Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #31
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Cotto was who I first thought of, especially on the Brit forum.

Everyone also seems to love Nigel Benn
I know, where did all the Cotto avvys come from? When I had mine it wasn't in fashion. It is a good point, though- I think he is definately the Brit Forum's collective favourite fighter (my second).

CURRENT/RECENT:

If we don't include the retards on the general, then JMM should be in this list; Izzy Vasquez; Gamboa (everyone is really excited about him and rightly so); Jean Pascal; Hasegawa; maybe Chris John as well; I think Segura is well on his way to getting a lot of fans as well; John Murray.

PAST:

Specifically on the Brit foum, I've never seen any crap directed towards: John Thaxton (rightly gets his praise amongst the hardcore fans and I have never seen a negative comment directed towards him); Bruno; Lewis; Buchannan; Arguello; Duran; Hearns; Hagler.

Any more?

Last edited by Losfer_Words; 06-07-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Typo. May the ESB grammar Gods forgive me.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #32
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 8,622
vCash: 1075
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

I did a poll a while back, Manny (1) and Mayweather (2) were miles ahead in terms of popularity, with Cotto and JMM a distant but comfortable 3rd and 4th place respectively. Both Haye and Khan, surprisingly, made the top ten. The big notable was Gamboa, who was consistenly mentioned.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #33
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 8,622
vCash: 1075
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Not a perfect poll, but I think the results are an interesting snapshot/sample:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #34
Losfer_Words
★★★ 2 TONE EXPRESS ★★★
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 5,702
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cepillo View Post
I did a poll a while back, Manny (1) and Mayweather (2) were miles ahead in terms of popularity, with Cotto and JMM a distant but comfortable 3rd and 4th place respectively. Both Haye and Khan, surprisingly, made the top ten.
That may be so, but what I'm specifically asking is for fighters who you never hear anyone bitch about, not a list of favourite fighters.
Losfer_Words is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #35
mryeags
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: uk
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Domestically you gotta say Rendall Munroes in there ....
mryeags is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #36
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 5,255
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Jason Booth? Maybe not well liked/supported but i think people have a respect for his quiet determination
wrimc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #37
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: S Wales
Posts: 5,922
vCash: 2019
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Choi.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #38
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 8,622
vCash: 1075
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfer_Words View Post
That may be so, but what I'm specifically asking is for fighters who you never hear anyone bitch about, not a list of favourite fighters.
Vasquez comes to mind. Never heard a bad word said against him.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #39
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #40
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of England
Posts: 4,329
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Interesting subject this

It's made me think a bit about the attitude & the public perception of boxers today & how they were percieved or expected to be in my experiance over the last 30+ years.

All the above named fighters of today & many many more really behave as gentleman in comparison too the fighters of the 60's/70'/80's where a more moody vicious brutal intense persona was approved of & expected & not a flying **** care given as in the fictitious CLUBBER LAING from rocky fame.

Of course this maybe was all employed acting/hype (or maybe not) too get the neccessary rep to get you noticed & get you a shot at earning yer daily crust & it was only a crust in comparison to the mega HBO $$$$$ that one fight can make a todays fighter which no doubt reflecks the more civilised & popular manner of todays fighters in personal interviews & media obligations as in COTTO/DLH who was mentioned as just one example.

There is'nt the big bad mouthy bad bastards around today & if the was a villian & thats taking liberty with the word i suppose Mayweather is attempting to claim that handle but he's more joke pantomime villian that a real mean ****er, some play good guy some the bad guy & some were just down right nasty.

I suppose Tyson/Camacho 80's ect Toney 90's gave it the **** you! Eubank was the foil to Benn ect in the UK, I think boxing does miss this sort of charactor's & as the old saying goes, most of the time "Nice guys finish last" & history will always remember & be written for the villians.

There's no more real Mr public bad guy's around today as in the past
duranimal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #41
djoc175
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,447
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Hatton. Not on here but the people who slag him off here only represent a small %. He could still fill a stadium. Not many active British fighters could do that. Maybe Haye and Khan but it would probably depend on the opponent.
djoc175 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #42
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Interesting subject this

It's made me think a bit about the attitude & the public perception of boxers today & how they were percieved or expected to be in my experiance over the last 30+ years.

All the above named fighters of today & many many more really behave as gentleman in comparison too the fighters of the 60's/70'/80's where a more moody vicious brutal intense persona was approved of & expected & not a flying **** care given as in the fictitious CLUBBER LAING from rocky fame.

Of course this maybe was all employed acting/hype (or maybe not) too get the neccessary rep to get you noticed & get you a shot at earning yer daily crust & it was only a crust in comparison to the mega HBO $$$$$ that one fight can make a todays fighter which no doubt reflecks the more civilised & popular manner of todays fighters in personal interviews & media obligations as in COTTO/DLH who was mentioned as just one example.

There is'nt the big bad mouthy bad bastards around today & if the was a villian & thats taking liberty with the word i suppose Mayweather is attempting to claim that handle but he's more joke pantomime villian that a real mean ****er, some play good guy some the bad guy & some were just down right nasty.

I suppose Tyson/Camacho 80's ect Toney 90's gave it the **** you! Eubank was the foil to Benn ect in the UK, I think boxing does miss this sort of charactor's & as the old saying goes, most of the time "Nice guys finish last" & history will always remember & be written for the villians.

There's no more real Mr public bad guy's around today as in the past
i get what you mean. the only one i can think of who the "bad" guy is anthony small
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #43
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Barrera !!!!!!!!!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #44
HMSTempleGarden
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,353
vCash: 2522
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Mikkel Kessler.
HMSTempleGarden is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #45
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 587
Default Re: The Most Liked Fighter In Boxing Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMSTempleGarden View Post
Mikkel Kessler.
....
realsoulja is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013