Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #46
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Just a quick run down.

Arrived at Warragul with Noel Kunde (Lionel won the Aussie crown from Noel) and ventured to the resturant to meet up with Lionel and Jenny and the crew from the Fitzroy Stars Gym... **** me dead, there's the Mayor of Warragul, the statue organisers, Barry & Sue Michael, Bomber, Lionel & Jenny, HoF President Brett and a list of others- all dressed to the 9's.. Im in tshirt, jeans and sneakers. Good start...

The look on Lionels face when he saw Noel Kunde was one of those moments to remember- bloody wrapt- as Noel had flown down from QLD for the occasion. Had a dinner and there was a couple of presentations and speaches among the crew. The two organisers, Stephen Mold and Rob McCarthy being the reciepients of a massive framed picture of Lionel and his brothers sitting outside the Humpy at Jacksons Track, neither man hiding their emotions or gratitude when presented with the framed pics... Stood outside listening to a pissed ASHLEY crapping on for 20 minutes..A few sore heads the following morning.

Down to the main street at 10am (not enough sleep) to see the formalities getting closer. Familiar faces everywhere- Gus Mercurio, COULDHAVEBEEN, Matty Ropis, Shane Delaney, Stu Patterson, Sam Soliman, Howard Leigh, Dave Russell, Jeff Fenech, Young Victor, Mick Croucher, Brian Membrey, Barry Michael, Porky Brooke, Bomber Peden... like CHB said, plenty more trainers, fighters, press and fans.

Putting the ceremony into words is near impossible with my own anti-Shakespearian abilities, and it'll take some time to remember the finer details- there's 100 stories about the day that made it special.

The speeches went bloody well. Barry Michael and Brett McCormick really nailed the crowds feelings and Jenny Rose reminded us that Old Lionel is just human afterall, having to run the boundaries in the under 13's footy etc. Presentations via the WBC and WBA were also afforded to the Legend Lionel accompanied by 'sell, sell, sell' speeches...Made a special effort to get some photo's of a certain 'Young' man, but the prick left before I could get back from the shops. Have a good ally in a press photographer there... so all is not lost.
flamengo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #47
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Looking forward to hearing the full report. Well done everyone involved.

Passed on your father's words mate... Absolutely stoked to hear them. He's proud to be associated with Al.
flamengo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #48
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Just a quick run down.

Arrived at Warragul with Noel Kunde (Lionel won the Aussie crown from Noel) and ventured to the resturant to meet up with Lionel and Jenny and the crew from the Fitzroy Stars Gym... **** me dead, there's the Mayor of Warragul, the statue organisers, Barry & Sue Michael, Bomber, Lionel & Jenny, HoF President Brett and a list of others- all dressed to the 9's.. Im in tshirt, jeans and sneakers. Good start...

The look on Lionels face when he saw Noel Kunde was one of those moments to remember- bloody wrapt- as Noel had flown down from QLD for the occasion. Had a dinner and there was a couple of presentations and speaches among the crew. The two organisers, Stephen Mold and Rob McCarthy being the reciepients of a massive framed picture of Lionel and his brothers sitting outside the Humpy at Jacksons Track, neither man hiding their emotions or gratitude when presented with the framed pics... Stood outside listening to a pissed ASHLEY crapping on for 20 minutes..A few sore heads the following morning.

Down to the main street at 10am (not enough sleep) to see the formalities getting closer. Familiar faces everywhere- Gus Mercurio, COULDHAVEBEEN, Matty Ropis, Shane Delaney, Stu Patterson, Sam Soliman, Howard Leigh, Dave Russell, Jeff Fenech, Young Victor, Mick Croucher, Brian Membrey, Barry Michael, Porky Brooke, Bomber Peden... like CHB said, plenty more trainers, fighters, press and fans.

Putting the ceremony into words is near impossible with my own anti-Shakespearian abilities, and it'll take some time to remember the finer details- there's 100 stories about the day that made it special.

The speeches went bloody well. Barry Michael and Brett McCormick really nailed the crowds feelings and Jenny Rose reminded us that Old Lionel is just human afterall, having to run the boundaries in the under 13's footy etc. Presentations via the WBC and WBA were also afforded to the Legend Lionel accompanied by 'sell, sell, sell' speeches...Made a special effort to get some photo's of a certain 'Young' man, but the prick left before I could get back from the shops. Have a good ally in a press photographer there... so all is not lost.
Good wrap-up........left out Fammo.....but hey, it was a who's who roll call mate.

Wish I could have hung around for a beer but had commitments.

So glad I made the trip though. It's not every day you can be a witness to history.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #49
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Good wrap-up........left out Fammo.....but hey, it was a who's who roll call mate.

Wish I could have hung around for a beer but had commitments.

So glad I made the trip though. It's not every day you can be a witness to history.
Mate, great to stand with you when the speeches were being done.

The one major highlight of the day came late in the arvo. Got a brief few minutes to ask Rob McCarthy some Q?'s about the organisation of the event from scratch. We had a beer as he spoke about the finer details and then he pointed out the pub window.. "Look at that will ya"

He pointed more directly at two young kids, maybe 10y/o sitting on the park bench beside the statue, pointing up at Lionel and talking away. Seeing these two kids chatting away, Rob said that's the perfect ending to the movie. He looked bloody proud as punch to see that moment, almost like the legacy is safe with the next generation already. Neither child would know sweer FA about Lionel yet, but they'll understand soon enough.
flamengo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #50
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Also great in this hi tech age that we could share this with Al Francis on the other side of the world.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #51
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Sounds like it was a great and emotional day, would of been lovely to have been there.
AlFrancis is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #52
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Keep your eyes and ears open for a forth coming movie relating to the statue, Lionel and other things. Might be on the shelves by xmas.
flamengo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #53
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamengo View Post
Keep your eyes and ears open for a forth coming movie relating to the statue, Lionel and other things. Might be on the shelves by xmas.
Great stuff.

Heard somewhere the total cost of the statue was about $140 - $150,000.

...but certainly more than justified and well spent.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #54
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Great stuff.

Heard somewhere the total cost of the statue was about $140 - $150,000.

...but certainly more than justified and well spent.

$180,000 was mentioned also mate...

Fat arsed politicians waste more than that on 'official' holidays wasted walking down the streets of Paris researching street signs and the benefits of them.

There's no cost in honouring Lionel, just an contribution of respect.
flamengo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #55
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Just bought this month's FIST and there on pages 36, 37 is an excellent summary of Lionel's statue unveiling by a well known ESB poster.

Good stuff Tony - I was there on the day as you know - but your article took me back there for another look around.





...and sorry page 15 is better than your contribution.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #56
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mundine's undercard
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 500
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

She's a poof.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #57
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 970
Default Re: Lionel Rose Statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
She's a poof.
Maybe poof an option worth considering then?

Less the yellow fag-bag though - clashes with prison uniform.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013