Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #151
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 685
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

here is an excellent preview of Fitzsimmons maher which has some great info on fitz early fights and shows that some we dont remember are better than we thought. Like arthur Upham who was good enough to go to england for a shot at the English title.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #152
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Robert Edgren: "Fitzsimmons was the craftiest of all fighters. I asked Kid McCoy crafty as a fox himself why he never fought Fitzsimmons. "Because that old guy knows too much." said McCoy. "I can measure any other man's mind and tell what he's likely to do next, but when you think you know every move old Fitz can make he pulls out something new that you never thought of."
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #153
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 685
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Well here is one of Bob's unrecorded fights.

It seems that he fought Jim (Jack) Burke was in fact a good experienced heavyweight fighter. He actually fought Paddy Slavin twice according to the above report and went into the first fight as favourite and while losing this one due to a hand injury he appeared to possibly get the nod. Slavin was a genuine top 5 fighter in the World, although i am guessing that he was a little green when the fight took place. Burke also has recorded wins or draws over Charley Mitchell, Alf Greenfield and Captain James Dalton, who are all World Title Challengers as well as draws with World Champions Jim Corbett, the Non Pareil Jack Dempsey, Peter Jackson and Larry Foley. Notice that there are no claims of a win or draw against fitzsimmons and, given that it would ahve been huge news, we can only assume that Fitzsimmons was the victor. Burke did get KO d though, by John L Sullivan. Let us not forget that when this fight took place (and it is not clear exactly when it happened) Fitzsimmons would have been anywhere from a lightweight to a Welterweight(or perhaps slightly over the limit), given that he was campaining as a middleweight at a time when the division was only 150 lbs and not the 160 lbs it had become by the time Greb had his big run as a middleweight/Light Heavy/Heavy.

As usual, Fitzsimmons continues to astound me.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #154
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Well here is one of Bob's unrecorded fights.

It seems that he fought Jim (Jack) Burke was in fact a good experienced heavyweight fighter. He actually fought Paddy Slavin twice according to the above report and went into the first fight as favourite and while losing this one due to a hand injury he appeared to possibly get the nod. Slavin was a genuine top 5 fighter in the World, although i am guessing that he was a little green when the fight took place. Burke also has recorded wins or draws over Charley Mitchell, Alf Greenfield and Captain James Dalton, who are all World Title Challengers as well as draws with World Champions Jim Corbett, the Non Pareil Jack Dempsey, Peter Jackson and Larry Foley. Notice that there are no claims of a win or draw against fitzsimmons and, given that it would ahve been huge news, we can only assume that Fitzsimmons was the victor. Burke did get KO d though, by John L Sullivan. Let us not forget that when this fight took place (and it is not clear exactly when it happened) Fitzsimmons would have been anywhere from a lightweight to a Welterweight(or perhaps slightly over the limit), given that he was campaining as a middleweight at a time when the division was only 150 lbs and not the 160 lbs it had become by the time Greb had his big run as a middleweight/Light Heavy/Heavy.

As usual, Fitzsimmons continues to astound me.
B, the most convincing article I have read on Fitz's greatness was by the famous American poet and boxing fan Edgar Lee Masters. His article is in "the Book Of Boxing",by Heinz and Ward. Masters saw every HW champion from Fitz to Louis ringside,and called Fitz the best HW champ ever...
For what it's worth...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #155
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Cab driver
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #156
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,276
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
B, the most convincing article I have read on Fitz's greatness was by the famous American poet and boxing fan Edgar Lee Masters. His article is in "the Book Of Boxing",by Heinz and Ward. Masters saw every HW champion from Fitz to Louis ringside,and called Fitz the best HW champ ever...
For what it's worth...
Jack Johnson rated Fitz the best up to, and including Tunney, pretty good reference.

Here is the link page 27?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #157
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 685
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Here is a good read of Bob Fitzsimmons taking out three fighters at the same time! One of them was a former Jem Mace opponent.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #158
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 85
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Yeah, the only footage of him is when he's balding and looks a bit soft around the edges lol.

Was very crafty and gets overlooked by many(VERY early times and pretty sure most casual fans never heard of him) but he probably was the first PFP fighter, definitely top 5-10 all time. I think he has a book but I would get it if so, guy was a genius in the ring. More you learn of him the higher your appreciation of him is.
techks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #159
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 330
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

I still stand by what I said when I first posted in this thread. No boxer achieved as much as he did imo.

Greb has the greatest resume imo and robinson is the most skilled but fitz achieved the most.

These 3 are my choices for goat.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #160
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,298
vCash: 118
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

What exactly was Fitz secret to punching as hard as he did?

Smaller gloves?

Pin point accuracy?
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #161
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,276
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
B, the most convincing article I have read on Fitz's greatness was by the famous American poet and boxing fan Edgar Lee Masters. His article is in "the Book Of Boxing",by Heinz and Ward. Masters saw every HW champion from Fitz to Louis ringside,and called Fitz the best HW champ ever...
For what it's worth...

Excellent book B.B.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #162
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 685
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Here is another quick one, which i am sure that many will not know.

As the world middleweight champion, Fitzsimmons fought the World Coloured middlweight champion a four rounder. Technically a unification bout i suppose. Although Fitzsimmons didnt get the KO, it seems that he was the comfortable winner of the bout. Certainly a better win than the Black Pearl ND4 on the record indicates.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #163
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 929
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

In Pollack's 'In the ring ... Fitzsimmons', there are a couple references to the power Fitzsimmons could get into a blow without outwardly seeming to exert himself. Probably analogous to the great pitcher Walter Johnson, who'd throw the ball past people while looking like he was just playing catch.
guilalah is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #164
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #165
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,117
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
What exactly was Fitz secret to punching as hard as he did?

Smaller gloves?

Pin point accuracy?
Athleticism and Craftiness.

By all accounts, results and the little film available, he seems to be an extremely explosive, fast-twitch sort of athlete, but also relaxed and loose-jointed, just a natural puncher.

And he knew how to set traps and time his shots. Johnson remarked that Fitz was the craftiest of his opponents. And one would have to assume that this skill is what allowed him the longevity of his career.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013