Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829
Default Cleverly vs. Murat & Lebedev vs. Alexeev, WBO eliminators; purse bid on Monday 5/10!!

Reposted by request.

These probably won't wind up on American TV, but it's still big news and people should pay attention to these matches and try to find a way to watch them. The winners will emerge as very legitimate top contenders at 175 (Cleverly-Murat) and 200 (Lebedev-Alexeev) respectively.

The quartet (who are collectively 80-1-0) are experienced against world-level opposition but will face their stiffest tests to date in one another.

Nathan Cleverly is a free-swinging action fighter who's beaten some good domestic stock in the UK (Oakey, Fry, Quigley, Boyle and McIntosh) and stopped Antonio Brancalion. He is not a master boxer but thanks to his style and recently emergent power (similar to the late blooming pop of Hasegawa, but not as dangerous p4p) some of the Welsh/British claim him as their heir apparent to Calzaghe at LHW despite vastly different styles. He will have over five inches on Murat but has been poor at fighting tall, particularly against Boyle.

Karo Murat posted good wins at super middleweight over Cristian Sanavia (twice) and Gabriel Campillo. Against Cleverly, he'll be looking at a significant disadvantage in height but with Campillo he showed ability to cut a much taller man down with two-handed body attacks from out of a turtle-shell. He also keeps his head down and his hands moving on the inside, and so may be able to discourage some of the ugliness that Cleverly likes to introduce.

To the victor go the spoils - Juergen Braehmer is the sitting WBO light heavyweight champion. Either challenger would make it exciting, but most probably get knocked out by the heavy handed German. He was the first to KO Brancalion and did so far more convincingly and in four fewer rounds than Cleverly, dropping the tough Italian literally once every twenty seconds from the opening bell before the merciful referee intervention.

Denis Lebedev is viewed by most who've seen him as one of the hardest punchers in the game today, leaving victims such as Eliseo Castillo, Enzo Maccarinelli, and Ali Ismailov in his recent wake. He's the kind of monster slugger who can make you piss blood, but tall fellow southpaw Alexeev will be a step up in class.

Alexander Alexeev had been building up his own reputation for knocking suckas out, culminating with a destruction of Rob Calloway before running into a brick wall in Victor Ramirez, against whom he quit. Since then he's been hot and cold...allowing Contender alum Max Alexander to hang around for ten rounds (and even win a few)...but then blew out the Aussie leftie Daniel Ammann, a good but featherfisted boxer.

Whoever walks through the dust of that slugfest has the privilege of dancing with none other than Marco Huck in what could shape up to be a FOTY candidate either way.

- News courtesy of the Scene. Hype courtesy of IB.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337
Default Re: Cleverly vs. Murat & Lebedev vs. Alexeev, WBO eliminators; purse bid on Monday 5/

So, I will copy my post from general too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Yeah, thats a great card. Hope it will be in Germany and shown here. Cleverly-Murat is 50/50. Murat is more experienced against good opposition and already proved he can beat taller oppoennts which gives him a slight edge. Interestingly both found their power just recently. Murat wasnt a banger at smw but he is at lhw.

I think Lebedev beats Alexeev. Before Ramirez I thought Alexeev is the next big thing. But despite his skills, power and talent he has no heart, no desire. He will fold again against Lebedev. Id love to see him proving me wrong though.

Great card.

btw. this thread would be better of in the European board.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835
Default Re: Cleverly vs. Murat & Lebedev vs. Alexeev, WBO eliminators; purse bid on Monday 5/

Looks like a great card, Murat vs Cleverly is a great clash of styles, Clev will need to get a defence in order as it has been piss poor of late.

Not seen to much of Alexeev since his defeat has he shown signs of being able to deal with a good pressure fighter? He is going to be able to deal with a non stop pressure fight like Lebedev?
LHL is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
christo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I cannot beleive they made the alexeev/lebedev fight so quick. AA
called out DL on a vid on fight news and then walla. Fight made. Why
can't this happen in the sport more often. Clev is really stepping up to karo. Will finally see what the welshman is made of
christo is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think there have been talks about Alexeev vs Lebedev before. I read somewhere few weeks ago that their fight was set to take place on Chagaev vs Meehan card. Maybe ******/Lebedev dont like that fight too much. Hope it happens anyway.
Murat was appointed to face Glen Johnson in an IBF eliminator bout in the past year/earlier this year but he ducked it and so Muck stepped in also Campillo showed how its done. That wasnt a good win since it was a robbery.
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escopeta View Post
I think there have been talks about Alexeev vs Lebedev before. I read somewhere few weeks ago that their fight was set to take place on Chagaev vs Meehan card. Maybe ******/Lebedev dont like that fight too much. Hope it happens anyway.
Murat was appointed to face Glen Johnson in an IBF eliminator bout in the past year/earlier this year but he ducked it and so Muck stepped in also Campillo showed how its done. That wasnt a good win since it was a robbery.

Just like every close fight is a robbery, right? Im soo tired of it.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It wasnt close. Murat won the first and second round and then got outclassed. Campillo owned his ass.
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escopeta View Post
It wasnt close. Murat won the first and second round and then got outclassed. Campillo owned his ass.
Whatever you say ....
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

watch the fight
Escopeta is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Campillo did not own Murat. That is silly.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Universum (Alexeev's promoter) won the bid against Lebdev. They will announce the time and place for the fight to determine Marco Huck's mandatory challenger in the next couple of days.

Cleverly vs. Murat is supposed to happen in Wales in September, with Maccarinelli on the undercard against Alexander Frenkel.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Universum (Alexeev's promoter) won the bid against Lebdev. They will announce the time and place for the fight to determine Marco Huck's mandatory challenger in the next couple of days.

Cleverly vs. Murat is supposed to happen in Wales in September, with Maccarinelli on the undercard against Alexander Frenkel.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum