Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Kevin Mitchell's future

Right first off let me start by saying congratulations to Michael Katsidis, he is truly a very good aggressive fighter, and an even better all round bloke which was shown by the way he conducted himself in his interview after the fight.

As for Kevin Mitchell. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this kid will be back and will be challenging the best LW’s in the world in the near future. I was there Saturday and I think the situation got the better of him more than anything. I feel he wanted to impress to much and let his heart rule his head. Most people on ESB has already written him off, calling him glass chinned. This, I think its unbelievable! True this was a huge step up in class for him, but he was arguably fighting the hardest puncher in the division!

When the fight was made I believed Kevin would come out on top. I believed he could box the socks off Katsidis like he did Prescott. After watching his interviews with Sky Sports in the run up to the fight, my mind changed. He was talking about have a ‘good old tear up’ with Katsidis, something which no-one should do IMO. After the fight he said he cut corners in training, almost taking it too easy in the build up. Frank ****** was very pissed off with him after and understandably so.

But I feel this will be a huge wake up call to him. He will now realise that he cannot take anyone lightly in this game. I honestly believe this defeat will make him hungrier in the future, making him focus on becoming a world champion, something which I think he will be in two years time. I actually think he could take a leaf out of Amir Kahn’s book, and use the defeat in a positive way.
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765
Default Re: Kevin Mitchell's future

If the rumours of poor training habits are true, he truly is at a crossroads.

Saturday night showed he is not world class under his current regime.

Maybe he has not got the ability to make the sacrifices required to have a shot at being world class, thus he probably should call it quits.

If he recognizes his errors and is prepared to make the changes needed, he has the right team behind him to give him a fair crack at becoming world class.

I guess it is his choice...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Its a good thread mate

Clearly your a big fan , i love the kid , and i would travel the length of the country to watch him (couldnt make Saturday as i work abroad) but i think your being a little generous to the lad if im honest , i think there is a big ??? over Kevin's " world class " credentials now , i really do , if he didnt prepare properly thats his bad , his wake up call should not of been getting stopped in the 3rd round in London in the biggest fight of his career by far , in what should of been a competetive fight , his wake up call should of been Carl Johansen , thats all the wake up call he needed , in summary of this fight i would say it was a world class fighter fighting an opponent who was not on his level ........................... sorry mate thats how i see it .

I really hope Mitchell did cut corners , and i really hope he makes it back to at least this platform (world title challanger level) again because i like the lad , but im sorry that isnt washing with me , 6 weeks before the fight he was calling this his " Kostya Tszyu " fight , now he wasnt prepared , im just not buying it .

Kevin i hope you prove me wrong mate
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Sorry brother but I personally don't think he cuts it at world level. Maybe at the border but I see European at best.

Hope I'm wrong though.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post

Maybe he has not got the ability to make the sacrifices required to have a shot at being world class, thus he probably should call it quits.

If he recognizes his errors and is prepared to make the changes needed, he has the right team behind him to give him a fair crack at becoming world class.

I agree it is his choice. I was absolutely shocked when i heard he was cutting corners in training. I would never expect that from him. I no he had problems when he was a kid, but he should have matured by now.

He pretty much has all the credentials needed to be a world beater, spit in his punches, a good chin (regardless of what people might believe on here) and relatively good boxing skills. Shame we didnt see much of them attributes on Saturday
Old 05-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post

Ive heard it was Jimmy Tibb's who identified the fact Mitchell was cutting corners , speak to any pro you know Jimmy Tibb's is very highly reguarded i dont think the blame should lie with his camp !!!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Lets start by establishing the most important thing here... both Kevin Mitchell and Michael Katsidis are good ambassadors for the sport. Except for one moment, when Katsidis told Mitchell to "stop talking shit", they conducted themselves very well throughout the build-up and post-fight as well.

However, we have to be realistic about their boxing abilities. Kevin Mitchell is simply not good enough to beat Michael Katsidis. Not on Saturday, not after a better camp (though I'm not sure how much of that is an excuse) and not at any time within the next 5 years before Katsidis becomes shot. His, Mitchell, future lies at European level. Any thoughts that Kevin Mitchell will fight and stay around world-level after Saturday shouldn't be allowed to enter his head or those around him.

Last week, I'm sure some of you will remember, we had a thread dedicated to mis-matches through the years. In a few years time we will look back to Saturday night in amazement that Kevin Mitchell was even allowed anywhere near Michael Katsidis. That's how far he is from being at that level.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

the rumours of poor training habbits are slightly off the mark.

He has been having problems at home which got in the way. For his next big fights he should be doing training camps in abroard, I know he has been to tenerife before for training.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Its a good thread mate

Clearly your a big fan , i love the kid , and i would travel the length of the country to watch him (couldnt make Saturday as i work abroad) but i think your being a little generous to the lad if im honest , i think there is a big ??? over Kevin's " world class " credentials now , i really do , if he didnt prepare properly thats his bad , his wake up call should not of been getting stopped in the 3rd round in London in the biggest fight of his career by far , in what should of been a competetive fight , his wake up call should of been Carl Johansen , thats all the wake up call he needed , in summary of this fight i would say it was a world class fighter fighting an opponent who was not on his level ........................... sorry mate thats how i see it .

I really hope Mitchell did cut corners , and i really hope he makes it back to at least this platform (world title challanger level) again because i like the lad , but im sorry that isnt washing with me , 6 weeks before the fight he was calling this his " Kostya Tszyu " fight , now he wasnt prepared , im just not buying it .

Kevin i hope you prove me wrong mate
Thats actually spot on! he should not have been cutting corners before the biggest fight of his life, its really as simple as that.

Although im not sure if you can judge his world class credentials after 9 minuites of boxing. Lets not forget, Amir Kahn was KO'ed in 50 seconds to the man Mitchell pretty much schooled over 12 rounds. True Katisidis is in another (world class) league to Presscot, but i think that fight showed us that he can mix it with the big boys. Something which he really didnt show on saturday IMO
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
Thats actually spot on! he should not have been cutting corners before the biggest fight of his life, its really as simple as that.

Although im not sure if you can judge his world class credentials after 9 minuites of boxing. Lets not forget, Amir Kahn was KO'ed in 50 seconds to the man Mitchell pretty much schooled over 12 rounds. True Katisidis is in another (world class) league to Presscot, but i think that fight showed us that he can mix it with the big boys. Something which he really didnt show on saturday IMO
Correct !!!!!!

The jury is out for me mate , im a realist i like evidence , and a Prescott UD is just not enough for me at the mo !!!! i hope he gets his family problems behind him and gets back to where he was pre Katsidis !!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Quote:
Although im not sure if you can judge his world class credentials after 9 minuites of boxing. Lets not forget, Amir Kahn was KO'ed in 50 seconds to the man Mitchell pretty much schooled over 12 rounds.

The big difference is that Khan was almost killing himself to make weight and was so dehydrated that he would have gone down to almost any guy that night. Also, his career is now in the hands of Freddie Roach which makes a big difference.

I have never been completely impressed with Mitchell's performance against Prescott. Prescott had been out-boxed just a fight or two before so the blueprint on how to beat him was known. Also, for the record, I don't think Mitchell beat him as comfortably as the guy before did.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Lets start by establishing the most important thing here... both Kevin Mitchell and Michael Katsidis are good ambassadors for the sport. Except for one moment, when Katsidis told Mitchell to "stop talking shit", they conducted themselves very well throughout the build-up and post-fight as well.

However, we have to be realistic about their boxing abilities. Kevin Mitchell is simply not good enough to beat Michael Katsidis. Not on Saturday, not after a better camp (though I'm not sure how much of that is an excuse) and not at any time within the next 5 years before Katsidis becomes shot. His, Mitchell, future lies at European level. Any thoughts that Kevin Mitchell will fight and stay around world-level after Saturday shouldn't be allowed to enter his head or those around him.

Last week, I'm sure some of you will remember, we had a thread dedicated to mis-matches through the years. In a few years time we will look back to Saturday night in amazement that Kevin Mitchell was even allowed anywhere near Michael Katsidis. That's how far he is from being at that level.
I think thats a little harsh. Mitchell has the ability I believe but he was exposed by his level of opposition. It happens with Franks fighters. I think we really need to start matching guys harder from the 10th fight really. I mean you look over Kevins record and it seems like he has been treading water for far too long. He really should have been in against some tougher guys. The Prescott fight flattered him because really how good is Prescott?

I think this will serve as a wake up. He needs a couple confidence builders and then lets get him in with John Murray. We need to start seeing these guys better matched.

On the matchmaking front, My God it was bad the other night. Total mis-matches in a lot of the fights.
Will is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
NSFW
ESB interacial lovin...
ESB Addict

vCash: 2266

Mitchell will probably disappear to obscurity.
NSFW is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Quote:

Not to burst your bubble or anything but Katsidis got beaten by Juan Diaz who got completely schooled by Malignaggi and is a light hitter. Katsidis was arguably fresher then aswell.

He's getting on and it didn't really prove if he can hang in there with the 'big boys'. You can win every round, but in the end a win is all that really counts to be honest. Sorry bud.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
avidlemon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Not to burst your bubble or anything but Katsidis got beaten by Juan Diaz who got completely schooled by Malignaggi and is a light hitter. Katsidis was arguably fresher then aswell.

He's getting on and it didn't really prove if he can hang in there with the 'big boys'. You can win every round, but in the end a win is all that really counts to be honest. Sorry bud.

that argument hardly ever stands up though. A beat B so he should beat C. It doesn't work like that.
avidlemon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum