in him.
Axe is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #13
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

DM was good, no doubt, but I think Jones would've made him look like a stiff.
RAMPAGE0017 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum