Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
boxingcar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default COUTURE: ĎITíS NOT A RETIREMENTí , "Itís a resignation from the UFC"

COUTURE: ĎITíS NOT A RETIREMENTí

It is quite a twist that the UFC has fought tooth-and-nail the last seven years to attract mainstream media attention, yet one of the biggest frenzies to date is centered on losing one of its top stars. In an unexpected move, Randy Couture RESIGNED from all professional association with the promotion yesterday, which included two contracted fights, an on-camera analystís position, and his heavyweight crown.

UFC president Dana White tagged Coutureís decision a ďretirement,Ē citing the 44-year-oldís departure from the sport in 2006 before returning in March 2007 to reclaim the heavyweight title from lumbering 6-foot-8, 265-pound Tim Sylvia. ďItís not a retirement,Ē said Couture Friday, who also works as on-air analyst and ambassador for The Fight Network. ďItís a resignation from the UFC organization.Ē

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
boxingcar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
geppy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2166
Default Re: COUTURE: ĎITíS NOT A RETIREMENTí , "Itís a resignation from the UFC"

Intresting, I interpret that as he wants to continue fighting but not in the UFC.
geppy is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Default Re: COUTURE: ĎITíS NOT A RETIREMENTí , "Itís a resignation from the UFC"

Hey i thougt the buyout of PRIDE was good for MMA?!?! Nya ha ha.Randys going to the M1! **** it we may even see him in the K1!!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

I'll bet he does show up in the new M1 fighting Fedor! Wow what crazy news.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

He's taking careful steps to pick his words for the pending lawsuits. Hopefullly, he will be able to fight Fedor before he gets too old, but he is still under contract with Zuffa. I really think it will head to the courts.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
safe_pa
Howlin' Mad
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 270

Randy had huge balls, he has chosen to quit the company that has made him to go after the biggest, hardest fight out there for him. poor poor Dana
Randy is a living legend!
safe_pa is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
He's taking careful steps to pick his words for the pending lawsuits. Hopefullly, he will be able to fight Fedor before he gets too old, but he is still under contract with Zuffa. I really think it will head to the courts.
If Randy tries to fight in the United States, a court could issue an injunction to stop him. If he fights outside of the United States, Zuffa can sue him, but cannot stop the fight from happening. Finkelstein has said M-1 and it's financial backers are willing to provide legal teams to protect it's fighters from other organizations, so my thougts are they will have Fedor vs Randy outside of America and deal with the legal shit later.

Now, legal precedent in the United States has shown that no compete contracts are generally ruled unenforceable by courts after a period of 12 months has lapsed. Dana is saying Randy can't fight for anyone ever again, but the reality is he has no legal ground to stand on with that claim.

Furthermore, Zuffa best tread very, very lightly if they pursue Randy. He carries a lot of weight with fans, and with other fighters, and many trust and respect him enough to take him up if he invites other to follow his lead. Zuffa is going to look tarnished when this is all said and done and Randy will be standing tall.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebs
I think he is also being careful not to decieve the fans as well. Hence, when asked he hesitated and said that as of now it just means he's leaving the UFC....this way if a fight in M-1 is suddenly announced he isn't called a liar.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
alewaboy52
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

as far as im concerned randy has done more for the UFC than anyone could possibly ask for, hes been there since ufc 13, he helped bring it into the main stream, the ufc should be doing everything in its power to get this fight for randy even if it does mean letting him fight in another orginization, hes made you guys millions let him set his legacy in cement (kind of is already but you know what i mean)
alewaboy52 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Apperently he was angry for a few reasons, he found out what they offered Fedor and said it was insult. Dana has been rubbing alot of guys the wrong way lately. I think alot of people are getting tired of his dictatorship and hard bargaining. And as for Randy doing this....... it's sure a slap in the face for Dana, but I'm not sure how the legal process will play out.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

anything that pisses white off is good news to me.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

If the nicest, humblest, most laid back, most respectful man in the UFC says he isn't happy with whats going on in the UFC you gotta wonder what other fighters are thinking.

Randy was very close to the administration (I assume he was as he got a position as commentator) and he has never spoken out about anything before, he never trash talks and never says dumb shit to create controversy. Something must have seriously ticked him of for him to say all these things.

The truth will come out eventually.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #13
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

If he can he'll go to the M1 and fight Fedor. He gets paid 500k and any true businessman could EASILY cough up more than that to get him a fight with Fedor.

Hell, give this to any big boxing promoter and they'll easily give each fighter 5mil, pack out a stadium, put it on PPV, blah blah blah. Easy fight to seel. Two champs, heavyweights and they can be argued to be the best fighter in the world.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Randy will end up coaching an IFL team.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
Apperently he was angry for a few reasons, he found out what they offered Fedor and said it was insult. Dana has been rubbing alot of guys the wrong way lately. I think alot of people are getting tired of his dictatorship and hard bargaining. And as for Randy doing this....... it's sure a slap in the face for Dana, but I'm not sure how the legal process will play out.
I'm not sure how the legal process will pan out either, but the word "monopoly" keeps coming to mind. If white has all the fighters under contract and is also promoting the fight, it's anything but a free market.
Vanboxingfan is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum