Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Dece Bal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Ionut Dan Ion vs Selcuk Aydin on 5 June in Instanbul

Ion is probably the most technical fighter Aydin will have faced, but I can't see this fight going longer than 9 rounds. Ion's just not tough enough, he doesn't have enough power, he doesn't have a good jab and he still makes a lot of mistakes. Should still be a fairly entertaining, decent B- level fight for as long as it lasts. Good style match-up, at least.
Dece Bal is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000
Default Re: Selcuk Aydin vs Ionut Dan Ion on 5 June in Instanbul

I made a thread here on Jo Jo Dan a while back, and nobody seemed confident that he could get it done at the world class level. Aydin's certainly proven to be world class with his last few wins, but is he a world beater?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Dece Bal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I made a thread here on Jo Jo Dan a while back, and nobody seemed confident that he could get it done at the world class level. Aydin's certainly proven to be world class with his last few wins, but is he a world beater?
I've followed Jo Jo Dan's career and the reality is that he is never going to be more than a B- level fighter. Aydin looks good enough to be world class, but frankly, he hasn't had the chance to prove it, given the quality of his opposition. I think Jo Jo Dan will make Aydin look better than he really is, a bit like Diaconu vs. Hoye, for example.
Dece Bal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Isn't Jo Jo Dan usually a LWW anyway? Aydin alreadsy beat Ouali, who seems pretty similar to Dan from what I've seen of Dan. I'm not convinced that Aydin and his tiny t-rex arms amount to much, but he should probably win this one.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Dece Bal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
Isn't Jo Jo Dan usually a LWW anyway? Aydin alreadsy beat Ouali, who seems pretty similar to Dan from what I've seen of Dan. I'm not convinced that Aydin and his tiny t-rex arms amount to much, but he should probably win this one.
Yeah, Dan doesn't even have C+ power at LWW. At WW, he will have nothing to keep Aydin from ploughing through him. On the inside, Dan is poor... really poor.

My prediction is Aydin T/KO 5.
Dece Bal is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
truushot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 6123

bump.
truushot is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Dece Bal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by truushot View Post
bump.
I find it a bit disconcerting and worrying that there are very few mentions of this fight in the Romanian press. Usually, when Romanian fighters fight, even in small-time fights, there's quite a bit of press coverage, interviews, etc. This has been the case for Ion as well. Now, this time he's not fighting in Romania, so there's no reason why they would build up the fight there, but you would at least expect a few interviews/training reports. After all, this is by far the biggest fight of his career. Also, you'd expect Bute, Diaconu, Doroftei et al to pitch in about this fight.... but no.... there's nothing.

I hope they're not trying to sweep this fight under the carpet because they all (including Ion) think he's got no chance of winning, although the signs all do point in this direction.

Meanwhile, Aydin is training like a champ for this fight and he's taking it very seriously - there's quite a bit of publicity in Turkey as well - although they're only building it as a step-on-the-way type fight (which it is, if he's gonna be a champ one day, which he probably will be).

If Ion is just taking this fight for a check, that would be very disappointing.
Dece Bal is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Aydin had a lot of trouble with Quali, i think Aydin will be outboxed sooner or later don't think Dan will be the guy to do it though. Also Dece bal didn't Olusegun Vs Dan go like that as well, absolutely no coverage from the Romanian press then the fight got called off a few days before it was supposed to happen? Could be another one of them on the way.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Wasnt Aydin originally scheduled to face Luis Collazo? What happened? so instead heŽll face some commonly unknown opponent for some crappy wbc silver belt. It looks like Aydin is on the road to nowhere.
Escopeta is online now  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escopeta View Post
Wasnt Aydin originally scheduled to face Luis Collazo? What happened? so instead heŽll face some commonly unknown opponent for some crappy wbc silver belt. It looks like Aydin is on the road to nowhere.
Collazo pulled out with a bs excuse.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Dece Bal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Not sure whether you meant that Ion was that commonly unknown crappy opponent, but if you did, you're wrong. Ion is good enough to be fighting an eliminator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
Aydin had a lot of trouble with Quali, i think Aydin will be outboxed sooner or later don't think Dan will be the guy to do it though. Also Dece bal didn't Olusegun Vs Dan go like that as well, absolutely no coverage from the Romanian press then the fight got called off a few days before it was supposed to happen? Could be another one of them on the way.
No. Olusegun was mentioned as the likely opponent for Ion in the Romanian press, but the fight was never signed and no date was mentioned either.

Whereas this fight is going to happen - tickets are being sold for it as we speak and it's being advertised in Turkey, on national TV.

Also, Ion's Romanian promoter is advertising this fight on youtube.

Only reason this fight is not happening is if one of the fighters gets injured...

....Aydin looks miles better than Olusegun and would certainly be a much tougher opponent for Ion or anyone else...

Last edited by Dece Bal; 05-31-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Dece Bal is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Escopeta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dece Bal View Post
Not sure whether you meant that Ion was that crappy opponent, but if you did, you're wrong. Ion is good enough to be fighting an eliminator.
i dont know him so he must be commonly unknown
didnt say anything about how good that JoJo guy is since i dont even know him only the belt they are fighting is crap by any means.
doubt Aydin will get much credit for beating the Romanian and being the wbc silver champ..
Collazo would have been some different story even if he had lost that fight in some style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Collazo pulled out with a bs excuse.
What a pity i was looking forward to that fight..
Escopeta is online now  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
Dece Bal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
i dont know him so he must be commonly unknown
didnt say anything about how good that JoJo guy is since i dont even know him only the belt they are fighting is crap by any means.
doubt Aydin will get much credit for beating the Romanian and being the wbc silver champ..
Collazo would have been some different story even if he had lost that fight in some style..

Yeah, Ion is only known by truly hard-core boxing fans whereas you do a very good impression of a newb.

Whether the belt they're fighting for is crap or not is irrelevant. What matters is the quality of the match-up, and this match-up is of a good quality. It's certainly worthy of a title eliminator/interim title shot, given the quality of similar such fights these days.

How much credit Aydin gets for beating Ion depends on the level of their performance on the night, nothing more, nothing less.

With or without a name/credible opponent, if Aydin wins his next fight, he will at least get a title shot, so that has to be a good thing for his career.
Dece Bal is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dece Bal View Post
Not sure whether you meant that Ion was that commonly unknown crappy opponent, but if you did, you're wrong. Ion is good enough to be fighting an eliminator.

No. Olusegun was mentioned as the likely opponent for Ion in the Romanian press, but the fight was never signed and no date was mentioned either.

Whereas this fight is going to happen - tickets are being sold for it as we speak and it's being advertised in Turkey, on national TV.

Also, Ion's Romanian promoter is advertising this fight on youtube.

Only reason this fight is not happening is if one of the fighters gets injured...

....Aydin looks miles better than Olusegun and would certainly be a much tougher opponent for Ion or anyone else...
There's a guy on the Brit forum close to Ajose who seemed to think it was on right up until the week of the fight, might have to look back to make sure.

Yeah Aydin is a much tougher opponent, it's going to take something special from dan to win this. I can't see it happening though.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Me too, 50/50 type fight with two good, sympathic fighters. Collazo probably thought the money wasnŽt good enough to risk getting robbed in Turkey. DonŽt forget the promoter who is organizing this.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum