Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Miguel Cotto: still counted out

So, Cotto moves up to 154, beats an undefeated titlist who was expected to give him all sorts of trouble (even though he was favourite to win), looks as good as he has done in recent years and what happens? People start picking the victory apart and saying that Cotto was flattered by Foreman's limitations.

Well, why the hell weren't people saying that before? Plenty of knowledgeable opinion-former's suggested Cotto was shop-worn and that Foreman's time was now. They praised his footwork, his hand-speed, his underrated power and, after the fight? All those things were gone it seems. Then they still say Cotto struggled.

I'm sad that so many people are saying: "He'll lose if he steps up again." Anyone agree?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900
Default Re: Miguel Cotto: still counted out

Cotto definitely proved me wrong. I was convinced Foreman would UD him and props to you for calling the fight for Cotto. I havent watched the Foreman-Cotto fight yet, but based on what I have seen of Foreman beforehand, this is an excellent scalp for Cotto.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

People's perceptions of Cotto are probably my number one gripe on ESB at the moment. The guy is a great fighter on his day, yet people always focus on his flaws.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He has a glaring flaw; pressure fighters.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Cottos win has been well recieved. Most people now have him top 10 p4p again.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
ed7890
Col. Hunter Gathers
ESB Addict

vCash: 1127

Well, we've seen him get battered twice now. Foremann isn't the strongest fighter at 154, you'd have to worry about Cotto taking another beating off one of the heavier hitters.
ed7890 is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

That's the whole thing. Every fighter has flaws. Manny Pacquaio struggles with guys who can back him and time him. Floyd doesn't like southpaws or volume punchers. Mosley struggles with boxers.

It's the fact that, soon as Cotto put on a really good performance, where he kept disciplined, people want to discredit it. I can certainly understand someone saying Cotto still needs to prove his capabilities against someone better, but let's celebrate him for doing what most people didn't think he'd do: outbox Foreman and control him all night with his jab.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well, we've seen him get battered twice now. Foremann isn't the strongest fighter at 154, you'd have to worry about Cotto taking another beating off one of the heavier hitters
What has that got to do with my point? Everyone gets battered by Manny right now. Stylistically, Margarito and Pacquaio are the exact types of fighter that Cotto would struggle with. One who's relentless in his pressure (1,000 punches a fight FFS) and can take almost all punishment thrown at him, and another who's so fast and busy (another guy that can throw 1,000 a fight) that few can keep up with him. And he had successes against both of them - it's not like he just rolled over.

So, two very unusual cases that he faced and lost to, along with a struggle against an awkward guy like Clottey, who he'd have beaten easily if he'd not been cut and had kept boxing smart rather than slugging.

Not sure that's cause to say he's faded particularly. He had a bad run, with some very impressive performances during that time - even in losing.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
That's the whole thing. Every fighter has flaws. Manny Pacquaio struggles with guys who can back him and time him. Floyd doesn't like southpaws or volume punchers. Mosley struggles with boxers.

It's the fact that, soon as Cotto put on a really good performance, where he kept disciplined, people want to discredit it. I can certainly understand someone saying Cotto still needs to prove his capabilities against someone better, but let's celebrate him for doing what most people didn't think he'd do: outbox Foreman and control him all night with his jab.
How do you think Cotto woul do agaisnt other Light Middles?

Williams
Martinez
Angulo
Cintron
Dzinzurik
Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
People start picking the victory apart and saying that Cotto was flattered by Foreman's limitations.

Well, why the hell weren't people saying that before?
Some of us were
icemax is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #11
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico

cotto made margarito look ****e for the first 6 rounds
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
How do you think Cotto woul do agaisnt other Light Middles?

Williams
Martinez
Angulo
Cintron
Dzinzurik
Williams brings volume but not much pop. Also, he's not difficult to find. If Martinez could land a hard timed counter early on because of Williams' recklessness (he throws a lot but most of them hit air - simple fact), so can Cotto. But I can see an SD either way.

Martinez was getting outboxed by Pavlik at some points using timing. Also, Martinez punches with poor form but hits deceptively hard. Can't see Cotto winning this against a guy who's effective at 160, but it could be interesting and close till the last third when Cotto gets stopped.

Angulo... well, I've not seen too much of him. Struggles with movement, can be outboxed, but applies steady pressure and punches hard. Cotto can definitely beat him, but this would be a thriller if Angulo can get off with some good combos. I'd go for a Cotto UD.

Cotto beats Cintron and does so easily. Cintron telegraphs his big right and his boxing skills are passable, but nothing special. Cotto's bodywork would take the life from the defensively weak Puerto Rican, and Cintron would fold around the seventh.

Not seen anything of Dzinzurik, but from what I've read he's well-schooled and technical, and would present Cotto with serious problems.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Some of us were
yes, you were. But it was still a good performance from Cotto. It's not like he struggled with Foreman, which would lead me to say Cotto was definitely faded. He outclassed Foreman in every department, only dropping one round by consensus on the scorecards.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Angulo has the style to smash Cotto IMO, regardless of how ****e he is.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
yes, you were. But it was still a good performance from Cotto. It's not like he struggled with Foreman, which would lead me to say Cotto was definitely faded. He outclassed Foreman in every department, only dropping one round by consensus on the scorecards.
In terms of being a shutout it was as close as they get.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum