Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179
Default Re: Miguel Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuppercut View Post
I never do gushy threads like this but I'm a massive Cotton fan and I'm thrilled he won last night and captured another world title.
I prefer linen. Linen KO 9 Cotton

In all seriousness though I've got mad love for Cotto as well. His resume of fighters fought is pretty outstanding when you look at it. True warrior
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I think he should look to rematch Margarito.

There's no evidence to suggest that Margarito cheated in their first fight - his wraps were approved after all..... under different rules as well (gauze is provided by the commission in Nevada).
There is no evidence, the wraps were checked by the NSAC and all that, but it seems unlikely that he'd just suddenly decide to start using illegal wraps 44 fights into his pro career. Plus Mosley was seen as a less dangerous opponent than Cotto, so why would he use illegal wraps for Mosley and not Cotto?

Most convincingly though, Margarito's KO ratio didn't decline when he stepped up to the world class level, in fact, it improved. Not sure how anyone could explain that away.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I wouldn't get too carried away, he's going to have his work cut out at 154lbs. I can't see him beating Alfredo Angulo for example. A bigger, harder punching Margarito? Not a good look.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cepillo View Post
There is no evidence, the wraps were checked by the NSAC and all that, but it seems unlikely that he'd just suddenly decide to start using illegal wraps 44 fights into his pro career. Plus Mosley was seen as a less dangerous opponent than Cotto, so why would he use illegal wraps for Mosley and not Cotto?

Most convincingly though, Margarito's KO ratio didn't decline when he stepped up to the world class level, in fact, it improved. Not sure how anyone could explain that away.
So has Pacquiao's

In all seriousness...... it's a fair point. The best guess would be that fighting longer fights you are more likely to stop opponents.... plus plenty of his world class opposition was at the back end of their career and had been stopped before.

Mosley on the other hand would probably be favoured to go the full 12 with pretty much anyone at welterweight, especially fighters of the calibre of Margarito - I'd say he's a worse style matchup than Cotto as well (in hindsight of course).

FYI I'd picked Margarito by KO at the time of the fight because of Cotto's stamina issues in previous fights.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
So has Pacquiao's

In all seriousness...... it's a fair point. The best guess would be that fighting longer fights you are more likely to stop opponents.... plus plenty of his world class opposition was at the back end of their career and had been stopped before.

Mosley on the other hand would probably be favoured to go the full 12 with pretty much anyone at welterweight, especially fighters of the calibre of Margarito - I'd say he's a worse style matchup than Cotto as well (in hindsight of course).

FYI I'd picked Margarito by KO at the time of the fight because of Cotto's stamina issues in previous fights.
I'd love to see a rematch by the way. Not sure Cotto fancies it though.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohuty7v8c0A[/ame]
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cepillo View Post

nsac provided the wraps but didn't margo stuff his handwraps with a plaster pad?
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
hagman1989
the boxing site , try it
ESB Addict

top fighter top bloke and top entertainment
hagman1989 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #24
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Cotto/Angulo
Cotto/Williams
Cotto/Martirosyan
Cotto/Cintron

How do people see these?
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
hagman1989
the boxing site , try it
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Cotto/Angulo
Cotto/Williams
Cotto/Martirosyan
Cotto/Cintron

How do people see these?
cotto close ud
cotto ud
cotto tko/ko mid to late
cotto tko/ko mid to late

plus one martinez martnez wide ud
hagman1989 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #26
Ectoplasm
BOXING IS DEAD
ESB Senior Member

Cotto vs. Berto is the fight I want to see.
Ectoplasm is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #27
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagman1989 View Post
cotto close ud
cotto ud
cotto tko/ko mid to late
cotto tko/ko mid to late

plus one martinez martnez wide ud
Explain how he beats Williams and Angulo to me.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Explain how he beats Williams and Angulo to me.

im guessing that cotto's seemingly improved footwork, greater speed and over all better technical boxing than angulo could be reasons but im playing devils advocate here because angulo may be a more technically sound, bigger version of margarito that will inevitably get to cotto and slow him down enough to stop him late

i cant see cotto beating williams but then again who knows because quintana did and (imo) martinez did. williams probably too long and too active for cotto

still though ive always like a lot of people had a soft spot for cotto, it would be awesome if he could come back better than ever
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Why are you thinking his footwork is improved? He's only had the one fight against a guy that wouldn't be put in the class of any of these guys, or any of his recent opponents. I mean we could have said every part of his game was improved against Jennings...it looked like it?

I'm half joking, Foreman is clearly better than Jennings but my point is when he gets into the ring with a real live junior middle why wouldn't we assume the same old problems aren't going to rear their ugly head? What happens when the first 6 rounds are competetive and his opponents keeps coming strong again and again? How has he gone from backpedalling against Clottey who was strong and durable and never budged, but never actually did anything much, and having had a good start against Pacquiao and completely fading...to now beating the windmilling awkwardness of Williams to the rugged almost impossible to discourage aggression of Angulo?

I just don't see it, I think Cotto's best days are well gone and he's going to struggle with all these guys mostly.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #30
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Why are you thinking his footwork is improved? He's only had the one fight against a guy that wouldn't be put in the class of any of these guys, or any of his recent opponents. I mean we could have said every part of his game was improved against Jennings...it looked like it?

I'm half joking, Foreman is clearly better than Jennings but my point is when he gets into the ring with a real live junior middle why wouldn't we assume the same old problems aren't going to rear their ugly head? What happens when the first 6 rounds are competetive and his opponents keeps coming strong again and again? How has he gone from backpedalling against Clottey who was strong and durable and never budged, but never actually did anything much, and having had a good start against Pacquiao and completely fading...to now beating the windmilling awkwardness of Williams to the rugged almost impossible to discourage aggression of Angulo?

I just don't see it, I think Cotto's best days are well gone and he's going to struggle with all these guys mostly.

i was thinking that his footwork looked more intelligent and patient rather than his constant stalking which when up against someone who wasnt really intimidated he buckled. then again he lost a fight to a p4p no 1 and against a widely discredited cheat so the 'same old problems' could be a bit harsh whilst i felt the cut against clottely detrimentally affected him and could the extra 2 pound cut, lack of a real trainer which in turn meant he didnt have any clear gameplan have contributed to his loss v pacquiao?

maybe im clutching at straws here cos he really is one of my favourite fighters. the points in bold are clearly valid but i dont see why he cant beat margarito, go back to 147 beat berto beat say tim bradely and then fight mayweather(which he would lose) once he beats pac. a bit too far fetched?
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum