Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
atg

vCash: 1000
Default Sparring with bigger guys...

I frequently spar with guys that are 30lbs heavier than me. (im 145lbs). Its difficult though because I am 5 ft 9-10 or so and all the guys at 175 I spar with I can seem to get into them without taking a hit. I am pretty quick but I have to take almost a full extra step to get into my jab range when he is already in his. Its difficult and the only soution I have right now is to run in real quick throw hooks and maybe and uppercut than move out. I have been working on angling out and try to get them to move so I can open them up, but it feels like if it was a real match I would lose most of the time.

Normally when I fight people my wieght I just stay on the outside and use my speed, and quick jab to score points and open them up. I can't land the jab without them being in range for a few seconds. I can just move head charge land a few punches run out angling. However this is a very tiring way to spar for me. Does anyone have any other solutions on how to spar with bigger guys? I can't seem to find any.
atg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Sparring with bigger guys...

I spar with heavier people all the time, it's very good to get used to big hits and also causes you to work on defense more. I pretty tall 5'11 so I don't have to worry about tall people as much. But there was one guy I used to spar with, he was 6'5 220lb Russian guy (I'm 150lb), since he had such a greater reach then me it was almost impossible to survive in a outside or even medium range fight, especially because his punches felt like bombs. The best tactic against some one taller and bigger I found, is to get in very close range (I'm mean like your head almost to his chest) and throw hooks and uppercuts, put alot of pressure on him and don't back up, try and get them in a corner or the ropes. In that range it's very hard for a taller person to throw effective punches and they just bounce off you. Even though I was at a great disadvantage, I was still winning the fight because he couldn't throw anything to hurt me and I had complete ring control. Also it's not easy to get in on someone that much taller, just keep the head moving and keep moving in while properly slipping or bobing and weaving punches.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
jam-man

I 'm very new to amateur boxing and just started sparring one week ago. My trainer has me sparring with three larger and more experienced guys. I sparred three out of the last five days and pretty much got my ass kicked in the third session. There was no way I could recover fast enough from the first two session to be productive in the third. I even warned him that I was feeling ab and rib pain coupled with general malaise before my third session. He said I had to do it so I did it.

I seriously feel like one beat down mofo...he has offered me zero tips on fighting these larger guys. Is this good coaching? School of hard knocks? Do you just figure out how to fight with larger guys from just doing it more often. I'm getting no help from this coach. Just asswhoopins from big dudes. BTW, I'm 5'8" 164lbs and I've been sparring with guys that are 6'2" 215 and 6'2" 185lbs.

Does anyone know whether these are the proper guys I should be training with? I might as well gain 25 to 50 pounds to make it a more fair fight. WTF!
jam-man is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam-man
I 'm very new to amateur boxing and just started sparring one week ago. My trainer has me sparring with three larger and more experienced guys. I sparred three out of the last five days and pretty much got my ass kicked in the third session. There was no way I could recover fast enough from the first two session to be productive in the third. I even warned him that I was feeling ab and rib pain coupled with general malaise before my third session. He said I had to do it so I did it.

I seriously feel like one beat down mofo...he has offered me zero tips on fighting these larger guys. Is this good coaching? School of hard knocks? Do you just figure out how to fight with larger guys from just doing it more often. I'm getting no help from this coach. Just asswhoopins from big dudes. BTW, I'm 5'8" 164lbs and I've been sparring with guys that are 6'2" 215 and 6'2" 185lbs.

Does anyone know whether these are the proper guys I should be training with? I might as well gain 25 to 50 pounds to make it a more fair fight. WTF!
Pretty much the same thing that happened to me the first time that I sparred, I got put in with some guys that were a lot bigger than. I did OK in the first round and held my own but in the second and third I was completely gassed and got smacked around. Stick with it though it only gets better from where you are.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

I'm your height and weight, same difference in opponents. What works best for me is obviously an infight. If you're really close they can't get leverage with their long arms. Your punches on the other hand are made for that distance. They never see your uppercuts coming. Get close, but don't move out, stay there. Make sure your head is close to his shoulder and that your chin is tucked well. Hooks are easy to guard against with the left shoulder and right hand, the biggest danger inside IMO are liver shots and uppercuts.

Watch a lot of James Toney fights. He's a master at inside fighting, and not everything he does requires superman reflexes and an iron chin.

Here's something I noticed in James Toney, perhaps I'm really stupid for just figuring this out. In his older fights when he stalks a taller opponent, he leans backwards a little, say 2 inches. His opponent comes 2 inches closer to him to land the jab. When Toney jabs he leans forward a little, say 2 inches. He just made his jab 4 inches longer, no extra step needed. I tried this in sparring, and all over sudden I can jab with guys with longer arms. Perhaps it was just me being stupid or perhaps the whole idea is stupid, I don't know. Achilles? Gregsid? Any opinions?
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
silvy_chris
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

when i started sparring i was always put in the guys alot bigger than me, then i sparred one guy around my weight and his punches felt like nothing. it defiantly helps the psychological part of the preparation as well.
silvy_chris is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
jam-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
I'm your height and weight, same difference in opponents. What works best for me is obviously an infight. If you're really close they can't get leverage with their long arms. Your punches on the other hand are made for that distance. They never see your uppercuts coming. Get close, but don't move out, stay there. Make sure your head is close to his shoulder and that your chin is tucked well. Hooks are easy to guard against with the left shoulder and right hand, the biggest danger inside IMO are liver shots and uppercuts.

Watch a lot of James Toney fights. He's a master at inside fighting, and not everything he does requires superman reflexes and an iron chin.

Here's something I noticed in James Toney, perhaps I'm really stupid for just figuring this out. In his older fights when he stalks a taller opponent, he leans backwards a little, say 2 inches. His opponent comes 2 inches closer to him to land the jab. When Toney jabs he leans forward a little, say 2 inches. He just made his jab 4 inches longer, no extra step needed. I tried this in sparring, and all over sudden I can jab with guys with longer arms. Perhaps it was just me being stupid or perhaps the whole idea is stupid, I don't know. Achilles? Gregsid? Any opinions?
Thanks for the input. Yeah...I noticed that whenever I separate myself from these guys they tend to tee off on me. I have to keep my hands way up which often times blinds my view of the opponent. They throw punches down on me while I on the other hand am shooting at the what seems like the sky. I have to take a large quick step forward in order to land a jab and that gets tiring and throws your balance way off. If you've ever tried to throw a 1-2 at a moving target four to six inches above you head then you know what I'm talking about.

I'm going to start pushing my in-fighting on them like you said. Hooks are my forte. I especially love right hooks to an orthodox fighters left side. I can throw the hook down low and then come up with a hook to the head. Thanks for the advice. Can anyone recommend other good strategies? I'm all ears.
jam-man is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
The_Hammer

I'm 5'6, 132, 15 years old and I go to a gym with mostly grown men, so I have alot of the same reach problems as you.Obviously I go for the inside, but the trick is getting there.

If you just charge in I don't care how quick you are you're playing right into their game. You have to let them open up for you.

What works for me is basically developing a tight outside defense. Not necesarilly the harder slips: you're probably not going tobe able to counterpunch too much anyway because of the reach differrence. Just get low and raise your gloves higher than you would if you were fighting someone your size. That sounds simple but i've been caught with so many shots coming from a higher angle than I expected. If you're not too worried about throwing alot back(until the time is right, of course) defense is a piece of cake.

It won't take very long for them to get really frustrated with the fact that the area they're supposed to excell at isn't working for them, and they'll start throwing overextended jabs, and leaning in on their rights. That's when you roll in under one of them and go to work. They'll already be a little winded from throwing all the frustrated outside shots, so your body work will be very effective, and when they lean over to protect their ribs you can just bang away on the head. Also, when you get tired on the inside you can just sort of lean into them and you'll be getting reast while they're trying to get you off, which they can't do because their long praying mantis arms can't get any leverage.

THe only problem I have is getting caught with the jab when I disengage. The only solution I can think of is to stay engagd.

Best of luck!
The_Hammer is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Use their size, strength and power against them.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hammer
I'm 5'6, 132, 15 years old and I go to a gym with mostly grown men, so I have alot of the same reach problems as you.Obviously I go for the inside, but the trick is getting there.

If you just charge in I don't care how quick you are you're playing right into their game. You have to let them open up for you.

What works for me is basically developing a tight outside defense. Not necesarilly the harder slips: you're probably not going tobe able to counterpunch too much anyway because of the reach differrence. Just get low and raise your gloves higher than you would if you were fighting someone your size. That sounds simple but i've been caught with so many shots coming from a higher angle than I expected. If you're not too worried about throwing alot back(until the time is right, of course) defense is a piece of cake.

It won't take very long for them to get really frustrated with the fact that the area they're supposed to excell at isn't working for them, and they'll start throwing overextended jabs, and leaning in on their rights. That's when you roll in under one of them and go to work. They'll already be a little winded from throwing all the frustrated outside shots, so your body work will be very effective, and when they lean over to protect their ribs you can just bang away on the head. Also, when you get tired on the inside you can just sort of lean into them and you'll be getting reast while they're trying to get you off, which they can't do because their long praying mantis arms can't get any leverage.

THe only problem I have is getting caught with the jab when I disengage. The only solution I can think of is to stay engagd.

Best of luck!
I'm the same size as you, and when i go against bigger people, i usually just use my footwork and jab to get inside, im a southpaw as well, so i can come in at the right side.. Just jab to keep something in their face, maybe slip 1 or 2 on the way in though.. But coming in at an angle does wonders..
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
CMBoxer
Journeyman

You know something I realized alot of people have a story to tell in boxing based on sparring. Do any of you provide a sparring clip? I like to see how you guys box.
CMBoxer is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
CMBoxer
Journeyman

You know something I realized alot of people have a story to tell in boxing based on sparring. Do any of you provide a sparring clip? I like to see how you guys box.
CMBoxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing