Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
izmat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Dougie Fisher on Khan's chin and sparring

Interesting read:

" Regarding Khanís chin, I donít think itís world-class and I donít think it will ever be. He was dropped by light punchers and smaller older fighters before Prescott caught him with that mean left hook. Iíve seen him wobbled more than once in sparring sessions with heavy handed dudes. However, just because heís not [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in the chin department doesnít mean he wonít have an excellent career. Fortunately, Khan has the physical tools and body dimensions to protect his chin. All he has to do is tuck that chin, work behind that long, fast jab of his and move his feet when necessary. Honestly, the only time Khan gets caught is when he gets too aggressive for his own good.

I think eventually Khanís shaky whiskers will cost him, but not until he faces the truly elite fighters of the 140- and 147-pound divisions. I believe his athletic ability and a stick-and-move style will serve him well against a lot of hard-hitters and fellow talents. And when it comes time for him to stand his ground and scrap, I think heíll surprise a lot of fans. From what Iíve seen at the Wild Card, Khanís got a lionís heart. It doesnít always serve him. Iíve seen him rocked by Abdulai Amidu while going toe to toe with the hard-punching Ghanaian, but Iíve also seen Amidu wobbled by Khan.

I realize gym wars are not the same thing as a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] fight, so who knows what weíll see when a top-level fighter forces Khan to fight rather than box? But Iím going to give the young man the benefit of the doubt until then."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
izmat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Default Re: Dougie Fisher on Khan's chin and sparring

Can't Argue With Doug.

He will get beaten...just who will be the man to inflict the second loss..when where and how?

He boxed well after nervy opening last night
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

even paulie made khan take notice at times during the early rounds last night, i can see bradley and maidana causing severe problems for him, i doubt very much freddie roach and golden boy are going to set up fights like these in the near future
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

his chin is for sure dodgy but i reckon its definitely better now he has slimmed down his upper body and put more muscle on his legs. if you see his back and lats pre prescott, it was ****in huge, his balance was often poor and couldnt handle shots as well
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Yobbie
Full-Time Fighter

vCash: 269

Khan's always had this fragility about him. An agressive half decent puncher will stop Khan with little persuasion IMO and there's plenty of them at lww and ww. I don't think Amir can be a dominant world champ or unify the division. His success will be limited.
Yobbie is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
SiccSense
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

He could unify the division, if he faces the winner of Alexander-Bradley, not out of the question that he could win.
SiccSense is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
gallardo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Khan may not have the best chin in the world and may certainly have been dropped in sparring by "heavy handed" partners. But, I don't think Roach would have kept him on OR gone on record as saying he'll go onto unify belts if his chin is as bad as the chinmyster's say.

Time will tell. I think a fight with Maidaina will shut a lot of people up.
gallardo is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

Maidana isn't the acid test but it would be a start. I think he can beat him and beat him well but he will run like a dog when Maidana gets close.

The Acid Test Is Bradley. Decent Power, Tactically astute, Physically On Par, Will to Win, Undefeated, Fast Hungry Fighter With Ring IQ that is Higher. Someone who can box a bit with Khan then Lay The Heat On Him.

Bradley whoops his arse silly IMO.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
cheekyvid
Detroit, I shall return.
ESB Addict

vCash: 4289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandanda View Post
Maidana isn't the acid test but it would be a start. I think he can beat him and beat him well but he will run like a dog when Maidana gets close.

The Acid Test Is Bradley. Decent Power, Tactically astute, Physically On Par, Will to Win, Undefeated, Fast Hungry Fighter With Ring IQ that is Higher. Someone who can box a bit with Khan then Lay The Heat On Him.

Bradley whoops his arse silly IMO.
bradley has had nothing easy in his career, he is one tough little ****er, no way khan beats him in the forseeable future
cheekyvid is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I think Khan might be in trouble with Alexander but i think he would outbox Bradley,i think he would be far too quick,Khan is very underrated,if he had an iron chin he would never lose,his chin will probably let him down at some point in the future but Terry Norris had an excellent career with a shit chin..,not saying that Khan is as good as terry though..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Bradley does beat him, but then what - we're saying there is exactly one person in the entire divison favoured to beat him, and a couple others we think we'd make 50-50?

That's still pretty bloody rare circles to be moving in. Especially when it seemed done and dusted less than two years ago.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
awas88
The King
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmat View Post
Interesting read:

" Regarding Khanís chin, I donít think itís world-class and I donít think it will ever be. He was dropped by light punchers and smaller older fighters before Prescott caught him with that mean left hook. Iíve seen him wobbled more than once in sparring sessions with heavy handed dudes. However, just because heís not [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in the chin department doesnít mean he wonít have an excellent career. Fortunately, Khan has the physical tools and body dimensions to protect his chin. All he has to do is tuck that chin, work behind that long, fast jab of his and move his feet when necessary. Honestly, the only time Khan gets caught is when he gets too aggressive for his own good.

I think eventually Khanís shaky whiskers will cost him, but not until he faces the truly elite fighters of the 140- and 147-pound divisions. I believe his athletic ability and a stick-and-move style will serve him well against a lot of hard-hitters and fellow talents. And when it comes time for him to stand his ground and scrap, I think heíll surprise a lot of fans. From what Iíve seen at the Wild Card, Khanís got a lionís heart. It doesnít always serve him. Iíve seen him rocked by Abdulai Amidu while going toe to toe with the hard-punching Ghanaian, but Iíve also seen Amidu wobbled by Khan.

I realize gym wars are not the same thing as a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] fight, so who knows what weíll see when a top-level fighter forces Khan to fight rather than box? But Iím going to give the young man the benefit of the doubt until then."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I posted this on the scene, nicking my thread aye
awas88 is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
izmat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awas88 View Post
I posted this on the scene, nicking my thread aye

izmat is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
awas88
The King
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmat View Post
It is intersting though. One thing Ive noticed is that the boxing writers in america who do rate khan highly, only do so based on seeing him personally at the wild card or hearing reports from other journalists who have. Otherwise, most others who have only seen some of his fights think hes the usual hypejob and are very sceptical.
awas88 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum