Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #91
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hungarian boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
The two most promising fighters are Pál Bedák (48 kg) and Gyula Káté (64 kg). These two have the best resume and the most international experience out of the five qualified fighters.

My favourite however is Imre Szellő (81 kg). This will be Imre's last international tournament as an amateur if everything goes as planed: he'll turn pro after the olympics. Sauerland's men are watching him carefully. Imre spent a few days in Germany in Sau gym and sparred with Abraham back in February. Unfortunately Szellő had some kind of an eye infection and had to come home earlier than expected.

The other two fighters Norbert Kalucza (51 kg) and Miklós Varga (60 kg) are still very young and relatively inexperienced so I don't expect much of them.
Sauerland?? I always thought that Kohl is the one who is quite fond of Hungarian fighters.

By the way does Szello fight for a living for one of those big amateur clubs in Germany? His name somehow sounds familiar to me!
I am not sure but I think that I have already seen one of Kate's fights.
Bedak? Hm! Not really sure anymore! Have never heard or seen neither Varga nor Kalucza.
Odo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #92
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
Sauerland?? I always thought that Kohl is the one who is quite fond of Hungarian fighters.

By the way does Szello fight for a living for one of those big amateur clubs in Germany? His name somehow sounds familiar to me!
I am not sure but I think that I have already seen one of Kate's fights.
Bedak? Hm! Not really sure anymore! Have never heard or seen neither Varga nor Kalucza.
Yes, since István Kovács the best Hungarians are usually signed by Kohl's Universum. It seems Sauerland tries to compete with Kohl in that regard, too. You know the Hungarian market is not that big, still there's some cash to collect here and Szellő is not a bad fighter at all.
As far as I know he's in a Hungarian club called KSC in his native town Kecskemét but I've heard he fought a few times in the German Bundesliga.

You might have seen Káté fight: he won the World Junior Championship in 2000, bronze medallist at the world champs in 2003 and has two bronze medals from the Euros in 2004 and 2006.

Pál Bedák is the younger brother of Universum's Zsolt Bedák. He won the European Cadet Championships in 2002 the European Junior Championships (2003) and the Junior World Championships (2004). Won bronze at the Euros in 2004, silver medal at the world champs in 2005 and won the EU championship in 2007 in Dublin.

Varga and Kalucza are very young but talented: Kalucza even beat Bedák once at the Hungarian championship's final (although some said it was a controversial win).
Darien is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #93
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

This thread's been dead for awhile now, so I thought I revive it. Professional boxing in Hungary is in a great decline since the retirement of Hungary's former no1 promoter Félix Rácz. Now it seems there's something going on. There's a good chance of an interesting event to take place in Győr, 12th September thanks to Zoltán Petrányi's Profibox Promotion. According to plans the bouts will include WBO welterweigth int-cont beltholder Christian Bladt vs tough Hugarain journeyman László Komjáthi, undefeated Sam Rukundo against Zsolt Nagy, János Petrovics vs former EBU champ Mamadou Thiam, Lasse Johansen vs László Hubert.

The main attraction however will be (and I still can't believe it's true) former undisputed heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe's comeback fight against the host (and Hungarian HW champ) Zoltán Petrányi!!! Well, Bowe is notorious about promising comebacks that never come through but this time he seems pretty certain, and according to Petrányi the contract is already signed.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Darien is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #94
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hungarian middle weight Vilmos Balog(21-0) will face German toughman Daniel Kaefer on the undercard of Riddick Bowe vs Petranyi in Hungary septembre the 12th.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #95
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Some Hungarian boxing news: Former successful amateur Zsolt Bedák captured the newly formed WBO European super-bantamweight belt in a 12 rounder against tough Spanish Franklin Teran in the undercard of the Braehmer - Kanfouah event on Saturday in Dresden, Germany.

His younger brother flyweight prospect Pál Bedák outpointed Serbian journeyman Kemal Plavci in a 4 rounder at the same night.

Newly crowned WBO super-middleweight titleholder Károly Balzsay will most likely defend his title for the first time in April against former WBA middleweight beltholder Maselino Masoe. If he beats the Samoan fighter his next fight will be held in Hungary in August where his next defence and Erdei's next figth will be the main event. At the same time the WBO will hold it's annual conference in Budapest.
Darien is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #96
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien View Post
If he beats the Samoan fighter his next fight will be held in Hungary in August where his next defence and Erdei's next figth will be the main event. At the same time the WBO will hold it's annual conference in Budapest.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #97
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
What's wrong Decebal?
Darien is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #98
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
What's wrong Decebal?

You know what's wrong. Just read the bit I marked out and put 2 and 2 together...!

...But...I'll say it again, I will withhold judgement on Balzsay's career for now...let him get these 2 gimmes out of the way. Then, I will want to see him prove that he's a worthy beltholder.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #99
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post

You know what's wrong. Just read the bit I marked out and put 2 and 2 together...!

...But...I'll say it again, I will withhold judgement on Balzsay's career for now...let him get these 2 gimmes out of the way. Then, I will want to see him prove that he's a worthy beltholder.
Well, you know Budapest and mainly István Kovács the European vice-president of the organisation has been fighting hard for some time to bring the annual conference to Budapest. As always at the time of the conference there's a boxing event organised and as there are two Hungarian WBO champs now it's logical they will show up at that event...
Darien is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #100
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well, you know Budapest and mainly István Kovács the European vice-president of the organisation has been fighting hard for some time to bring the annual conference to Budapest. As always at the time of the conference there's a boxing event organised and as there are two Hungarian WBO champs now it's logical they will show up at that event...
Yes, logical, it makes business sense, I'll grant you that. We'll see...as I said...we'll see.
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #101
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

my hungarian friends,is there any rumour who will be Balzsay's and Erdei's opponents on Hungary's great fight show august the 22nd?

Garay vs Erdei??
Rematch Inkin vs Balzsay??
Odo is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #102
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
my hungarian friends,is there any rumour who will be Balzsay's and Erdei's opponents on Hungary's great fight show august the 22nd?

Garay vs Erdei??
Rematch Inkin vs Balzsay??
Erdei vs Garay is in the works, the problem now is the money: ZDF doesn't really want to pay for this matchup. You know global recession... a good excuse for basically everything nowadays. Both Garay and Erdei want the match so there's a good chance it will happen.

No news on Balzsay's opponent yet, he'll have to get past Masoe first this weekend.
Darien is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #103
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Erdei vs Garay is in the works, the problem now is the money: ZDF doesn't really want to pay for this matchup. You know global recession... a good excuse for basically everything nowadays. Both Garay and Erdei want the match so there's a good chance it will happen.

No news on Balzsay's opponent yet, he'll have to get past Masoe first this weekend.
Garay vs Erdei III will be certainly fun to watch.I for one truly enjoyed watching their first two encounters.They are made for each other.

By the way rising German based Ukranian cruiser weight talent Alexander Frenkel(16-0) will fight an undefeated Hungarian on the undercard of Huck vs Rusal may the 9th.
Baling Turgonyi(9-0),ever watched one of his fights,darien??
Odo is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #104
papptheking
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

fallen brother
papptheking is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #105
Darien