Louis.... KO 39 82.98%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
lefthandlead
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Joe Louis vs Joe Calzaghe?

This would be a superfight at the Polo grounds!!!

Louis struggled with Conn's boxing.

Calzaghe is way faster that Louis and Conn.
Calzaghe's work rate and iron chin is a tough combo for Louis to overcome.
While Louis's power and size might be too much for Calzaghe.

If it's 12 rounds, I'll take a Calzaghe dec victory, based on blazing speed and work rate.
If it's 15, Louis is dangerous and has more time to catch him with a big punch, but the thing is Calzaghe doesn't get tried!

Who do you guys got?
lefthandlead is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Default Re: Joe Louis vs Joe Calzaghe?

Louis by KO, early and brutal
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 191

Conn had skills Calzaghe would lust over and a chin of titanium. .

Joe fought straight on and was and was a sucker for a right hand.

Louis dismantles him one sided.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Serious threads only please.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Vinegar Hill
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I despair sometimes on here, I really do.
Vinegar Hill is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
I Know Everythi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

43 year old Hopkins beat Calzaghe clearly only to get robbed so Joe Louis beating Calzaghe would be less than a fight
I Know Everythi is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Calzaghe, by late-round stoppage. Louis couldn't deal with Italian-style pressure fighters, as evidenced by the Marciano beat-down. Calzaghe being a little lighter than Marciano (not much) and having a few fewer knockouts (not too many fewer) would probably see him take it a little later than Marciano, but, overall, if they fought now, I'd have to go with Calzaghe by late-round stoppage.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Serious threads only please.
Joe Louis vs Calzaghe. This, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar Hill View Post
I'm totally with you on that, this, why?
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Calzaghe, by late-round stoppage. Louis couldn't deal with Italian-style pressure fighters, as evidenced by the Marciano beat-down. Calzaghe being a little lighter than Marciano (not much) and having a few fewer knockouts (not too many fewer) would probably see him take it a little later than Marciano, but, overall, if they fought now, I'd have to go with Calzaghe by late-round stoppage.
If they fought now I would bet all my money on Joe.
LittleRed is online now  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
jas
★ Legends: B-HOP ; PAC ★
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i accidentally clicked louis ko......
jas is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

The pride of Wales would prevail in most exuberant fashion. His lightening fast hands and footwork would befuddle Louis, making Billy Conn seem like a dump drunk stuck in wet mud. And when Joe attempts to throw one of his lethal combination, The Italian Dragon catches him scare on the chin with a one-two combo sending Louis between the ropes and into the stands..

Joe Louis - " you can run but you can't hide"

Joe Calzaghe - " Its you who may want to try hiding Joe. "
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
lefthandlead
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Have you even seen a match after 1965..

Calzaghe is the truth. Louis was small for a heavyweight. He is only 2 in taller, maybe 20 lbs heavier nothing crazy.

BTW Calzaghe is no bum, which was more than half of Louis title fights
Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
lefthandlead
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Conn had skills Calzaghe would lust over and a chin of titanium. .

Joe fought straight on and was and was a sucker for a right hand.

Louis dismantles him one sided.
Conn was slower than pond water compared to Calzaghe.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
The pride of Wales would prevail in most exuberant fashion. His lightening fast hands and footwork would befuddle Louis, making Billy Conn seem like a dump drunk stuck in wet mud. And when Joe attempts to throw one of his lethal combination, The Italian Dragon catches him scare on the chin with a one-two combo sending Louis between the ropes and into the stands..

Joe Louis - " you can run but you can't hide"

Joe Calzaghe - " Its you who may want to try hiding Joe. "
Dude what are you smoking? Calzaghe was not and is not a heavyweight. Some of the bums Louis fought hit harder than Calzaghe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Couldn't deal with Italian-styled pressure fighters, Louis? How many Italian-styled pressure fighters did Joe Louis actually fight and if many how close did any of them, like the 6'7 Primo Canero, come to actually beating him? I would imagine not a lot because 25 out of 25 successful defenses of the World Heavyweight Championship alone speaks in high volumes, bum of the month tour or no bum of the month tour, and 25/25 successful defenses of any world title in any to all weight classes still remains the record to beat at this time. And also last I checked, besides the first Billy Conn fight, the person that actually came closest to beating Joe Louis and actually did beat him in their first encounter and albeit it was a few shades past Joe's prime was Jersey Joe Walcott who lost a hotly disputed 15-round split decision to "The Brown Bomber" but was then granted an immediate rematch by the ATG Joe and was fighting an almost evenly scored fight with Louis before Walcott got cute with his showboating, got caught and put away immediately, in the 6th round I believe it was in, which then all but concluded Joe's reign as Champion as he would retire as.

Secondly, you make it sound like Louis was in his prime instead of well past his prime when he fought and yes received that dramatic beatdown at the hands of the young Rocky Marciano, a fight that the "Brockton Blockbuster" admitted and revealed he did not want to take, as he idolized Joe Louis. Truth be told had Marciano(prime, and as great a fighter as he was) and a primed Louis fought you almost would've never heard of Marciano or his road to the championship would've been vastly delayed because "Rock's" style was taylor made for Louis and Joe would've picked him apart by a mid to late rounds tko victory.

And last, as far as Joe Calzaghe goes. I'm happy to see him going into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota later this year, right along with Oscar De Lahoya and Felix Trinidad, because going out as an undefeated professional fighter with 2-division World Titles, Undisputed/Ring Magazine World SuperMiddleweight Champion(21-defenses in total) and the Ring Magazine World Lightheavyweight Champion(1-defense as headliner for PPV at Madison Square Garden), is nothing to scoff about or sneeze at. But by the same token why would anyone within reason put him in the same ring in a dream fight with a top-5 atg such as Joe Louis when simply put Calzaghe only had two fights at Lightheavyweight. A close split decision win against Bernard Hopkins in a fight that could've gone either way and a decisive 12-round unanimous decision over a past his prime Roy Jones Jr., but couldn't knock down or put away. And remember both guys had Calzaghe down in the very first round of their respective fights against him.

So can anyone honestly think that Joe Louis upon possibly dropping Joe Calzaghe in the first round or two in a heavyweight fight that he couldn't or wouldn't adjust to Calzaghe's style and do to him what he did in both rematch encounters with Conn and Walcott?

Louis by knockout in 9th or 10th round after cutting off Calzghe's mobility to move around the ring and wears him down.
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #15
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
Yeah I'm debating if this will be my last post. This would make the all time worst thread list.
kmac is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum