Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Someone please tell me why losing one fight is so bad?

We complain that promoters match fighters cautiously yet we are the first ones to write someone off as soon as they lose a fight
ishy is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
but he has found his level no gettin around that hes a good euro fighter maybe fringe world title
Then so has Khan, considering Prescott's even worse than Katsidis. So has Ortiz considering he lost to Maidana, who lost to Kotelnik, who lost to Khan. So has Maidana for losing to Kotelnik, who lost to Khan, who lost to Prescott, who lost to Mitchell, who lost to Katsidis, who lost to Diaz, who lost to Malignaggi, who lost to Khan, who lost to Prescott... etc., etc.,

It just gets out of hand. Mitchell lost to Katsidis because he fought like an inexperienced novice. Do you think he'll ever do that again?

Losses are sometimes the best thing that can happen to a fighter, especially when it happens at a younger age, pre-prime, where their style can still change.

It's not like Katsidis is a bum, he's a nightmare for everyone he faces. He got beaten by Casamayor and controlled by Diaz. One a sharp counter puncher who was looking for that left hand all night and finally landed the perfect one, and the other a skilled, smart and quick handed pressure-volume puncher who had the tactical nous and physicality to keep Katsidis turning. Who else at lightweight's going to beat him, other than JMM?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingscience View Post
i think mitchell is too good for murray. murray is one fighter i think is overrated. if you put him in with katsidis, the same would of happened.
I totally agree with you that Katsidis would bash Murray up...

I just think that Murray would not allow Mitchell to tee off on him and get a pattern of boxing going...

I think it would be a great contest, very similar to the Johannsen fight... I think Murray would beat him on a SD...
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #19
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

It'd be crazy to put Murray in with Katsidis at this stage in his career. He needs to fight some top ten guys, same as Mitchell should have done.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

We glorify the '0' too much over here now.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

It's funny how one loss kills all the talk about one fighter on the general.

Linares loses one fight and everyone jumps ship same with:

Antillion
Victor Ortiz
Angulo
Ponce De Leon
Rey Bautista
Bernabe Concepcion

The list goes on and on.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
bruthead
REAL TALK
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Before you lose your potential is unlimited. Then it isn't.

Comparing Mitchell to Khan is off in my opinion. Khan's loss showed his one huge weakness but he still had plenty of strengths in his locker. Mitchell's weakness was...just not being good enough. In all departments. That's why the loss is so bad for his rep.
bruthead is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

Time will tell. Wlad Klitschko suffered brutal losses, but has done extraordinarily well considering. But the truth is most fighters don't get over their first loss so well. In Mitchell's favour though, getting stopped early doesn't seem to harm a fighter as much as getting a boxing lesson for most of the fight. His character is most important now
Squire is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
jdawg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

All about who the loss is to, how you lost and most importantly how you come back from it. Learn and make necessary changes to your training, regime or lifestyle or put it as an off day, carry on and look forward to more 'off' days in the future.

I'll be thrown off the forum for this but 1 thing boxing loses out to mma is the crazy pressure put on fighters to stay undefeated. How do we learn and improve in life? Often by making mistakes, just the same in boxing. Make a mistake getting caught, not applying right tactics, poor preparation you run the risk of getting beat. So what ya gonna do next??

Intentionally left out individual cases it applies to everyone. Getting beats not the end of the world simple as
jdawg is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #25
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

It should not matter but these days fighters get a lot of shit for losing more so if its by stoppage or ko.Very few fighters go thier whole career unbeaten so it really should not be made into such a big thing.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #26
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

The sooner modern boxing ditches losing your 0, losing a fight, means, the end of the world - the better.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #27
skel1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It all depends where you loose your 0, this is the first real world class fighter Kev has fought and to loose your 0 and loose it big at the first hurdle of this level, could be very damaging not just for his record but mentally, he might question himself if he really belongs at this level. Kev can come back for sure he is young enough but will he not sure.
skel1983 is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #28
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Then so has Khan, considering Prescott's even worse than Katsidis. So has Ortiz considering he lost to Maidana, who lost to Kotelnik, who lost to Khan. So has Maidana for losing to Kotelnik, who lost to Khan, who lost to Prescott, who lost to Mitchell, who lost to Katsidis, who lost to Diaz, who lost to Malignaggi, who lost to Khan, who lost to Prescott... etc., etc.,

It just gets out of hand. Mitchell lost to Katsidis because he fought like an inexperienced novice. Do you think he'll ever do that again?

Losses are sometimes the best thing that can happen to a fighter, especially when it happens at a younger age, pre-prime, where their style can still change.

It's not like Katsidis is a bum, he's a nightmare for everyone he faces. He got beaten by Casamayor and controlled by Diaz. One a sharp counter puncher who was looking for that left hand all night and finally landed the perfect one, and the other a skilled, smart and quick handed pressure-volume puncher who had the tactical nous and physicality to keep Katsidis turning. Who else at lightweight's going to beat him, other than JMM?

That post is simply beautiful.

An ESB fryer !!!!!

Yes am serious, top post.

Off/On topic....

Heres me sitting im a pjs wondering at all the Euro Level Fighter replys too !!!!!!!!

Euro level as i got stopped by a worldly experienced contender in a weight category thats new to me.

Seriously, Mitchells now Euro level, at this weight, his previous weight ?

Whats he done to garner such a rep ?

Kev Mitchell wonders also and this is by no means a slight on the boy either.

Aye.
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #29
s23041983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

in your own city, in your football teams stadium, infront of 30,000 fans, in the 3rd round by KO.... its bad!! i was surprised at how easily he was hurt. just shows how powerful katsiedis is.
s23041983 is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #30
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by s23041983 View Post
just shows how powerful katsiedis is.
He's can be brawler no doubt, but take the Diaz fight or even the Earl one... lots and lots of trading.
JonOli is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum