Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
skel1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Winky aint fighting Macklin.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: WINKY WRIGHT
By G. Leon

GL: Since our last interview Boxingtalk put a paragraph out detailing your expected retirement. What can you tell us about this? "I'm just tired of not getting the fights that I want to get. I guess the politics of boxing have me sick. I guess they feel instead of giving people who paved the way the opportunity to do what they gotta do, they want to bring out the young kids. I guess it's just time to move out the way. If I can't get the right fights, I'm going to move out the way."

GL: What's the right fight?

Winky Wright: "A meaningful fight. I want to fight. I don't want to pad my record and get victories, just beating somebody to beat somebody. If I'm going to lose, I'm going to fight somebody whose worth losing to and I want to beat somebody worth beating."

GL: Is that the mentality that lead to the 22 months off following the Hopkins fight?

WW: "Naw, that wasn't the mentality then. After fighting Hopkins I couldn't get no fights. None at all. Then Williams came up and if I didn't fight him it looked like I was going to be off for another twenty months so we took that fight. That's how it is."

GL: After you looked horrible against Williams coming off such a long layoff, wouldn't it be in your best interest to get in the ring and stay busy before a big fight presented itself?

WW: "It would and it wouldn't. I'm getting at an age where I don't want to be in the ring fighting for nothing. Even the Williams fight, in my mind that meant nothing to me either. I didn't know who he had fought and I only seen him once. I thought he was a young tall kid who ain't fight nobody and I took him lightly and I shouldn't have done that."

GL: What are the chances that you're done?

WW: "If I can get a meaningful fight before the end of the year then I'm going to fight. If not, then I'm walking away and calling it quits. The end of the year is my deadline."

GL: And you're currently available to fight at what weight?

WW: "160 trying to get to 154."

GL: Closing thoughts from the soon to be retired?

WW: "I appreciate all my fans always supporting me. Keep supporting me. If they give me a fight that means something I will be back and I will be going out on top."

I said Winky will only fight meaningful fights, he will never fight Macklin in a million years,
skel1983 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Winky aint fighting Macklin.

Story of Winky's career (later stages) i suppose , hanging in there by hook or by crook for that big fight !!!!

Id like to see him fight Margo and then go out , it would be good if he could make 54 again !!!!!
thewinfella is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum