Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #46
Gabriel R.

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sanders?

To me, he was the most convincing of the four title holders at that time. It's a matter of definition if this is the criteria for being the legitimate champion or if it's not. However, I considered him the best in the division, but unfortunately he couldn't prove it often enough. Fights with guys like Rahman, Brewster, Peter or a rematch with Byrd would have been important. So I can well understand if people didn't see him as the legitimate champion.
Gabriel R. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #47
RAMPAGE0017
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sanders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel R.
To me, he was the most convincing of the four title holders at that time. It's a matter of definition if this is the criteria for being the legitimate champion or if it's not. However, I considered him the best in the division, but unfortunately he couldn't prove it often enough. Fights with guys like Rahman, Brewster, Peter or a rematch with Byrd would have been important. So I can well understand if people didn't see him as the legitimate champion.

I didn't think Peter was that well established at the time.
RAMPAGE0017 is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #48
Jaaames
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 983

It really had nothing to do with the Lennox fight.... Remember, Corrie Sanders had to drop the belt that he took from Wlad in order to fight Vitali.... I think that's why vitali got the ring magazine title...
Jaaames is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #49
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

not the undisputed champ but clearly the #1 hw kinda how wlad is seen right now.
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #50
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90
Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sand

Quote:
Well, let me ask you this.... if Vitali didn't earn the spot as #1 heavyweight in the world, then who did? Neither Ruiz, nor Byrd accomplished anything as much as what Vitali accomplished in the short time which he did.
From end of 01 to end of 04, here are those guys records.

Vitlay

Dec 01 - W TKO Ross Purrity
FEb 02 - W TKO Vaughn Bean
Nov 02 - W TKO Larry Donald
Jun 03 - L TKO Lennox Lewis
Dec 03 - W TKO Kirk Johnson
April 04 - W TKO Corrie Sanders
Dec 04 - W TKO Danny Williams

BYRD

Aug 01 - W UD David Tua
June 02 - W TKO Jeff Pegues
Dec 02 - W UD Evander Holyfield
Sep 03 - W UD Fres Oquendo
April 04 - D Andrew Golota
Nov 04 - W SD Jameel McCline

Ruiz

Dec 01 - D Evander Holyfield
Jul 02 - W DQ Kirk Johnson
Mar 03 - L UD Roy Jones JR
Dec 03 - W UD Hasim Rahman
April 04 - W TKO Fres Oquendo
Nov 04 - W UD Andrew Golota.

So quite rightly, Vitlay was about middle of the top 10 before he fought Lewis.

A loss to him, and win over Kirk Johnson propels you up the rankings????

Byrd and Ruiz both beat more top 10 rated guys. I don't care how, you have to go on official results.

They deserved to be ranked at least as high as Vitlay on achievements at that point in time. But those guys certainly didn't rank as high on ability to sell magazines. Why do you think Vitlay shot up the rankings like that?
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #51
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

It's because how Vitaly beat them. Vitaly destoyed Johnson in 2 rounds when most people at the time thought it would be a close fight.He battered Sanders badly and made Williams do the funky chicken dance a couple times before KOing him badly. when Byrd and Ruiz always won close disputed decisions and had very boring fights.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #52
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
It's because how Vitaly beat them. Vitaly destoyed Johnson ..........battered Sanders badly ............made Williams do the funky chicken dance.
That brings up another discussion, altogether;

When ranking a fighter, do you determine his ranking only by the fighters he has defeated........or..........do you also take into account the manner in which he beat his opponents, as in how decisive the victory was.......????????
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #53
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand

When ranking a fighter, do you determine his ranking only by the fighters he has defeated........or..........do you also take into account the manner in which he beat his opponents, as in how decisive the victory was.......????????
well technically you shouldn't but trying to figure out out how the ABC's come up with rankings is mind boggling at best. So I think this can be taken into account as seeing as there is no structurd point system.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #54
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeIsGod
not the undisputed champ but clearly the #1 hw kinda how wlad is seen right now.
Ramshall1 is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #55
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

He was a good titleholder, but NEVER the World HW Champion.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #56
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand

You obviously have to consider the performance. Result + Performance.

The Ring does it.

Vitali deserves much more credit for his win against Kirk Johnson than Ruiz.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #57
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion

The Ring does it.

I think they do take the manner of the win into account, but then again, in my personal opinion, that can make the rankings too subjective and a matter of personal opinion, which it should not be. I think they should make the ranking determination guidelines as far removed form personal opinion, as possible. It will obviously be somewhat speculative, but it shoud be as concrete/cut and dried, as they can make it.

Last edited by Heavyrighthand; 06-28-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #58
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Did anyone accept VITALI as the legitimate heavyweight champion when he beat Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion

The Ring does it.

WHOOOAAAA back there.

Johnson weighed 238 against Ruiz.

He weighed 260 against Vitlay

If you want to start playing that game, then Ruiz deserves more credit IMO. Even though it was bogus the way he got the DQ, Johnson was a frickin whale against Vitlay.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #59
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman
WHOOOAAAA back there.

Johnson weighed 238 against Ruiz.

He weighed 260 against Vitlay

If you want to start playing that game, then Ruiz deserves more credit IMO. Even though it was bogus the way he got the DQ, Johnson was a frickin whale against Vitlay.
yes, but he's KO'd in round 2 so stamina wasn't the factor
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #60
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
yes, but he's KO'd in round 2 so stamina wasn't the factor
I'm not talking about stamina.

I'm talking about how fat he was. How little preparation he'd obviously put in.

How much he was actually prepared to TRY. Coming in to fight in that shape just shows that he basically just rocked up for the paycheck, with no intention of trying to win.

You seriously think that all being 260 effects is stamina????? How about speed, mobility etc?

****, how could vitlay miss him at that weight?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum