Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
Pax
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: The proposed 140 tournament structure......me no like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalBELL View Post
super six format sucks! It would be much better if the tourny was no longer than a year. After so long, you lose interest in the tournament anyways. I say Maidana stops Khan in the mid to late rounds.

Khan's face showed the effects of Paulie's punches; imagine what Maidana's punches will do.

Bradley takes Alexander in a close decision.
I like the super 6 format. This torenment has made for some great boxing recently. Also, it gets campion fighter to risk their 0 and their belt, knowing if they loose they will have another chance to redeem themselves by getting more championship fights. Example: kesseler. After ward everybody would have said he is washed up and he'd prolly never get another title shot. Instead his next fight is against an undefeated champion in froch. Which he beats and regains his reputation as a tough fighter. Too many times as soon as a boxer loses he is written off, and this torenment style allows redemption.
Pax is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

its not true taht every fighter faces each other in the super 6

but seriously, anyone who thinks the super6 format sucks is just too whiny
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
Uncle Oden
Respect Guzman
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It's not a tournament and nobody has suggested it except for Khan, and he'd want no part of it anyway. Get over it. There is no tournament. But I'd love one.
Uncle Oden is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
FinalBELL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I like the super 6 format. This torenment has made for some great boxing recently. Also, it gets campion fighter to risk their 0 and their belt, knowing if they loose they will have another chance to redeem themselves by getting more championship fights. Example: kesseler. After ward everybody would have said he is washed up and he'd prolly never get another title shot. Instead his next fight is against an undefeated champion in froch. Which he beats and regains his reputation as a tough fighter. Too many times as soon as a boxer loses he is written off, and this torenment style allows redemption.
I think the format is fine. I love the fact that these fighters can redeem themselves after a loss to a top fighter. But this tournament is being stretched out far too long.
FinalBELL is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
Jacko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I really don't see the problem in the Khan v Maidana winner fighting the Alexander v Bradley winner format.

It's not about a tournament. It is just about the good old fashion formula of boxing; the best fight the best and the rest duke it out amongst themselves to see who gets the next shot at the best.

Bradley and Alexander are generally regarded as number 1 and 2 in the division so they should fight it out to see who is best. Khan and Maidana are largely regarded as the 3rd and 4th best in the division so they should also fight it out to see who gets the next crack at the number 1 guy.

Like i said, its just basic boxing rankings commonsense. No need for a silly tournament.

There is also the fact that Maidana is Khans mandatory and people have been claiming for awhile now that Khan is ducking Maidana (and any heavy hitter for that matter) so this way makes sense.
Jacko is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
SiccSense
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Khan suggested an informal tournament, which was pretty good idea, people were complaining that he was ducking Maidana, now he is willing to fight him, people are looking for another route to bash the guy. Pathetic.
SiccSense is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #22
Big Left
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Khan has to fight Maidana - he is just mixing it up by saying Bradley and Alexander should fight - it helps him if they do fight but i think that Bradley and Alexander will want to wait until someone beats Khan again so that when they fight they can say it is for the best in the divison.

I mean Bradley and Alexander dont wanna be fighting for the right to face Khan - that sort devalues their fight in my opinion and it is one of the biggest prospect fights in America - along with Ward/Dirrell which will happen at the end of this year.
Big Left is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #23
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Oden View Post
It's not a tournament and nobody has suggested it except for Khan, and he'd want no part of it anyway. Get over it. There is no tournament. But I'd love one.
What are you talking about?

Bradley's team recently said they are in full agreement with Khan, and they too want these match-ups pushed forward. And please explain how Khan wants no part of it, when he himself is the one who publicly (live TV) said he wants Maidana soon, in a 4-man tournament format.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #24
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

They are clearly the top 4 lww's atm... the other contenders are peterson, urango, kotelnik, ortiz and they have been soundly beaten by the top men. yes kot beat maidana but since then both have gone in opposite directions.

i rate alexander the top dog. i see khan easily stopping maidana, katsidis would be a sterner test if he moves up. but as it is these 4 should get it on.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #25
timmyjames
PTurd curb stomper
East Side Guru

vCash: 3111

its not really a tourny the way they have it planned
timmyjames is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
The MesserStick
DavidTua.net Blows
ESB Addict

vCash: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by awas88 View Post
I guess you've not been keeping up with the news

Khan gets maidana cos its his mandatory, hes been accused of ducking him for a while and everybody has been calling him to face a puncher, so its that simple. I dont get why people complain about Bradley having to face Alexandra, do boxing fans not wanna see good fights.
If they sign for a tournament then there is no need for them to fight for the regular title. It's just not right for the 2 clearly best fighters at 140 to have to fight in the 1st round. I want to see the fight but they would both beat either of the other 2. Also having an American in both semifinals is the better thing to do for all parties.

I know Khan is the interim champ. It doesn't frigging matter though if they sign the deal. In a tournament proposed this way, Khan gets a very unfair and unwarranted advantage. Khan should have to run through both Bradley and Alexander to win the tournament IMO. He is a 3 seed at best.
The MesserStick is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #27
Pax
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalBELL View Post
I think the format is fine. I love the fact that these fighters can redeem themselves after a loss to a top fighter. But this tournament is being stretched out far too long.
at least it will end w/ an ultimate winner, how long would it take for these 7 guys to fight each other and decide a TRUE winner?
Pax is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum