Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #76
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hungarian boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
That would be quite a matchup! Although I would rather have Balzsay fight at least two more 12 rounders before taking on a fighter of Bute's level. They met at the amateurs twice and they're 1-1 if I remember correctly, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.
A fight b/w the two in let's say a year from now on the other hand would be just pure awesomeness. Two great fighters with nice skills at their prime. Two long time rivals, what's more: a Romanian vs a Hungarian... can you get any better than that?

Again, you talk about it as if there were a big rivalry...

I guess there is, but not in boxing?

Fencing, handball, swimming, water polo...etc, yeah! Big rivalry there, but not fighting...

Yeah, I agree...Balzsay isn't ready and it would be a shame to waste him now...he needs a few more fights, against slightly better comp first.
Decebal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #77
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal

Again, you talk about it as if there were a big rivalry...

I guess there is, but not in boxing?

Fencing, handball, swimming, water polo...etc, yeah! Big rivalry there, but not fighting...

Yeah, I agree...Balzsay isn't ready and it would be a shame to waste him now...he needs a few more fights, against slightly better comp first.
I disagree with you here mate. I think this rivalry exists in all kind of sports, we just haven't really had top quality fighters meeting eachother in the ring lately. But such rivalry can be a good thing. It can generate more fan and media attention and the fighters might give more than usual.
It's like Mexicans vs Ricans or English vs Scottish - these matchups are always special and always have some extra spice.

You know I'm totally against nationalistic ultra-right wing bullshit. But I'm not against national rivalry. Rivals doesn't have to be enemies. What's more, rivals can be friends.

Peace!
Darien is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #78
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
I disagree with you here mate. I think this rivalry exists in all kind of sports, we just haven't really had top quality fighters meeting eachother in the ring lately. But such rivalry can be a good thing. It can generate more fan and media attention and the fighters might give more than usual.
It's like Mexicans vs Ricans or English vs Scottish - these matchups are always special and always have some extra spice.

You know I'm totally against nationalistic ultra-right wing bullshit. But I'm not against national rivalry. Rivals doesn't have to be enemies. What's more, rivals can be friends.

Peace!
Honestly, I don't see it from this side of the fence...Romania has a sporting rivaly with Russia, generally, but not with Hungary...

Sporting rivalry with Hungary is only limited to the sports Hungary is usually better at: swimming, fencing, etc. but generally...when I hear Romania is playing Hungary......just like any other country...

...with Russia, it's not the same...it doesn't matter whether it's football, boxing or tiddlywinks - WE HAVE TO WIN!

Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #79
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
...with Russia, it's not the same...it doesn't matter whether it's football, boxing or tiddlywinks - WE HAVE TO WIN!

Then I guess we have something in common after all...
Darien is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #80
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Then I guess we have something in common after all...
More than either of us is willing to admit!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #81
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
More than either of us is willing to admit!
You're probably right again mate...

But now I'm off to bed. Looking forward to continue this discussion!
Darien is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #82
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're probably right again mate...

But now I'm off to bed. Looking forward to continue this discussion!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #83
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Balzsay's next opponent named:
SMW contender Károly Balzsay is about to defend his WBO intercontinental belt on 26 April in Dresden, Germany against Lithuanian Mantas Tarvydas 15-2 (10KO). They will appear on the undercard of the event that has a double header with Erdei vs Abron and Dzindziruk vs Konecny.

Also Erdei gave an interesting interview to Hungary's no1 sports daily newspaper nemzetisport in which he criticised his management strongly. He said: "I've already said on every corner of Hamburg that I'm willing to face anyone and go anywhere. I don't need them to bring my foes to Germany. But it seems Universum only care about their own agenda and they don't want to give me a mega-fight." He also said that maybe he's the one to blame for the situation, he shouldn't have told his bosses when he wants to retire.
Darien is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #84
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
SMW contender Károly Balzsay is about to defend his WBO intercontinental belt on 26 April in Dresden, Germany against Lithuanian Mantas Tarvydas 15-2 (10KO). They will appear on the undercard of the event that has a double header with Erdei vs Abron and Dzindziruk vs Konecny.

Also Erdei gave an interesting interview to Hungary's no1 sports daily newspaper nemzetisport in which he criticised his management strongly. He said: "I've already said on every corner of Hamburg that I'm willing to face anyone and go anywhere. I don't need them to bring my foes to Germany. But it seems Universum only care about their own agenda and they don't want to give me a mega-fight." He also said that maybe he's the one to blame for the situation, he shouldn't have told his bosses when he wants to retire.
Erdei had a say. He's just trying to save face with the fans in Hungary. Doesn't wash with me, though. Also, looks like Balzsay is taking his time stepping up...his opponent is an inexperiened straw man. Looks like he's going the same road as Erdei.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #85
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict

Quote:

He should re-new this statement after his next fight on German and Hungarian TV. I'll also tell my buddy, who's going to the pressers and the fight that he shoud confront Erdei with his statements.
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #86
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Former middleweight and super middleweight contender József Nagy will face Polish Pawel Kolodziej for the IBC cruisreweight title. Kolodziej is 23 years old, unbeaten in 20 fights and holder of the WBC youth title. It seems that Nagy is about to become a journeyman. He moved to cruiserweight because he didn't want to lose weight but he didn't gain extra muscle only fat. He wasn't a great puncher in SMW either, I wonder what his chances will be in this higher division.
Darien is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #87
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hungarian light middle Vilmos Balog(21-0) won a wide point decision over very decent journeyman Turguy Uzun(27-10) on a fight show in Germany yesterday.(120-108,119-109,119-109)
Odo is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #88
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
Hungarian light middle Vilmos Balog(21-0) won a wide point decision over very decent journeyman Turguy Uzun(27-10) on a fight show in Germany yesterday.(120-108,119-109,119-109)
Have you seen the fight Odo? There's no tv coverage of Balog's fights at all in Hungary. Serious step up and good win for Vili considering the level of opposition he faced so far. There are rumours that Box Team Vienna tries to sign Attila Kovács to fight Balog, which could give him some tv exposure and would make a good fight. The two fighters faced eachother twice at the amateurs and they're 1-1.

BTW Attila Kovács has dropped his IBO LMW belt.
Darien is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #89
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Have you seen the fight Odo? There's no tv coverage of Balog's fights at all in Hungary. Serious step up and good win for Vili considering the level of opposition he faced so far. There are rumours that Box Team Vienna tries to sign Attila Kovács to fight Balog, which could give him some tv exposure and would make a good fight. The two fighters faced eachother twice at the amateurs and they're 1-1.

BTW Attila Kovács has dropped his IBO LMW belt.
I havent seen Balog vs Turgay. I even doubt that their fight has been shown on tv.

You are right,darien. Good victory for your compatriot!

By the way who is the most promising Hungarian fighter to win a medal at the upcomming olympic games in china??
Odo is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #90
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
By the way who is the most promising Hungarian fighter to win a medal at the upcomming olympic games in china??
The two most promising fighters are Pál Bedák (48 kg) and Gyula Káté (64 kg). These two have the best resume and the most international experience out of the five qualified fighters.

My favourite however is Imre Szellő (81 kg). This will be Imre's last international tournament as an amateur if everything goes as planed: he'll turn pro after the olympics. Sauerland's men are watching him carefully. Imre spent a few days in Germany in Sau gym and sparred with Abraham back in February. Unfortunately Szellő had some kind of an eye infection and had to come home earlier than expected.

The other two fighters Norbert Kalucza (51 kg) and Miklós Varga (60 kg) are still very young and relatively inexperienced so I don't expect much of them.
Darien is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum