Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-27-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sanders?

People seem very mixed on the subject, but Ring magazine did award him their belt. I for one think he deserved it.. his only real logical competition at the time was Johnson and Sanders, and he beat them both. And Sanders vacated the WBO title in order to fight Vitali, so I suppose that can be looked at as a unification of the sorts.

What are your thoughts?

And why are people often so mixed on this subject?
RAMPAGE0017 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
JoeyP
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1090
Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sanders?

No--I didn't because they leap frogged Byrd at the time. Byrd was on a huge winning streak and was 1-2 for quite awhile. As I recall, he was suppose to get a shot at Lewis but Lewis dropped the title so Byrd fought Holyfield for it. Byrd had a win over VK so how he could be leap frogged at that time was a joke. The Ring jumped the gun on this one.

JoeyP
JoeyP is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sand

no
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
1-Ton
Walking in the Light
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1338
Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sanders?

Despite the loss, Vitali won the respect of many in the Lewis fight. Byrd was overlooked, perhaps unfairly, due to his relative inactivity at the time. I personally found it a bit confusing given that Byrd had beaten Vitali.
1-Ton is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyP
No--I didn't because they leap frogged Byrd at the time. Byrd was on a huge winning streak and was 1-2 for quite awhile. As I recall, he was suppose to get a shot at Lewis but Lewis dropped the title so Byrd fought Holyfield for it. Byrd had a win over VK so how he could be leap frogged at that time was a joke. The Ring jumped the gun on this one.

JoeyP

Yeah, I didn't think of that.. Byrd does have a W over Vitali. Althought Byrd wasn't necessarily a major threat to Vitali ( unless he injured himself during the fight again ), I guess it's debatable that he should have to get threw Byrd first. But on the other hand.... Sanders was number 2 heavyweight in the world at the time, right? Ring magazine awards their belts based on the outcome of a fight between the number 1 and 2 ranked fighters of a division.

Last edited by RAMPAGE0017; 06-27-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosseboi
lol. Byrd 'beat' Vitali....RIIIIIGHT! Let's get our facts right shall we? Byrd was getting his ass whooped!!!!!! And Vitali quit with a shaoulder injury.

Better to fight @ 100% and win than lose when injured I guess people still can't understand that though. :S
you know nothing
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
1-Ton
Walking in the Light
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1338

Quote:
lol. Byrd 'beat' Vitali....RIIIIIGHT! Let's get our facts right shall we? Byrd was getting his ass whooped!!!!!! And Vitali quit with a shaoulder injury.

Better to fight @ 100% and win than lose when injured I guess people still can't understand that though. :S
I agree with you, and that may have something to do with Vitali being the Ring champion. But, despite the circumstance, still a "W" for Byrd.
1-Ton is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I am a Vitali fan but I didn't think he was the true champion. He was in my opinion the best fighter at heavyweight and I beleive had the ability to be the unified champion but potential doesn't mean a thing. A fighter doesn't become a champion by having the potential but by acheiveing his potential.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
JoeyP
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Ok--Let's get ouf facts straight---Byrd won that fight and got the W--thats all that counts. VK QUIT. I don't care what happened the 10 rounds before that. VK quit. Byrd won. End of story.

JoeyP
JoeyP is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
JoeyP
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE0017
Yeah, I didn't think of that.. Byrd does have a W over Vitali. Althought Byrd wasn't necessarily a major threat to Vitali ( unless he injured himself during the fight again ), I guess it's debatable that he should have to get threw Byrd first. But on the other hand.... Sanders was number 2 heavyweight in the world at the time, right? Ring magazine awards their belts based on the outcome of a fight between the number 1 and 2 ranked fighters of a division.

If I recall---VK was 1, Byrd was 2, and Sanders was 3. VK leapfrogged Byrd in the rankings based on a loss to Lewis. Byrd had been 1 for awhile and was on quite a win streak at that time.
JoeyP is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyP
If I recall---VK was 1, Byrd was 2, and Sanders was 3. VK leapfrogged Byrd in the rankings based on a loss to Lewis. Byrd had been 1 for awhile and was on quite a win streak at that time.

How's that possible? Wladimir was pretty much universally recognized as the " heir to the throne " and then he get's shockingly defeated by Sanders. I don't see how Byrd could've been number 2.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
teetop
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Of course. Who else at that time would be considered champ besides the winner of that clash?
teetop is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

He wasn't Lineal. But I recognize him as a former Champ just like Marvin Hart is also a former Champ. Well, more than a Champ, Klit was an important Claimant, like Maher, Hart, Burns...
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
JoeyP
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE0017
How's that possible? Wladimir was pretty much universally recognized as the " heir to the throne " and then he get's shockingly defeated by Sanders. I don't see how Byrd could've been number 2.

I'll have to check my old Ring mags from that time--but I'm pretty sure I'm right. I'll get back to you this evening.

JoeyP
JoeyP is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Yes. He already gave the legitimate champion(Lewis) HELL and was running after him for almost a year to get a rematch and blew away Kirk Johnson when he had to. So yes, he DID become the legitimate champion.
Scar is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum