COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970
Default Geale v Macklin in Sydney - August

Geale to face Macklin
By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
10th May 2010

Leading Australian promoter Bill Treacy and future Hall of Famer Ricky Hatton will co-promote world middleweight contenders Daniel Geale (22-1, 13 KOs) and England’s Mathew Macklin (26-2, 18 KOs) in Sydney, NSW, Australia during August in what promises to outstanding matchup between two of the best 160 pounders in the world today.

Hatton was in a Sydney, Australia in December last year and had talks with Treacy regarding promotions featuring Australian and English boxers.

“Ricky Hatton has been a pleasure to work with.” said Treacy.” We are happy that Daniel Geale will clash with Mathew Macklin. Both Geale and Macklin have shown they deserve to there world ratings and both have there sights set on a shot at the IBF middleweight championship currently held by Sebastian Sylvester (33-3, 16 KOs).”

He continued, “Sylvester will be defending the championship in Germany on June 5th against Roman Karmazin (40-3-1, 26 KOs) who in my opinion has a good chance of winning the title. Karmazin has scored impressive victories in 2009 in registering knockouts over Dionisio Miranda and Antwun Echols. He definitely has a punchers chance to defeat Sylvester.

“There has been a lot of speculation on the ability of WBA#1 middleweight Gennady Golovkin (18-0,15KO’s) who was an outstanding amateur but in my opinion has not boxed any name opponents as a professional. His knockout win over IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute as an amatuer is a outstanding victory. He also holds amateur win over Daniel Geale but we will be happy to fight him – especially if he wins the WBA title. The professional ranks are much different.”

Treacy has a nationally televised Main Event Foxtel Pay-Per-View promotion scheduled for June 2nd at the Wollongong Entertainment Center, Wollongong, NSW, Australia in 2010 and they will feature the cream of the crop from Australia. In what should be outstanding promotion – Daniel Geale, Robert Medley, Billy Dib, Garth Wood, Shannan Taylor, Nader Hamdan, Junior Talipeau will be in action on this show.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044
Default Re: Geale v Macklin in Sydney - August

Excellent news.

Geale will clean out the MW division.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

vCash: 700

great stuff.i remember this fight being discussed at the start of the year.good to see it come to fruition.is he still fighting Kariuki?
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Thats great news....looking forward to this fight.

Sylvester beats Karmazin as hes on old legs now and ripe for the picking

I like Geales chances against Sylvester
ashley is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Great news. Bringing class fighters like these to our shores is much needed.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
Great news. Bringing class fighters like these to our shores is much needed.
Ditto
Old 05-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
great stuff.i remember this fight being discussed at the start of the year.good to see it come to fruition.is he still fighting Kariuki?
It's still on Boxrec, so probably.
I remember reading that was his aim, a fight in June and again in August.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
I hope so...beating Kariz then Macklin will be great for Dan

Also its a good hard fight before the big test in AUG.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
I hope so...beating Kariz then Macklin will be great for Dan

Also its a good hard fight before the big test in AUG.
will be great if he can do it.be good to see him active.Kariz should be a sterner test than the fight he had before Mundine so we will see a fully battle hardened Geale taking on Macklin.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
It's still on Boxrec, so probably.
I remember reading that was his aim, a fight in June and again in August.
good
Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Yep i believe Ricky is going to try and get a few more Poms fighting in Oz and vice versa.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beaver View Post
Yep i believe Ricky is going to try and get a few more Poms fighting in Oz and vice versa.
Hopefully in the process, it'll revive the previously in demand to Australians, Commonwealth title belts.

It's a real shame that Aussies don't contest them any more, though it looked like Dom Vea was going to.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Looks like someone's got Geale's bout after Kariz wrong! I'm backing Ray Wheatley to be the one who's right, but here's another take on things:

Geale set for a stoush with Sylvester

Tasmania Examiner
BY SHELLEY SPENCER
11 May, 2010

LAUNCESTON boxing hero Daniel Geale is expected to announce today he has secured a bout against highly regarded German middleweight Sebastian Sylvester.

Known as the "Hurrikan" the 29-year-old has an impressive record of 33 wins (16 KO) and three losses.

Geale has been keen to fight an opponent of this calibre since losing his IBO world middleweight title to Anthony Mundine in a controversial splits points decision this time last year.

After appealing against the decision, Geale won and "The Man" was ordered to fight a rematch, but instead vacated the title.

Since then Geale and Mundine have eyed match-ups against highly regarded international opponents rather than each other.

The Real Deal's fight against contender series finalist Kenyan Kariz Kariuki next month is set to be a warm-up for the fight of his life against Sylvester.

If Geale was to beat a fighter of Sylvester's calibre, it would be tempting for Mundine to schedule the highly anticipated rematch between the best two middleweight boxers in Australia.

Mundine admitted to The Examiner on April 8 that if Geale beat an opponent of Kelly Pavlik's calibre he would be looking for a rematch.

Sylvester is rated in the top 10 middleweight fighters in the world on points, along with Pavlik, Felix Sturm, Sergio Martinez, Mundine and Geale.

Although Sylvester, who is 172 centimetres, has only lost three times, he was knocked out twice, which may give Geale something to think about as he is an impressive counter-puncher.

The Real Deal's official record stands at 22 wins (13 KO) and one loss but he has never been professionally knocked out.

Geale has been training hard in Sydney for his fight against Kariuki at the Wollongong entertainment centre on June 2 and is said to be stoked after learning about his match-up against Sylvester.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #14
Rodin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Hopefully in the process, it'll revive the previously in demand to Australians, Commonwealth title belts.

It's a real shame that Aussies don't contest them any more, though it looked like Dom Vea was going to.
Hear hear!!!!

In a world of the mayhem & bullshit that is World championship boxing, the Commonwealth (ex British empire) titles are the last bastion of true competition.
Commonwealth Champs were once the "Great clique",, so reading that Hatton & Treacy are working on it again, makes this old bloke very bloody happy I can tell you.
Rodin is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Great....I would love to see Dan fight Sylvester right after Kariz.....lets see Dan pick up the IBF title....I think he can do it
ashley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum