Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Will amatuer heavyweight Roman Romanchuk go pro?

As AVK47 reports, Roman Romanchuk might go professional.

I think Romanchuk would make a fine additon to the profesisonal heavyweight ranks. The big lefty has an action ortiend crowd please type of style. Good height, good speed, good power. Romanchuk owns a 2-1 edge over Solis.

If he goes pro, he needs to add about 10 pounds. However Romanchuk has the type of frame to do so. If properly managed, I do think Romanchuk could make it to a European heavywight title match, and possibly a world title match.

Will Universum or Sauerland offer him a contract? or perhaps the Russian promtoer who has Oleg Platov?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Will amatuer heavyweight Roman Romanchuk go pro?

Romanchuk is naturally bigger than, say, Alexeev, so he can easily go heavyweight and has the height and power to do so. He has frequently threatened to go pro in the past, and it looks like he will go to the olympics.

His adopted brother Eduard Romanchuk is a pro boxer, so there is some experience in the family already.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

Well, he is not getting younger, 28 is even for HW pretty old to turn pro so if he wants to do it, now is the time. It woudn't make sense to wait another year trying to hope to make it to the Olympics. He has an entertaining style an an decent amateur resume so there should be some promoters interested.
NBT is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1151

I guess with an Olympic medal it is easy to make a good deal as a pro. I guess that\'s what keeps him among amateurs for another year.
Ivo is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

didnt he get his ass handed to him recently by an unkown???
unitas is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo
I guess with an Olympic medal it is easy to make a good deal as a pro. I guess that\'s what keeps him among amateurs for another year.
There can only be one Olympic gold medal given out every 4 years. I believe most amateur fighters should be no older than 28 years of age when turning pro as it will likely be 3-4 years before he fights a top ten ranked professional, and by that time he will be 32 years of age.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
Artani
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Why he wait to long to turn in profi. This is big mistake for one boxer. The fighter can stay only till 25 years in the amateurs and after to turn in profi.
Artani is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artani
Why he wait to long to turn in profi. This is big mistake for one boxer. The fighter can stay only till 25 years in the amateurs and after to turn in profi.
I think Romanchuk felt if he won the World Amateur championships ( He came in second at super heavy in the last torunmanet, losing in the finals in a thrilling points match to Solis! ) or the 2008 Olympics, he could expect a contract similar to Wlad's, Harrison’s, or Povektin's.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I think Romanchuk felt if he won the World Amateur championships ( He came in second at super heavy in the last torunmanet, losing in the finals in a thrilling points match to Solis! ) or the 2008 Olympics, he could expect a contract similar to Wlad's, Harrison’s, or Povektin's.
But he's not going to the olympics, so he is probably going to reassess his aims.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
Artani
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
This mistake was doing same Luan Krasniqi who stayed for long time in the amateurs and wants to beat Felix Savon at 1995 in world championship in Berlin and lost for second time from him. The 1996 was same scene who Krasniqi lost once again from Savon in the olimpics in Atlanta. Krasniqi turn in profi with 27 year old, and all experts told him him that this was one of his mistake.
Artani is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Grebfan9
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

What are Romanchuk's stats - height/weight/reach/age?

How many times has he been koed?

What is his style - puncher, boxer?

Grebfan9
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Grebfan9 is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grebfan9
What are Romanchuk's stats - height/weight/reach/age?

How many times has he been koed?

What is his style - puncher, boxer?

Grebfan9
I don't have his offical ring record, but this shoudl give you an idea of Romanchuk.

Pro: Looks to be about 6'4" 210 pounds. Maybe a bit taller. A Southpaw. Romanchuk has a linear build, similar to power forward in basketball. Long legs and arms. He has a great reach. He has his share of muscles too. Romanchuck moves very well for a heavyweight. He has good hand speed and footwork. His defense is good. Its a mix of a high guard, reflexes, and quick feet. Offensively, Romanchuck can combo to the head , or jab bend over and jab to the body. An accurate puncher. Power looks to be good. His stamina was very good, and his toughness and willingness to fight in exchanges is top notch. Chin looks good, bit great. It looks like Romancuk likes to fight. Romanchuk was very impressive in an early stoppage over 2000 Olympic bronze Savido Rustam, and beat 2004 Broze Olympian Camarelle. His stmaina and footwork are big reasons why he beat Cammarelle in the semi finals.

Con: Could use a few extra pounds. Then again he did move up from heavyweight to super heavyweight. Might be prone to be shoved around in the clinches by a strong heavyweight.

Comparison to a professional: Reminds me of: Looks a bit like fellow South paw Corrie Sanders. Not as powerful as Sanders. Fast, but not as fast as Sanders. Yet Romanchuk’s footwork, defense, stamina, and heart are a bit better than Sanders. Romanchuck is a good boxer up close or far away. IMO, a better boxer than Sanders. I believe Romanchuk can make a fine pro! He can match up with all styles. Most heavyweights do not move as well or have his type of stamina. Outpointing Romanchuk will not be easy. He needs to add 10 pounds if he goes pro.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
Grebfan9
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks Mendoza,
As always, you are a great wealth of knowledge. Romanchuk
sounds like to fighter to watch when he turns pro. Could really
move up the ranks. Hopefully, he will sign with a good promoter
and be moved along in the proper manner.

Grebfan9

Quote:
I don't have his offical ring record, but this shoudl give you an idea of Romanchuk.

Pro: Looks to be about 6'4" 210 pounds. Maybe a bit taller. A Southpaw. Romanchuk has a linear build, similar to power forward in basketball. Long legs and arms. He has a great reach. He has his share of muscles too. Romanchuck moves very well for a heavyweight. He has good hand speed and footwork. His defense is good. Its a mix of a high guard, reflexes, and quick feet. Offensively, Romanchuck can combo to the head , or jab bend over and jab to the body. An accurate puncher. Power looks to be good. His stamina was very good, and his toughness and willingness to fight in exchanges is top notch. Chin looks good, bit great. It looks like Romancuk likes to fight. Romanchuk was very impressive in an early stoppage over 2000 Olympic bronze Savido Rustam, and beat 2004 Broze Olympian Camarelle. His stmaina and footwork are big reasons why he beat Cammarelle in the semi finals.

Con: Could use a few extra pounds. Then again he did move up from heavyweight to super heavyweight. Might be prone to be shoved around in the clinches by a strong heavyweight.

Comparison to a professional: Reminds me of: Looks a bit like fellow South paw Corrie Sanders. Not as powerful as Sanders. Fast, but not as fast as Sanders. Yet Romanchuk’s footwork, defense, stamina, and heart are a bit better than Sanders. Romanchuck is a good boxer up close or far away. IMO, a better boxer than Sanders. I believe Romanchuk can make a fine pro! He can match up with all styles. Most heavyweights do not move as well or have his type of stamina. Outpointing Romanchuk will not be easy. He needs to add 10 pounds if he goes pro.
Grebfan9 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grebfan9
Thanks Mendoza,
As always, you are a great wealth of knowledge. Romanchuk
sounds like to fighter to watch when he turns pro. Could really
move up the ranks. Hopefully, he will sign with a good promoter
and be moved along in the proper manner.
You're welcome. I think Romanchuk will make a good professional is he goes opts to fight professionally. How good he can be remains to be seen. I think Romanchuck's upside is a bit more than say, Laun Krasniqui. Roman can box from the outside, go toe to toe, or throw punches in bunches. The power, reach, and speed look to be real difference makers for Romanchuk. Not on Wlad’s level, but good enough to make a difference in his matches for sure.

Roman needs some fine tuning as all amateurs do. The big question is how is Romanchuk’s mind and chin? He upset and taken out by the current hard hitting Euro champ ( His first stoppage loss that I am aware of ), and seems to have regressed a bit skill wise. Or has he?

By going professional now, Romanchuck has a near 2 year jump on the fighters going to the Olympics. This means if properly managed, he can get a title shot ( either Euro or World ) as early as 2010-2001, while the other fighters going to the 2008 Olympics won’t be ready to at least 2012.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
You're welcome. I think Romanchuk will make a good professional is he goes opts to fight professionally. How good he can be remains to be seen. I think Romanchuck's upside is a bit more than say, Laun Krasniqui. Roman can box from the outside, go toe to toe, or throw punches in bunches. The power, reach, and speed look to be real difference makers for Romanchuk. Not on Wlad’s level, but good enough to make a difference in his matches for sure.

Roman needs some fine tuning as all amateurs do. The big question is how is Romanchuk’s mind and chin? He upset and taken out by the current hard hitting Euro champ ( His first stoppage loss that I am aware of ), and seems to have regressed a bit skill wise. Or has he?

By going professional now, Romanchuck has a near 2 year jump on the fighters going to the Olympics. This means if properly managed, he can get a title shot ( either Euro or World ) as early as 2010-2001, while the other fighters going to the 2008 Olympics won’t be ready to at least 2012.
The problem with Romanchuk is that he tends to get into wars when he could easily have won by boxing his opponent. Both of his famous upsets, in the Europeans against Poyatsika and in this years Russian nationals against Rakhim Chakhiev were because he elected to stand toe-to-toe against short stocky guys he could have outboxed by sticking and moving.
avk47 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum