boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Is Hagler vs. Hearns Over Rated?

HERE ME OUT! HERE ME OUT!

I'm not trying to get my ass kicked, guys! I have a few reasons for asking the question:
  1. Hagler won all three rounds IMO
  2. Hearns' legs were GONE after the "first round"
  3. Hearns broke his hand in the first round and couldn't throw his best weapon properly (The Straight Right) for the rest of the fight
  4. With the exception of a right upper cut that split Hagler's head open, Marvelous walked through everything the Hitman threw.
  5. The only time it REALLY looked like Marvin was in trouble was when Richard Steele had the doctor look at his cut
The fight is awesome but it's the first round (The Best in 160lb history) that really makes it. I talked to Jim Watt and he felt Hagler ran over Hearns like a bus.

I rate several fights above it in terms of two way action. Barrera vs. Morales 1 & 3, Corrales vs. Castillo, De La Hoya vs. Mosley, Marquez vs. Vazquez 1, 2 & 3. I appreciate that these fights lasted longer.

The fight is stand out for the first round and Caesars Palace in complete uproar but not as the timeless classic that it's made out to be.
TG1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Hagler vs. Hearns Over Rated?

: Just kidding
Hell no it wasn't overrated one of my favorite fights of all time.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp C View Post
: Just kidding
Hell no it wasn't overrated one of my favorite fights of all time.
Totally understood bro. I just feel that it's one way traffic and a classic fight is usually more competitive than this one!

Not trying to offend anyone as both guys are Gods.
TG1 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
HMSTempleGarden
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2522

no where near being overated.

it was the biggest fight at the time and both came out like it was 12th round needing to win it to make sure they won the fight!!

It wasn't dubbed "The WAR" for nothing!!
HMSTempleGarden is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Trendkiller
ESB Full Member

vCash: 165

nonsense post.... a short but brilliant fight. WAR.
Trendkiller is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkiller View Post
nonsense post.... a short but brilliant fight. WAR.
I wouldnt say it was nonsense bud but each their own. I made 5 back up examples of why I felt it wasn't competitive. Do you not fancy addressing any of them?
TG1 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Trendkiller
ESB Full Member

vCash: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
I wouldnt say it was nonsense bud but each their own. I made 5 back up examples of why I felt it wasn't competitive. Do you not fancy addressing any of them?
Ok, I totally see you're points are valid, but to say its over rated is nonsense. The points you make are just incidents and actions that happen in fights with a higher level of violence. Forget about all those things, just watch and enjoy a hell of a fight.

Oh and also, although Hagler was bossing the fight certainly, Hearns was standing toe to toe and giving it back, the tempo was immense.
Trendkiller is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Mosley/DLH over Hagler/Hearns? Are you drunk?
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆

Quote:

I'm not trying to get my ass kicked, guys! I have a few reasons for asking the question:
  3. Hearns broke his hand in the first round and couldn't throw his best weapon properly (The Straight Right) for the rest of the fight
  4. With the exception of a right upper cut that split Hagler's head open, Marvelous walked through everything the Hitman threw.
  5. The only time it REALLY looked like Marvin was in trouble was when Richard Steele had the doctor look at his cut
The fight is awesome but it's the first round (The Best in 160lb history) that really makes it. I talked to Jim Watt and he felt Hagler ran over Hearns like a bus.

I rate several fights above it in terms of two way action. Barrera vs. Morales 1 & 3, Corrales vs. Castillo, De La Hoya vs. Mosley, Marquez vs. Vazquez 1, 2 & 3. I appreciate that these fights lasted longer.

The fight is stand out for the first round and Caesars Palace in complete uproar but not as the timeless classic that it's made out to be.
I see your point, and I admire your guts for taking on a sacred cow.

As a big Hagler fan, it's amazing to me, and not just for the fight itself. To me, sometimes boxing involves more than just the fight. The lead up, the expectations, the characters involved, etc. I don't think anyone expected the fight to go down like that, except for maybe the Petronelli brothers. I think it was Goody who said that "he's gonna knock Tommy Hearns out." Was he just talking smack? That's a bold prediction, but it came true! The whole thing is just gonzo.

Is it a great fight involving a lot of back and forth? No, you're right, but it's still a great fight.
Boggle is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Mosley/DLH over Hagler/Hearns? Are you drunk?
I need to make myself clear here mate. I ****ing love Hagler vs. Hearns but it's ALL Hagler. Tommy looked shagged after 3 minutes and if you believe the rumours, then there's reasons for that.

De La Hoya vs. Mosley and the other fights I mentioned all contained two way magic and the result was in doubt until the end - Particularly Corrales vs. Castillo.

I rate Oscar and Shane 1 as one of the best fights at 147lbs EVER!
TG1 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkiller View Post
Ok, I totally see you're points are valid, but to say its over rated is nonsense. The points you make are just incidents and actions that happen in fights with a higher level of violence. Forget about all those things, just watch and enjoy a hell of a fight.

Oh and also, although Hagler was bossing the fight certainly, Hearns was standing toe to toe and giving it back, the tempo was immense.
Yes, and also this.
Boggle is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
I see your point, and I admire your guts for taking on a sacred cow.

As a big Hagler fan, it's amazing to me, and not just for the fight itself. To me, sometimes boxing involves more than just the fight. The lead up, the expectations, the characters involved, etc. I don't think anyone expected the fight to go down like that, except for maybe the Petronelli brothers. I think it was Goody who said that "he's gonna knock Tommy Hearns out." Was he just talking smack? That's a bold prediction, but it came true! The whole thing is just gonzo.

Is it a great fight involving a lot of back and forth? No, you're right, but it's still a great fight.
This

And thanks for being honest!
TG1 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
Hitman-Fan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1615

Quote:

FAIL

Hitman-Fan is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆

Quote:
I need to make myself clear here mate. I ****ing love Hagler vs. Hearns but it's ALL Hagler. Tommy looked shagged after 3 minutes and if you believe the rumours, then there's reasons for that.
Emanuel Steward has a way of justifying everything, doesn't he? I'm not saying the rumours can't be true, but the fact that the guy does this so frequently makes him seem suspect. I am wary of what he says. Just sayin.
Boggle is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman-Fan View Post
FAIL

Yeah you made some great points as to why? Address points 1-5 and take Legendary Nights out your DVD player for two minutes!
TG1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum