Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Mayweather or Pacquiao?

A wee game.

You're managing both Mayweather and Pacquiao. Sounds good? It is good! But they've landed in the toughest 140lb division in the history of the fight game. Your job is to keep them unbeaten whilst matching the best in this division. Impossible? Might be. BUT, you only have to match ONE of your fighters with each of the divsions top 10. Which of your very different fighters would you match with these men in order to give your man the best chance of winning? Why? In short, tell us who you think has the better chance to beat the following guys at 140lbs, Mayweather or Pacquiao. Say why.

For the sake of form, Pacquiao has just beaten Hatton and Mayweather has just beaten Gatti.

Ch: Barney Ross
01: Jimmy McLarnin
02: Jose Napoles
03: Kostya Tszyu
04: Tony Canzoneri
05: Oscar De La Hoya
06: Nico Locche
07: Aaron Pryor
08: Julio Cesar Chavez
09: Takeshi Fuji
10: Wilfred Benitez

Remember, you're just picking which of the two has the best chance against each man, and why. Don't feel like you have to work through the entire list if you don't want to,pick out your favourite fights.

Last edited by McGrain; 05-20-2010 at 06:53 AM.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Mayweather or Pacquiao?

Mayweather, less susceptable to being outboxed, no obvious defensive weaknesses, just a better boxer. I could see a few of those making Pac look silly or knocking him out, although his athleticism and power are his great equalisers for lack of technical excellence, so you never know
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Just like Clottey was going to give Pacquiao a really tough fight and maybe beat him?

You can't surely favour Floyd over Pacquiao in every single match-up
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 967

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
A wee game.

You're managing both Mayweather and Pacquiao. Sounds good? It is good! But they've landed in the toughest 140lb division in the history of the fight game. Your job is to keep them unbeaten whilst matching the best in this division. Impossible? Might be. BUT, you only have to match ONE of your fighters with each of the divsions top 10. Which of your very different fighters would you match with these men in order to give your man the best chance of winning? Why? In short, tell us who you think has the better chance to beat the following guys at 140lbs, Mayweather or Pacquiao. Say why.

For the sake of form, Pacquiao has just beaten Hatton and Mayweather has just beaten Gatti.

Remember, you're just picking which of the two has the best chance against each man, and why. Don't feel like you have to work through the entire list if you don't want to,pick out your favourite fights.
Mayweather
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

As a shrewd manager, I'd be moving Floyd up to welter, and Pacquiao down to lightweight.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Just like Clottey was going to give Pacquiao a really tough fight and maybe beat him?

You can't surely favour Floyd over Pacquiao in every single match-up
I made a bad pick on that 1, I did say Clottey probably wouldnt work hard enough, that was an over estimate on my part He did catch him with a few nice counters

And yes I do, Mayweather is the best I've seen around that weight, call me a nuthugger but its my honest opinion
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Mayweather vs Locche
Mayweather vs Fuji

Pac vs Fuji (They seem to like each other's left overs)
Pac vs Pryor
Pac vs Tszyu
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

That's a proper stab at an anwer Pete.

Other than that this thread is a utter disaster.

Tomorrow, I may be sober.

Then, I gonna show you how it's done.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
That's a proper stab at an anwer Pete.

Other than that this thread is a utter disaster.

Tomorrow, I may be sober.

Then, I gonna show you how it's done.

Thanks McGrain. It's all a style thing. Locche as great isn't as balanced. Fuji can't deal with Mayweather as he had troulbed with Locche (Although they aren't the same. Mayweather is great defensively and better offensively).

Walk forward type fighters for Pac. I almost thought of Chavez, but that could be hell for him.

Pyror, I just feel matches up well for Pac. He's unorthodox and such, but Pac might be more of the awkward from all angles type fighter. I think he would play into Pac. And while fighting on the inside against Pac is the way to do TYzu is going to have to find hell trying to do so. That's all I guess...
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Mayweather - Some of those guys hit real hard &/or are defensively very good... Pac takes a lot of shots & is more comfortable vs come forward fighters with average defense.... Mayweather could potentially outbox any of those men without having to absorb too many flush punches + if all is not going well, Floyd has shown himself to be a better adapter than Manny.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Mayweather - Some of those guys hit real hard &/or are defensively very good... Pac takes a lot of shots & is more comfortable vs come forward fighters with average defense.... Mayweather could potentially outbox any of those men without having to absorb too many flush punches + if all is not going well, Floyd has shown himself to be a better adapter than Manny.
Floyd would not be able to outbox Napoles in a chess-match or with Mantequilla pressing him, and he would take more flush punches than ever before.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Pac. May have the seemingly inferior skillset, but us more proven against elite opposition, though not so much at 140 to be honest, though for arguments sake let's say he can make the weight fine and puts a move to welter on hold ecause a time machine has been invented because as savage as it was Hatton was a) not at his best b) not amongst the elite competition this thread has offered.

I reckon they'll both win some and lose some. In fact, I wouldn't say Pac would do necessarily better, I'd say they'll probably be quite close.

To go through all the matchups is too big a task for my stoned mind at the moment. But this is a good thread, no matter how inebriated McGrain was when he made it
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Barney Ross

I would pick Mayweather, to tackle the brilliant Ross. Ross is a fundamentally sound boxer, he does it by the book, a true technician. Mayweather is also a tehnician. I feel Mayweather could make this a chess-match where it would level the playing field abit but Ross would ultimatly outwork him with his combinations. Pacquiao for me would be drawn into a war with Ross and stopped, as Ross did well in dog-battles.

Jimmy McLarnin

Again, I would have to pick Mayweather. McLarnin is a massive puncher and a decent counter-puncher. I feel Mayweather's defensive skills would allow him to last it out but be outpointed by McLarnin's harder punches. Again, Pacquiao probably gets drawn in and KO'd IMO.

Jose Napoles

I'd pick Pacquiao here. I think his fast hands and unorthodox style could do fairly well against Napoles and have a chance of cutting him, but he makes this a really good fight but Napoles counters would probably do him, I'm thinking right uppercut to the heart would stop Pac. Mayweather I think would play it safe and probably get beat as bad or worse.

Kostya Tszyu

I'd pick Pacquiao here, I think his speed and aggresivenes sint he way he launches those combinations in then steps back out of range would bode well here, as Tzsyu is a much more fundamentally sound technician, thing is I worry more for Pacquiao in this one in terms of getting beat as I could see Tszyu timing him and getting him out at some point, Mayweather I feel could capture a close decision using his defensive boxing, but Pacquiao would win more impressivly.

Tony Canzoneri

Tough one here, as Canzoneri is brilliant. He is such a good counter-puncher but also force the lead alot. I think he beats Pacquiao after some intial problems, starts to time him and landing on him. With Mayweather it is much more interesting as canzoneri struggled when kid Chocolate took away the iniative from canzoneri and forced him to lead, mayweather though is a lesser version of Chocolate but would be more disciplined in making Canzoneri lead, on Mayweathers best day i could see him snatch a decision.

Oscar De La Hoya

Both guys beat him here IMO, Mayweather wins a decision for me here, but Pacquiao can make it a very good scrap. He could make it a really exciting fight and perhaps hut De la Hoya and take a close decision. For that reason I pick him as it would make money and establish pacquiao.

Nico Locche

Takeshi Fuji

I think both guys here would win and in a decent way, but I think Pacquiao could look better in doing so. Fuji to me looks like a massive puncher but he is very open. I liek Pac's fairly aggresive style and fast hands and feet to let him in and unload the bombs and take Fuji out early. Mayweather I expect would sharp shoot him and take a decision. Pacquiao just looks better doing it so he gets the fight.

I will do some more later, if anyone wants me to go into more detail in a specific match up just ask.

Last edited by GPater11093; 05-24-2010 at 04:38 PM.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mayweather would probably beat most of these guys, well except napoles and pryor, those would be tough to breakdown.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

If i managed Pacquia-

I'd throw Pacquiao in with Fuji and then i'd ring in sick everyday til i retire.

If i had Mayweather-

I'd get a good win right off the bat against Oscar. I'd fancy my man against Canzoneri. If he comes through, i'd get the Fuji win. The fights that come are all losable. I'd go for Tszyu next in the hope of Mayweather's versatility being a trump factor when needed. I'd have him box exclusively on defense against McLarnin, fighting to his strength, pot-shotting and offsetting his man with footwork and a technically well versed defense all round. I'd then risk him against Locche, and tell him to approach it like he did Gatti, the plan is not arrived at by way of any stylistic comparison between Locche and Gatti of course, but i would want Mayweather to move in and out attempting to get shots off on the defensive master. If we take on Pryor now, he would HAVE to fight like he did against Hatton, don't know about it working, when Pryor decides to box in spurts, Mayweather picks up points though. Maybe Ross should have been in chosen first actually. While Ross has the edge in owning an extra dimension offensively, Mayweather is good enough to compete throughout and i think it's close. Mayweather would get ouiworked in a technical affair most probably against Benitez, and wouldn't take Napoles imo.

BTW- I do think Pacquiao is much much better than De La Hoya p4p, he might even beat this version of Oscar just because of that.
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum