Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
tills9191
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Mma Vs Boxing

Ok,just wana know what you guys think of MMA-UFC, and if it's taking over boxing in Australia.. For me, I think the sport is nothing special, it's kind of boring-
This is your typical fight..they walk around each other for 10 seconds, then some1 tackles the other and 1 lies on top of each other for countless minutes,and thats all you get a wrestle with some punches thrown...for like the entire fight..its So damn boring..I've only seen 1 good fight , and that was a kickboxer vs a wrestler, Maurice Smith vs Mark Coleman, that was an exciting fight, best of the best..

Other than that its pretty damn boring..its just a wrestle most times...
tills9191 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mma Vs Boxing

mate your 100% right on - its totally boring and the punches are weak as. The sport will be banned once they realise the brain damage cases coming out of it are 200 times that of boxing
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Personally I dislike the UFC, I think the cage is ridiculous, and the 'toughman' attitude/presentation is also shit, and draws in the WWF crowd more than the boxing crowd anyway.

That said I always enjoyed PRIDE, it's pretty much gone now. Still I liked it when it was around. Had a ring, showy entrances, nice professional presentation and good commentary (e.g, Bas Rutten). Rules were different, if there was no action on the ground (lay and pray), the fighters would be stood up... and if a fighter 'didn't fight' ala Taylor v Spinks, a percentage of the purse could be suspended for the culpable fighter.

It was pretty big in Japan but it all went bust when the TV contract wasn't renewed.

The attitude in mma is different as well, you get a lot more, 'educated people' in the sport, teachers, people with degrees are there (probably the college wrestling crowd), I guess like kickboxing the sport is more technical at heart than action packed. It's less brutal in terms of brain damage (sorry banker, just the facts), in boxing you take the same concussive force to the head many times over, you go down you get a 10 count, and can get up and do it all over again, until you're still taking shots dehydrated in the late rounds, in mma you go down hard odds are the ref is going to stop it (there's no count), it's also seen as acceptable to tap.

The extra damage in mma is, hyperextension of ligaments, possible broken bones, etc, basically the danger that comes form locks, chokes, etc. In terms of brain damage though, boxing still beats it easily.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, people who enjoy it can watch it, I still don't know why hardcore boxing fans get so worked up over it I like watching it on occasion, and have done a little bit of jiu-jitsu so I can appreciate the ground game more than some. The best example i can think of to what i'm saying is, it's a bit hard to appreciate a chess game if you don't know the rules.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Guys you are both totally wrong. First off, the UFC you saw Tills is ANCIENT. It has improved leaps and bounds since then. Now that fighters have better sprawling skills they are more effectively able to avoid the ground game. There is much more stand up and to do well you have to be a decent stand up fighter. The fights now have rounds and the general pace is MUCH faster then it was before. In terms of damage, because they are not taking sustained punishment like in boxing, the levels of brain damage is virtually non existent. The only injuries ever sustained in MMA have been superficial.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

I would recommend watching some of the newer ones and giving it a shot. Boxing plays a much bigger part now, and while it will never out do boxing for me, I still thoroughly enjoy it. It is very skillfull, and IMO is much more exciting then watching the kickboxing, which can be very scrappy not as technical at times.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Dekkers the UFC bought Pride, so now all the best fighters in the world are under one banner, which will make for some exciting fights. I have seen some fantastic UFC fights of late. LIke everything you will get the occasional dull one, but then so does boxing. They do stand you up now if not as much is happening, and the pace is a lot faster then it was before. It is a professional sport now, where as before it was something of a side show.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Dekkers the UFC bought Pride, so now all the best fighters in the world are under one banner, which will make for some exciting fights. I have seen some fantastic UFC fights of late. LIke everything you will get the occasional dull one, but then so does boxing. They do stand you up now if not as much is happening, and the pace is a lot faster then it was before. It is a professional sport now, where as before it was something of a side show.
I know UFC bought PRIDE, but it seems that Zuffa will be closing it down (instead of continuing to run it for the Japanese market, which is what they said at first), I miss that alternate presentation for mma. I dislike the 'product' that is UFC, but now i don't have much of a choice now that PRIDE is in essence gone, UFC is all there is.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Guys you are both totally wrong. First off, the UFC you saw Tills is ANCIENT. It has improved leaps and bounds since then. Now that fighters have better sprawling skills they are more effectively able to avoid the ground game. There is much more stand up and to do well you have to be a decent stand up fighter. The fights now have rounds and the general pace is MUCH faster then it was before. In terms of damage, because they are not taking sustained punishment like in boxing, the levels of brain damage is virtually non existent. The only injuries ever sustained in MMA have been superficial.
i still disagree - the gloves; if you can call them that, are extremely thin and provide even less protection than standard 10oz pro boxing gloves. Couple that with the fact that you can kick/knee people in the head and hit them whilst they are down and i think you have a recipe for brain damage
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing_banker
i still disagree - the gloves; if you can call them that, are extremely thin and provide even less protection than standard 10oz pro boxing gloves. Couple that with the fact that you can kick/knee people in the head and hit them whilst they are down and i think you have a recipe for brain damage
On the whole you're better off taking one good kick to the head, than several hundred punches, dozens of those whilst dehydrated. Pretty rare to see good kicks to the head in mma anyway, very few guys who can do it effectively. Thin gloves or thick glove, brain damage comes from concussive force, there's not really a massive difference in concussive force since most of the bodyweight will transfer anyway... the major difference will be with cutting and bruising, slightly faster hands (if you have equivalent technique to a boxer, which is usually not the case) and it being more difficult to parry with gloves.

Have a look at his fight (about 90 seconds), this is how the scenario you mentioned is typically handled. Do you see much risk of brain damage, much more than boxing?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkers
On the whole you're better off taking one good kick to the head, than several hundred punches, dozens of those whilst dehydrated. Pretty rare to see good kicks to the head in mma anyway, very few guys who can do it effectively. Thin gloves or thick glove, brain damage comes from concussive force, there's not really a massive difference in concussive force since most of the bodyweight will transfer anyway... the major difference will be with cutting and bruising, slightly faster hands (if you have equivalent technique to a boxer, which is usually not the case) and it being more difficult to parry with gloves.

Have a look at his fight (about 90 seconds), this is how the scenario you mentioned is typically handled. Do you see much risk of brain damage, much more than boxing?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Good post mate. SPot on
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkers
I know UFC bought PRIDE, but it seems that Zuffa will be closing it down (instead of continuing to run it for the Japanese market, which is what they said at first), I miss that alternate presentation for mma. I dislike the 'product' that is UFC, but now i don't have much of a choice now that PRIDE is in essence gone, UFC is all there is.
Wasn't sure if you realised or not. Yes I also prefered pride just due to the difference in the rules, but I like the UFC also. I know what your saying though about it being supported by a lot of rednecks.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #12
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Good post mate. SPot on
point taken i guess i was just trying for any reason not to like it haha
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing_banker
point taken i guess i was just trying for any reason not to like it haha
I can see where you are coming from logically. Its just that I have heard report about it, that explained the statistics and results of tests ect. I would probably think the same thing If I hadn't have seen anything either.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #14
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Yeah, MMA, UFC what ever it's all called. It had decent shock value for a while... "ooooh no holds barred!" "Banned sport makes it's debut" etc etc, but after you see it was all hype, you learn that these guys aren't anywhere near as dangerous as they're made out to be among the other draw backs of watching it (slow matches, frequent takedowns, lots of holding - sometimes it's like a horizontal version of a Ruiz fight)... it's just not as interesting.
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
I can see where you are coming from logically. Its just that I have heard report about it, that explained the statistics and results of tests ect. I would probably think the same thing If I hadn't have seen anything either.
am i right in saying it used to be heaps more brutal than it is now? seems that the rules are more regulated and its no longer a no holds barred kind of thing
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum