Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default The proposed 140 tournament structure......me no like!

Does anyone else feel suggested formation of the Light-Welterweight tournament is not sufficient enough to determine the number one fighter of the division? Currently the following is trying to be pushed forward:

SF1 - Khan vs Maidana
SF2 - Bradley vs Alexander

Now let’s just go ahead with this scenario......Khan gets by Maidana, and Bradley edges out Alexander. Khan then goes on to defeat Bradley in the final, and is declared the 140 king.

So will this end the story right there? That's it? Khan is no longer required to fight Alexander? Or Bradley required to fight Maidana? Or Maidana to fight Alexander? Will these potential match-ups (which are equally as mouth watering as each other) risk being elapsed?

Why aren't they considering a format like the Super 6, where ALL contests are required to face each other; thus eliminating the chance to take a short cut to the top. I don't know about you guys, but this talent rich division can't go ahead with out making these guys fight each other at least once.

What do you guys think?
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
The MesserStick
DavidTua.net Blows
ESB Addict

vCash: 796
Default Re: The proposed 140 tournament structure......me no like!

The Super 6 is not the best format. 1 of the 6 already cannot continue. The fight delays push the entire thing back each time they have 1. They don't even have the 6 best SMW's in the world competing.

At 140, nobody is ducking anybody except for maybe Khan. Bradley and Alexander will fight anyone at anytime. Maidana is the same way. The only thing I see that I would like a 140 tourney to produce is that Khan has to fight the winner of Bradley Alexander. To me though, Bradley and Alexander should be seeded 1 and 2 and face the other guys who should be the lower seeds. It should go Khan vs Alexander and Bradley vs Maidana. Why does Khan get the weaker draw like he is the #1 seed?
The MesserStick is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
awas88
The King
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MesserStick View Post
The Super 6 is not the best format. 1 of the 6 already cannot continue. The fight delays push the entire thing back each time they have 1. They don't even have the 6 best SMW's in the world competing.

At 140, nobody is ducking anybody except for maybe Khan. Bradley and Alexander will fight anyone at anytime. Maidana is the same way. The only thing I see that I would like a 140 tourney to produce is that Khan has to fight the winner of Bradley Alexander. To me though, Bradley and Alexander should be seeded 1 and 2 and face the other guys who should be the lower seeds. It should go Khan vs Alexander and Bradley vs Maidana. Why does Khan get the weaker draw like he is the #1 seed?
I guess you've not been keeping up with the news

Khan gets maidana cos its his mandatory, hes been accused of ducking him for a while and everybody has been calling him to face a puncher, so its that simple. I dont get why people complain about Bradley having to face Alexandra, do boxing fans not wanna see good fights.
awas88 is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Because a Super Six tournament format takes forever.

And I honestly don't think there will be a unification any time soon. Bradley doesn't want Alexander.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238

Quote:

Khan is the one who's ducking? Go read BS. And catch up with the news. Khan is willing to fight the top guys. Bradley Isn't. Bradley wants no part of Alexander.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Richel Hersisia
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1360

i guess you are following boxing with a subjective view
Richel Hersisia is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Ever since he signed to GBP, people have been crying and moaning about him 'ducking' Maidana. Now he's gone out and said "I'll fight Maidana next", he's still ducking?

As for Bradley will fight anyone, well that's not exactly true is it. He's not shown any signs of being keen to take up Alexander's challenge.

However I do understand your point about Khan getting the weaker draw. Which is why I suggest the Super 6 structure be adopted, as none of the fighters are able to avoid facing one another. And seeing as though there are only 4 contestants, the fighter's route to being crowned number one, consists of only 4 fights. Any potential fight delays, will be minor and not considered that much of a problem
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Because a Super Six tournament format takes forever.

And I honestly don't think there will be a unification any time soon. Bradley doesn't want Alexander.
But this will only contest 4 fighters. And as mentioned in my above post, a fighter's journey will only consist of 4 fights maximum. This competition will be completed easily within 18 months.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Toontoon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 117

Not much of a tournament anyway with only 4 men in a knockout format, they would be better of expanding the tournament to 8 men and using the knockout format with matches being decided by a random draw.

It's the format they should have used instead of the super 6 too.
Toontoon is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
BazookaJab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 400
Default Delete.

Delete.

Last edited by BazookaJab; 12-28-2010 at 05:34 PM.
BazookaJab is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
ai786
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 236

better than no tournement!
ai786 is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaJab View Post
They should go their separate ways for a year, then try some kind of tournament. Alexander and Khan JUST made their BAD debut. Bradley hasn't even fought on HBO yet. Have people forgotten how to build up big fights? When people actually know who Bradley, Alexander, and Khan are, then the fights will happen.
It's precisely this reason why I don't think the tournament will even begin this year. Rightfully so in my opinion. I'd prefer it if the guys involved build their profiles a little more
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Khan is the one who's ducking? Go read BS. And catch up with the news. Khan is willing to fight the top guys. Bradley Isn't. Bradley wants no part of Alexander.
Yeah and Khan was also willing to fight Maidana before taking on Pauli. Don't believe every bullshit you hear
Leonit is online now  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
FinalBELL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

super six format sucks! It would be much better if the tourny was no longer than a year. After so long, you lose interest in the tournament anyways. I say Maidana stops Khan in the mid to late rounds.

Khan's face showed the effects of Paulie's punches; imagine what Maidana's punches will do.

Bradley takes Alexander in a close decision.
FinalBELL is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

If we had a decent ranking system that the 4 major sanctioning bodies would all agree on, tournaments would not be necessary. But that's just a pipe dream unfortunately.
booradley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum